How to properly grip a racket....? Need help!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LeeSu, Feb 19, 2011.

1. LeeSu

LeeSu Regular Member

Student
    Is it required to hold a racket using the continental grip? My coach says that I should use it because my current grip makes me look awkward. However, I hold my racket like this:

fig2l.jpg

I was wondering if that's ok too, since that's how I hold my racket when I play tennis. I feel fine holding my badminton racket like that, especially when I clear, and prefer that over the continental grip. The continental grip feels awkward for me so I don't use it, even though my coach encourages me too.

2. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

the badminton bible has some very good tips on the proper way(s) to hold the badminton racket.
    http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/

your current way is ok for forehands but trust me you'll get no backhand power b/c your thumb is curved around the racket like that. also, because you're holding the racket so tight you'll have less feel for the delicate/finesse shots like net shots. try to hold it more with your fingers and depending on the shot you want to make, change the grip accordingly

3. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Agree with canpx your holding it too tight. badminton is a different game than tennis more use of wrist and fingers

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It sounds like you're coming to badminton from a tennis background. There are some differences in the grips.

The basic grip is similar to what you've shown, but more relaxed, with small gaps between the fingers. The angle is also slightly different, with the V shape between the thumb and index finger being positioned towards the inside diagonal bevel, rather than directly over the side bevel.

Badminton requires you to use multiple grips and change quickly between them. You cannot play good badminton using just one grip. Of course, this takes time to learn. The basic grip is a good starting point. :)

5. lneoas

lneoas Regular Member

IT Consultant
    actually i had the same problem with holding the grip too tightly, something that had been rooted over the years and though i do not have problem generating power in the past(note in the past)

any practice to help get rid of this old bad habit?

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

A couple of thoughts:

To convince yourself that the racket will stay in your hand even with an (initially) relaxed grip, try holding the racket with only your ring finger and little finger. Swing it around, shadowing a smash. Tightly gripping with these two fingers alone should be enough to keep the racket in your hand.

Try some finger-power routines, such as practising the finger-power technique for net kills. This can help you appreciate the benefits of a grip that is initially relaxed. You can then start to extend the idea of a relaxed grip to other shots.

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Doing a drill of front net and back smash should help to firm up and firm down the grips. ;)