I need advice on my old skool machine....

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Petah, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Petah

Petah Regular Member

This came up for sale really cheap locally i couldn't pass it up. It's an AG 602, quite an old machine. In any case, i need some advice. Below are the pics of my stringer. It's a portable 6 point mounting, drop weight and uses flying clamps. Here are a couple of questions i have:

1. If you notice in the pics, the side supports, rather than being a "K" or "V" mount, it's really just a post. This will interfere with threading the strings in the hole on the sides of the racket. The seller told me to just move the post out of the way and move them back once you thread the hole. Good idea? If not, is there anywhere that i can buy universal "V" or "K" mounts? As you can see, the current posts just threads on so maybe i can rig something to work.

2. I ordered 2 yonex flying clamps already. From my readings on this site, it appears they are the best clamps for the crosses while many are using the hi-qua or the eagnas for the mains. Is there an issue with using the yonex flying clamps even for the mains? Should i be ordering the eagnas clamps as well?

photo(3).jpg photo(2).jpg photo.jpg

Thanks.

2. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    Your mounting is hold down type, so the V or K side supports don't work on this machine. Though it reminds me of the W support on the older Eagnas machines, but you need spacer pads for the 6 and 12 o'clock mounts. Have you even tried mounting a badminton racket on it?

3. Petah

Petah Regular Member

yup....tried my old skool aero 80 on it and it seemed to work. What do you mean by spacer pads? It came with a bag of accessories and i have no idea what they are for. I guess i am a bit confused, if you look at this model, it too it's a hold down but it comes with V side support. Am i missing soemthing?

4. CovinaStringer

When you use the V side supports, it will want to raise the frame, then on the billiard (6 and 12 o'clock) supports, you use spacer pads to raise that part of the frame so it will be even with the V-support.

Below is the Eagnas "V" Support, sometimes called "W" supports.

[​IMG]

Eagnas Head and Throat mounting:
    [​IMG]

If look closely at the hold down points there is a spacer that keeps the post from touching the frame:
    [​IMG]

#4 CovinaStringer, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  5. Petah

Petah Regular Member

OK, i do have spacers in my parts bag that will prevent the post from touching the frame. In fact, i have a few different thickness spacers. I guess this is to accommodate different thickness in rackets? So now my questions are:

1. Can you buy these V or W supports? If not, is moving the currently post out of the way while stringing those holes and moving them back a good idea?

2. Can i use the yonex clamps even for the mains?

Thanks.

6. CovinaStringer

I recall the W or V side supports were mounted on a post that could be removed on the Eagnas machines. I don't know if they are interchangeable with AG machines, but they look very similar. You can probably order them but they cost a lot from Maxline. You might want to try contacting NCR at http://nrcsports.com/store/. Though I've never heard of any customer service from them.

1.) I would not recomend moving the side supports while stringing, even if temporary. The supports are designed to allow access to a blocked hole, though careful planning should prevent that.

2.) Yes, you can use Yonex flying clamps for mains.

7. Petah

Petah Regular Member

Thanks for the advice. Maxline came back with a quote of $36 for the complete set of W supports + shipping. That seems like pricey experiment not knowing if these will work on my machine hence i don't think i am going to make the investment at this point. I am going to try to string up an old racket by moving the current side supports out of the way when i get there. Or, i can just use this as a 2 point mount machine and skip the side supports all together. If the results to both of my experiments are not desirable, i will then consider the buying the W supports. Again, thanks for your advice.

8. Petah

Petah Regular Member

One more thing, i have read the M140 stringing instructions on this site which showed you how to start the mains using 2 flying clamps. However, it has been suggested that people have used 3 or even 4 of them to prevent tension lost at the start. Do you know how they use 3 or even 4 clamps to start?

Thanks.

9. CovinaStringer

I'm trying to recall where I saw them cheaper, but that sounds like the price from Maxline. Like I said you might want to try NCR Sports, if they even have a tech support line. BTW I've seen a couple of same machine you have on fleabay.

The extra fly clamps just back up the previous ones. Kinda leap frogging from one main to another.

10. monticore

monticore Regular Member

i start my mains with a starting clamp if you can get a hold of 1, it's nice to have to start crosses also (2piece) and to bridge if you end up short of the gripper , which might happen few times at first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGo9X22vqGs

cory

11. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

you can use the Klippermate method, it is a very easy, and not need to use more than 2 flying clamps.

12. monticore

monticore Regular Member

i didn't try the starting pin method but seems like i should as far are the flying clamps i got both the hiqua and yonex, i try and use double clamps where i can even though i haven't strung at high tensions yet, only 20/22 on my cabd 20s. figured having 4 gave me some redundancy incase one broke /failed etc..

cory

13. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer

I'll try and describe how i do it, might be hard without pictures. Left 1 and right 1 are pulled from the bottom of the racquet, l/r 2 are pulled from the top and l/r 3 from the bottom...

First step is a double pull of the centre 2 mains (left 1 + right 1) to the required tension (i normally add 1 pound for good measure on the centre 8 main strings) and clamp both together at the top, that first pull is just to tension the top of the 2 centre mains. I then release both from the gripper and tension the right 1 (right centre main, looking top down) and clamp to my starting pin string which is running through r2. So far 2 clamps have been used.

Next step is to pull tension on centre left (left 1) and clamp it with 3rd clamp above the clamp on the centre right. I'll usually try and get the two lower clamps to touch each other, since the lower part of centre left will be untensioned until you pull it through on left 2. Normally what i do when pulling left 2 is to move the clamp at the top of centre pair across to clamp left 1 and 2, and then put my 4th clamp below it on the centre pair. I then pull left 3 and clamp at the bottom with the clamp that was on left 1, which will mean the clamp on right 1 and the starting pin will want to turn at an angle.

Finally i will re pull right 1 (remove the clamp as you pull) and then clamp right 1 and left 1 together at the bottom. The starting pin is removed and i thread and pull right 2 and 3 so that i end up with 2 clamps at the top and 2 at the bottom.

After that i alternate between left and right until the end, using the yonex method of going up 12 then back down 10.