help on the flick serve please...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by WinnieThePimp, Feb 19, 2011.

1. WinnieThePimp

WinnieThePimp Regular Member

I can't seem to do it...

i can do the regular low, fast backhand serve just fine which is what is used 99% of the time anyway i guess but i really want the OPTION of a high, long serve which would be done with a flick serve.

I just cannot generate enough power with just my wrist without using my arm power at all :(

what's the secret? or should i just go back to forehand serving where i can do both?

2. anthonyb

anthonyb Regular Member

student
    why would you want the option of a long high serve? the flick serve is about deception... using some arm power is fine as long as you don't give anything away until the very instant you hit the shuttle...

so if your overall serve is 3 steps long... it should be

low serve: flick serve:
    1) racket back 1) racket back
    2) racket forward towards shuttle 2) racket forward towards shuttle
    3) push/hit shuttle 3) FLICK

make sure that on the flick serve... step 2: the racket coming forwards is the same speed as in the low serve, then flick at the last instant. this will hopefully cause the opponents weight to be almost fully shifted to the front foot as they anticipate the low serve and start reaching out to meet the shuttle at the net... however your clever hold and then flick right at the last second sends the shuttle behind the player just above there racket. leaving them almost falling over in the rear court and looking foolish :)

if you are really struggling to get wrist power... it maybe because your wrist is locked during the serve. This could also be caused by gripping the handle too tightly... use a thumb grip, and grip the handle loosely. Now imagine that you have a towel in your hand and you are abouts to whip your wife with it haha only joking, but you get the idea what I mean... this wrist action is the same for the flick serve...

hope this helps
    kind regards
    Anthony

3. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Your issue may be too short a backswing for your low serve. Make sure you come back a good bit and then forward to hit the low serve, and then when you do a flick serve, its jus a matter or speeding up this action and adding more power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iinFT878Zs

At 39 secs, you can see he has a fair amount of backswing there and thats only to do a low serve. This makes the flick serve so much easier!!

#3 gingerphil79, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Can this be moved to the Technique/Training forum? This is good advice but in the wrong area.

5. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

U definitely need a very relaxed loose grip, there must be a space or gap between the palm n the racket handle. Stabilise the racket with last 3 fingers only n use the thumb to flick it. Hope this helps. Using yr fingers n thumb is more deceptive, using the wrist with longer backswing usually give the game away