Which Stringing machine for me ?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by LD rules!, Feb 20, 2011.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Hi guys :)

Recently I have been thinking about getting a stringing machine.

I have thought that spending almost £30 a month on restringing my various rackets, is probably too much, and I think that going it alone will work out better in the long run.

Some information that will help you help me.:p

What is your budget ?

I can spend up to £200 Inc shipping, no more.

How many rackets to you intend to string a month ?

Hopefully, I will be stringing my own rackets around once a month, and gradually progress to stringing other peoples rackets. So maybe 10 a month.

I would want to string my rackets at around 26lbs (and customers at no more than the recommend 24lbs)

So what are the best stringing machines I can get for this sort of money and usage.

I have seen to stringing machines pop up quite a lot, when researching this, those are the Klippermate M140 and The Pros Pro shuttle express. There are quite a few differences between them, but I am not sure which is better value for money for the amount of usage.

So can anyone recommend a stringing machine for me for <£200 ? Something that is quick reliable and easy to use accuracy is something that is very important for me aswell. I am unsure whether to buy 2 point, 4 point or 6 point. Or between Crank and dropweight. Is there any good CP I can buy at this budget ?

2. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    I think it's best that you shop around first. We can give you recomendations, but many times it's biased towards our own needs. More or less it's a matter of what your pocketbook can afford. You may settle for something less than what you ideally want, especially if you plan to string rackets for other people. Before you get to that point, you must first produce a string job worthy of someone paying you for it. Check out Watdon and Arfaian and compare.

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Obviously I wasn't planning on stringing other peoples rackets right away, I was only going to do that after I have experience. I have a few rackets lying about that I can practise on, when I get my machine.

Would anyone recommend the Pros Pro Shuttle Express as a good first Stringing machine ? Or would I be better off with the Klippermate ? I would be stringing maybe 1-2 times a week. Is the Shuttle Express accurate ?

4. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    I bought the PP shuttle express and tought myself to use it, with help from threads here and other places, so in that respect i'd say it's a good beginner machine. I'd recommend 2 extra clamps though, since that makes starting much easier, and i think less tension loss. I'm not sure if i'd say you can be super accurate with it though, since the tension adjust is a little hard to read at times, but then i have no comparison so it might be the same for all crank machines. Spend £415 for a 2086 ECP head if you want the 1/10th pound accuracy.

There are a few things about it that, in a perfect world, i would change though ... the screw down mount is good in that the racket has no chance of slipping out, but the posts are metal with no padding so you'll need to be really careful or get dents in your frames (even being careful you can dent them). The side supports are a little big, so on some cross strings the string rubs against it, which might give a fasle reading on the tensioner, and the tension head is a little rickety at times which is more of an annoyance than anything, since for the price you won't get much better.

If you want CP at this price then drop weight is about your only option, i've never used one but every thing i read says that crank will be faster in use and easier to adjust tension, only you can decide if they are important factors.