Hallo! from a Malaysian living in Cambridge

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by fiish, Feb 19, 2011.

1. fiish

fiish Regular Member

Engineer
    Hallo! I'm a Malaysian living and working in Cambridge, UK. By profession I am an electrical/electronic engineer and I work for a microchip design firm. Before moving to Cambridge I was a student of the University of London.

I'm fairly new to this forum, having joined last November. Although I played badminton as a boy in Malaysia it was not regular, more just socially with family and I never really picked up correct technique. My little sister took lessons at school and I got pasted a lot :S

In the past year, I was getting injured too much during football and decided to switch to badminton for sport. I realized most of the guys my age (I'm 25) who play are much, much better, so have decided to make some serious improvement to my game. Not playing badminton for a few years was a bit of a blessing as I seem to have forgotten childhood bad habits, so the past 4-5 months have felt like a fresh start.

My current goal is to get to a playing standard that would allow me to join one of the badminton clubs in Cambridge - I tried out at one club night last autumn and spent 3 hours getting utterly destroyed. There is huge room for improvements in all departments, especially footwork and defence. However, I am keeping above the goal one quote from Han Jian from a badminton book I read, which is "Understand the game, try to improve but always enjoy it." :D

BC has been of significant help in the past 2 months; I enjoy reading and trying out the advice of the coaches and players from all over the world.

Also if there is anyone in Cambridge who would like to play/practise together, it would be nice to do so :) Also potentially looking for coaching.

#1 fiish, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Welcoming fiish to BadmintonCentral !!!

Hi fiish.

Welcome to BadmintonCentral !!! :):):)

Hope that BCers living in Cambridge, UK, would help you to join one of their Badminton clubs.

I replied your post because I am surprised that no Bcers from Cambridge has done so.

I am a coach, but unfortunately I am down under, in Australia; and of no help to you. :):):)

3. kkmh2

kkmh2 Regular Member

Undergrad
    Hi fiish!

I'm currently living in Cambridge as well, wouldn't mind playing lols. In case you're interested, there's a social badminton session over at Kelsey Kerridge every Sunday 12 - 2pm. Apart from that there are always sessions organised by the Cambridge University Malaysian Society - these usually happen on Fridays/Saturdays. Hope that helps and hope you enjoy Cambridge! :)

Ho K

4. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Hi fiish,

I would recommend you to try out for some social badminton sessions, organized by wolson college, on every Sunday(during term times) at 9am-12pm in Leys School sports Hall, CB2 7AD. The captain of the team is a Malaysian himself and won't mind you joining them. There is a good mix of players with different skill proficiency so it will be easier for you to pick up the game. You can leave kkmh2 or me a meassge if you are interested.

5. Gilbert.Ng

Gilbert.Ng New Member

is there a drop in fee or anything like that? are shuttles provided?