Best shuttlecocks to buy in $14-$16 price range?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by chango-wongo, Feb 18, 2011.

1. chango-wongo

chango-wongo Regular Member

Hi All,

I'm looking for the best-bang for the buck shuttles in the $14-$16 dollar price range. I am located in CA, USA, so any place with free/low shipping and tax free is highly desired.

I've tried religent oranges for $14 from SGVBC, good flight but very lacking in durability
    I've tried D&A yellow for $16, pretty good but i think i can get something better.
    D&A orange and black are trash to me.
    I've gotten Aerosensa 20's for $19, I'm satisfied but again out of my price range.
    I am thinking about hi-qua blue's from mybadminstore for about $17, but that price is really pushing my limit.

Badminton warehouse has alot of shuttles in this price range such as mmoa-86, youhe 500, tactic zinc, and tronex. Has anyone tried these shuttles?

I know aeroplane are generally regarded as best bang for the buck, but it is out of my price range. If aeroplane EG was on a scale of 100, how would you rate your recommended shuttle RELATIVE to the aeroplane EG? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. badder

badder Regular Member

I guess you have to take into account of how many tubes you use normally. In general, Aeroplane Black (EG) is about 1.5 times durable than D&A yellow, then assume you use one tube Aeroplane a month, for a year,

Aeroplane Black (EG) $20*12=$240
    For D&A Yellow $16*12*1.5=$288

If you use a lot every month, then go for one or two boxes of 50 tubes and you will get discounted price anyway.

$14-$16 is not a cost effective price range. Those listed at badmintonwarehouse is not durable. Also the HIQUA blue at mybadmintonstore is not the HIQUA blue here in USA, the later is on par with Aeroplane Black (if not, then at least on par with Aerooplane RED).

One more thing, don't buy any other Yonex shuttlecocks because they are simply not cost effective. Only Yonex shuttlecocks you should buy are AS50/40, because no one else makes them.

3. chango-wongo

Here's my situation.

After a few weeks of playing at the club there are basically 4 uses of birdies that I noticied. Aeroplane red (people who work there), AS-30 (higher level players and some college students), DHS 306 and D&A black (the older generation who go to the club on a consistent basis).

Against ppl who fork out the aeroplane and AS's, I have no problem bringing out a high-mid to high tier shuttle. Now against people who use the DHS and D&A black, I rather bring out something "cheaper." Most game uses up 4 birdies anyways (regardless of low or high quality shuttles), if i bring out a high quality shuttle that is actually durable, I'll just be saving 2 people's cheap shuttles. At the same time i've been spoiled by aeroplane black a few years back so I dont want to be buying the same crap either. Actually thinking some more the DHS306 actually performs very well at $9/tube but I figure I would compromise and wonder if there's anything worth getting at the mid level range.

Oh also, my partner and I are basically "strangers" at the club, we found ppl that split up a box D&A and DHS, but no one who orders aeroplanes by the box.

4. badder

badder Regular Member

DHS306 is $65 for 5 on ebay, if that is what you are thinking to get.

The web site selling D&A list RSL No 5 $250 for 25 tubes, which I believe is a very good price in this grade range but I don't know if they still have in stock. RSL No5 is a lot better than D&A black in my experience.

Sure, you need two types of shuttlecocks, high grade and low grade, depends who is playing what. Aeroplane Black or Red is certainly not for recreational.

5. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

go to shuttlecombo website and you'll find their own brand which is a fairly good price. I tested it and write a review on them in the forum, and I would say if you're looking for a well-priced shuttle this is alright. It won't last as long as the Aeroplane or the Chao Pai but it's a decent buy

6. chango-wongo

Can you elaborate on the difference between the mybadmintonstore hi-qua blue and the hi-qua blue from USA? both are in the $18-$20 dollar price range so i would imagine they would be the same?

I will need to need hit up shuttlecombo directly whenever I drive up north again, although I'd probably end up getting chao pai's.

7. badder

badder Regular Member

I don't know the difference, but HIQUA blue at

http://www.hiquasports.com/badminton/shuttlecock-new-bulk-rate-available/

is obvious different from those at mybadmintonstore, where HIQUA RED appears to be the top grade. HIQUA purple is also different.

8. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    hiqua reds from MBS was not worth my 20$

9. wguan126

wguan126 Regular Member

[MENTION=69003]chango-wongo[/MENTION], so after 2 years, what do you use and where do you buy now?

10. winex

winex Regular Member

Business Owner
    YOUHE Y200 - $15/tube

Try YOUHE Y200 at http://www.badmintonian.com/collections/shuttlecocks/products/youhe-y200

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I have to agree the Youhe Y200 at this price is excellent. Youhe factory is close to my company's factory and I visit them often. They are serious people with great quality control. The Y200 lacks a little in feeling but have a great flight pattern.Nevertheless, you might want to consider ou bs300 which is close to Hi-qua blue, and that we sell 15$, surface shipping included (that means about a month to arrive to your door.)You can visit our website : www.bauhinia-sport.comCheers

12. vile10

vile10 Regular Member

I also heard good things about youhe but have not tried it, one of the greatest benefits of working in China is that you get so many choices

13. chienming

chienming Regular Member

manager
    I would recommend my Victor Gold. It is real good quality and value. the price only $15-$17. We can usually play one to two game.