Toronto stores stringing with grommet replacement and questions : D

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by deathguyxx, Feb 19, 2011.

1. deathguyxx

deathguyxx Regular Member

I have a racquet which i strung at a place in toronto and each gromment replacement costed $0.50, I had around 30 something replace when i went to string!

Is this a normal price for gromment replacement and how do you protect the groment from getting broken.

Can anyone find a awesome stringer?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's excessive price.

usually stringer replace grommet for free when only a couple is needed. even if a large amount needed, that is still an outrageous price.

3. druss

druss Regular Member

agreed, you can buy a bag of hundreds of grommets for a few bucks and the labor is negligible. i'll do up to 10 for free then charge $1 flat for more.

4. deathguyxx

They claim to replace with Yonex grommets.... This still doesn't make a difference, anyone able to recommend me a great place in Toronto?

5. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

where was this?
    maxsports, though i haven't had any of my racquets strung in over a year, whenever i go they used to replace 3-5 for free or rotate them 90 degrees so they would be still usable.

6. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

I am agreeing with the excessive pricing and all of that but at least it's done and the old grommets won't bite into your new strings and possibly cut them. : )
    There is also something else to consider though, while grommets are cheap there are different sizes and shapes the string has to stock and some are a bit of a pain to extract without damaging the racquet (especially shared grommet holes).

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    30 grommets is a lot to replace! [​IMG] Your racquet must have been in pretty bad shape!

Most regular shops will do a few grommets for free. There are guys who also do stringing services from home. You can check them out on Kijiji

8. druss

druss Regular Member

even yonex grommets are not that expensive. grommets average about $0.01 to $0.02 each and some can be a pain but.... I also doubt that all 30 needed replacing. the most I've ever had to replace in a single stringing is 8 or so. I'm not denying that it can take time but $15 to replace 30 grommets is excessive and probably wasn't required to begin with.

9. deathguyxx

Well this is my first time snapping my strings on this racquet and it was a Li ning N55 II, he told me it took him 30 minutes to fix up all the grommets and yeah there were alot of busted grommets.

I went to Everyday badminton to string my racquet.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

Ok well... I still don't know whether all 30 should have been replaced but... I have found that li-ning does use crappy grommets... such a disappointment on such "high end" expensive rackets.

11. deathguyxx

Well to be exact it was 26 grommets but yeah i think i need a new place to string xD.
    I hear theres a good place at metro square and im planning to go there next.

12. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

I had done one YY ns9000 and I replaced 38 grommets. Honestly it is all time consuming job, any racket needs more than 20 grommet replacement I will call up the owner to propose replacing them all 'cause it is easier and that I ask for $5. Quality of YY's grommet is part of their business plan, one set of racket grommet is USD12.50, big business with profit margin of 5000%. If I do have a choice I rather just do the rackets without changing the grommet.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    If you're in the Markham area you should visit Max sports.

14. deathguyxx

My friend strung a his crappy racquet there and it could take 20 LB (yonex warranty thingy) And they guy suggested he string at 24 LB and it deformed the frame....

15. greyes

greyes Regular Member

professor
    Hmm, musta been a really crappy racquet! :D .. I went to Max sports a few years back when he was on the danforth? He did a great job stringing an SOTX racquet for me... I think his name was Michael. Also, you can buy whole sets of grommets online (e.g., mybadmintonstore.com) for relatively cheap (from $3-18 US shipped, depending on your needs). Hope this helps!

16. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    In my opinion, Maxsports is the best for stringing. I've strung at maxsports over 8 times now with very good service. When it comes to a few grommets, they replace it for free. Replaced 2 of my grommets on my li ning racket. So I would recommend them.

17. dtxiaomonv

dtxiaomonv Regular Member

I assume that your friend must bring in a metal frame, that is normal that metal frame deforms at even 20lbs. And I don't really think that Michael will push your friend to increase the tension from 20lbs to 24lbs, that comment doesn't make sense to me at all, I string at MAX for years, I never heard that he will charge money on replacing grommets, complaints maybe :), one of the best stringers in GTA for sure.

18. deathguyxx

I put in 24LB because that is my regular tension. Whoops. He suggested 22LB for him and it was a cheap muscle power. I forgot which model though. He bought it for around $50 something.(prestrung)

19. dtxiaomonv

dtxiaomonv Regular Member

One time I heard that Jessica was complaining about stringing those metal frames, not even on 18lbs, it is almost impossible to avoid frame distortion on those metal frames, also metal frames cuts grommet and strings too, it was funny she wanted to quit on all metal frames, but she is still stringing those metal frame since she really wants to satisfy every customer. Feel sad for your friend, and feel sad for poor Jessica too. :)