User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play at a low level, and I really hate when my opponents shake their hand a lot. Not because it's double action, but because I'm trying to focus, and the racquet is getting my attention, not the bird. I can't serve backhand (trying to learn), so I might be a little biased.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice that not only LD is doing it. Look carefully, Hendra Setiawan also does double movement on his serve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just came across a serve yesterday I almost thought was illegal because of a double action, but by the formal definition of one forward movement, it was ok. What the person did was get into his normal serving stance, hold the racket head IN FRONT of the birdie initially, then quickly move the racket behind the birdie and serve. I almost wanted to tell him that was illegal but technically he's just bringing the racket back and he only made one forward movement so it was legal. It was more of a psychological thing that bothered me because it seemed deceptive at first, until I realized it was just a normal serve with an abnormal beginning stance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Service: The first forward movement is to hit the shuttlecock

Quote Originally Posted by Tactim View Post
    I just came across a serve yesterday I almost thought was illegal because of a double action, but by the formal definition of one forward movement, it was ok. What the person did was get into his normal serving stance, hold the racket head IN FRONT of the birdie initially, then quickly move the racket behind the birdie and serve. I almost wanted to tell him that was illegal but technically he's just bringing the racket back and he only made one forward movement so it was legal. It was more of a psychological thing that bothered me because it seemed deceptive at first, until I realized it was just a normal serve with an abnormal beginning stance.
    Yes, you are correct. It is the one forward movement which is important.

Most server hold the racket head IN FRONT of the shuttlecock initially. Therefore, he/she will need to move the racket head with a little back swing before the forward movement can be done.

It is the first forward movement that the receiver expects the shuttlecock to be hit (at Service).

As we all know that during a rally, it is good to do double/multiple swings (to deceive or to wrong foot our opponent). The Laws of Badminton allow us to do so during a rally.

It is only at Service that the Laws do not permit us to do the double/multiple action.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 02-23-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still like LD's call for double action but in the video, when he actually did a tripple. In the replay, you see him doing what appears to be double action, but the reply did not show the initial forward movement which actually made it tripple.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I still like LD's call for double action but in the video, when he actually did a tripple. In the replay, you see him doing what appears to be double action, but the reply did not show the initial forward movement which actually made it tripple.
    Just watched some older videos, like Setiawan, looks like Gao Lin also used to serve with a double action every single time...

Heh, so it seems that the service judges interpret the law as double action being ok, but they draw the line at triple action!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Just watched some older videos, like Setiawan, looks like Gao Lin also used to serve with a double action every single time...

Heh, so it seems that the service judges interpret the law as double action being ok, but they draw the line at triple action!
    Lol yeah. Mean tripple was too much lol! Cuz in the replay, you see Peter actually moved on the second action when LD pulled back for the third action. Fault!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down It seems that the service judges interpret the law as double action being OK

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Then, the judges/umpires were wrong.

The Laws of Badminton clearly state the first forward movement towards the shuttlecock (at Service) cannot be pulled backward again. If the server needs to pull back his/her swing again, then the receiver can raise his/her hand to say "Let's halt; because confusion has been created by the server's double action (if the judges did not call it a 'Fault')".
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 02-24-2011 at 03:02 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a video of Jonas rasmussen serving. the problem is when he serve, he will move his hand. Took that video during Mas Open 2011 sf vs japanese pair. was seating the 1st row.. quite unique.. not sure why the umpire didn't call it a fault!
    im currently uploading now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is the one im talking about.. what u guys think? look carefully on the 14th second..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Something wrong with JR's service?

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    I have a video of Jonas rasmussen serving. the problem is when he serve, he will move his hand. Took that video during Mas Open 2011 sf vs japanese pair. was seating the 1st row.. quite unique.. not sure why the umpire didn't call it a fault!
    im currently uploading now.
    here is the one im talking about.. what u guys think? look carefully on the 14th second..

From what I see, there was nothing wrong with JR's service (at the 14th second). You mentioned about his moving hand; Which hand are you referring to?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure whether it was the moving hand problem or what.. but it seems like that serve he fake once 1st, then only he serve.. u can see sato was already ready to move..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Sato was ready to move forward to anticipate a low service

Not sure whether it was the moving hand problem or what.. but it seems like that serve he fake once 1st, then only he serve.. u can see sato was already ready to move..
    I watched your video about 10 times trying to find out if there was anything wrong in JR's Service, but I just could not find anything illegal.

Sato was ready to move forward (to anticipate a low service) which was not intended by JR.

Actually, JR was looking at the shuttlecock all the time (not paying any attention to Sato's anticipation at all).
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 02-24-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps JR serving is quite unique at least to me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2