Yonex strong grap vs wave grap vs karakal PU super grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Lindanftw, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Lindanftw

Lindanftw Regular Member

Could someone review these three and tell me which they think is the best? I would get the karakal pu super grip but its a little thick maybe?

2. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I can't say anything about strong grap, but I have used both wave grap and the Karakal PU super grip.

Wave grap has a certain unique feel to it in that it has a strip of spongy material on the inside layer that gives it a cushion when you grip the racket. When you grip it, the strip of spongy material will be spaced apart so it doesn't feel flat to touch when you compare it with other grips. If I were to describe it... it has a slight bumpy feel to it, but I guess that's the unique part that some players either love it or hate it. Overall it was pretty comfortable to me though you have to get used to the bumpy feeling when you first use it. As for it's tackiness, it's not as tacky as the Karakal PU supergrip. It maintains its tackiness fairly well if you have sweaty palms (I have exceptionally sweaty hands when I play). The biggest difference between the wave grap and Karakal super PU grip is that the PU grip is a replacement grip as opposed to an overgrip so it naturally your overall grip size is going to be thicker with two layers.

Now onto the Karakal grip. Since you can remove the base grip and replace it with the Karakal grip, your grip will be thinner than if you had an overgrip on so if you're a person who enjoys a thinner grip, having only one layer of grip definitely helps. The initial tackiness when you're not sweating is excellent and allows for good feel when you play. It's also a more conventional grip in that it's doesn't have a bumpy feel when compared to the wave grap (either a plus or minus depending on your own preference, I can't tell you which is better). The grip tends to get a little bit slippery if you have as sweaty palms as I do. If you don't, then that's a great plus for you. However since I'm a person who enjoys having a thinner grip, that benefit outweighs the slight slipperiness after I've been playing with the Karakal grip for about 1.5 hours. Durability wise, I'd have to say the Karakal grip is better in that it maintains its tackiness longer than the wave grap does over time (if you care about how dirty the grip looks, Karakal wins in that area too. Grime, sweat, dirt, whatever collects on wave grap much faster).

If you want to buy Karakal PU super grips, send a PM to singnflip4life, he's the person you want to buy from if you're going that direction.

Nathan Miranda likes this.
  3. Lindanftw

Lindanftw Regular Member

My hands can get quite sweaty when i play so which one do you think i should get if im not going to remove the base layer grip? I do actually prefer thinner grips but i dont want to spend my whole badminton career renewing grips because as i got rid of the base one. Initially i never played with a grip because i thought the VT70s was quite nice, but ive been told playing with grips may increase how well you play and your power. So do you think i should opt for the karakal or the wave?

4. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Well you don't have to keep renewing the base grip. In my opinion, get the Karakal PU super grip and replace the grip and try it out. If you don't like it, all you have to do is put the wave grap over the Karakal grip because you're placing an overgrip over a replacement grip, which is perfectly fine. This way you can try the feel of both grips and choose for yourself! =)

5. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I am currently using Strong Grap on all my racquets. It takes a bit to get use to because it is REALLY tacky feeling. It is really thin and flat. so if you in for something with more cushion, this is not the grip for you. My palm does get very sweaty during play and I used to swear by my original Armortec grip but I found that I was having issues gripping the racquet, so I over-gripped it with the Strong Grap. Durability wise, it's still usable after 2 months playing 3 times a week :p