User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by david14700 View Post
    The wooden heads are really quite beautiful and elegant.

The craftsmanship needed to turn such a light piece of wood into a thin, strong frame must have been amazing.

Wondered what they were like to play with?
    Play with it back in the 70's. They weren't as heavy. Had the Dunlop and Yonex, both strung with natural and the good thing is that singles or doubles than, we use the same racket, string, tension and it was really up to our strokes and skill than to stand out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by featherbeater View Post
    Attachment 149929
    Borrowed this photo from the internet. Do you know which year Carlton changed to the logo with the long tail?
    Hi there!
    By the 'long tail' are you referring to the logo of the racket with the red T-joint?
    AFAIK it's just a slight modification of the '3 shuttles' logo to blend in esthetically to the design of the T-joint. I've 2 Carltons I used from the late 80s from the one-piece frame Classic series, the Composite Classic and Procomposite Classic, that still had the '3 shuttles' logo on them. the previous range of rackets made by Carlton in the early 80s also had the T-joint still, including the Carbon Classic, Boron Classic & the Morten Frost Classic were also embellished with the old '3 Shuttles" logo. I used these 3 models when I was still playing competitvely then. By the time the early 90s came along I had stopped using Carlton for a while I didn'[t relish the thought of using Carltons NOT made in England anymore. The next Carlton I did use next was in the early 2000s, probably from the Powerblade or Airblade range and I wasn't particularly fond of them. I guess my memories of these 2000s era ones were quite vague simply because they didn't play very well and felt somewhat generic and 'robotic' in feel. Well, that's just sharing my idiosyncretic impressions of what the older Carltons were like for me. I apologize for the rambling!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoCopter View Post
    Play with it back in the 70's. They weren't as heavy. Had the Dunlop and Yonex, both strung with natural and the good thing is that singles or doubles than, we use the same racket, string, tension and it was really up to our strokes and skill than to stand out.
    I concur. I still regularly with wooden rackets, thrice weekly, all doubles games though, but I must say that unless I face a player of superior skills to mine I can still put up a pretty good fight with someone of equivalent skill level when I use my 'woodie'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see, so the long tail was a 'stylish' variation that happened sometime in the 80's. Thanks for the update!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see, so the long tail was a 'stylish' variation that happened sometime in the 80's. Thanks for the update!
    I took a second look at the pic you included earlier. I recall the now that the T-joint 'Classic' series of rackets incl. the Boron Classic, Carbon Classic & Morten Frost CLassic had that stylized 'long-tail' 3 Shuttles logo as well. These came out towards the 'tail-end' of the 70s and into the early 80s followed next by the one-piece Classic series as I mentioned in the earlier part of the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok now it's getting interesting as we have narrowed it down to late 70's- early 80's. Along with the long tail, the rackets also had the words 'Made in England' printed on the shaft. Before this, the shafts were blank like the 3.7x shown earlier in this thread. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Along with the long tail, the rackets also had the words 'Made in England' printed on the shaft. Before this, the shafts were blank like the 3.7x shown earlier in this thread.
    If my memory serves me correct, the T-joint 'Classic' series with the 'long-tail' stylized logo could very well be the last ones to have the 'Made-in-England' tag. The next series along - the one-piece frame 'Classic' series didn't have that printed on the frame at all and I suspected manufacture was out-sourced to an Asian country, possibly Taiwan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Along with the long tail, the rackets also had the words 'Made in England' printed on the shaft. Before this, the shafts were blank like the 3.7x shown earlier in this thread.
    The T-joint 'Classic' series were the last rackets I believe that were still made in UK, hence the 'Made in England' tag. The next series along - the one-piece 'Classic's didn't have that printed on the frames anymore and I suspect that production had been out-sourced to an Asian country, most likely Taiwan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen pictures of some quite interesting looking Carltons with tails (ha ha) on the internet. Most of their owners do not know when the rackets were made. What's lacking are dated advertisements or catalogs from that era. I can't find any on the internet, except for the one advertisement printed during the launch of the 3.7s. Even with that, the date is unknown. It wasn't because Carltons marketing wasn't done properly. I remember being given lots of little shuttlecock shaped stickers and booklets by my uncle who frequented the Bras Basah shops. The problem could be a lack of interest in Carlton. So no one bothered to save the literature, or scan them for sharing on the internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:  20140526_083451.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  32.1 KBName:  20140526_083545.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  27.7 KB

This is my Wooden Yonex Collection
    Superlight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Superlight for sharing those pix with us, the rackets look great!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3