Backhand Clear Help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ilostmybrain, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ilostmybrain

ilostmybrain Regular Member

Student
    Hi Everyone, Just wondering, how do you improve the power in your backhand clear? Everytime I can pull off/mastered the basics of the backhand, backhand drop, drive, smash yeah......I was playing singles with my friend, he pushed me to the left back corner, most of the time, i would just do a simple backhand drop, but my friend always kill me at that :crying:, so then i change my tactics and do a simple power drive to there, but he just uses some defence shot and hit it to another corner, right now, the only shot i would like to pull off is the backhand clear, so help me!!

2. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    Shift your base a bit back and to the left to cover your weakness, and do an around the head forehand clear. Start backhand clear once you've mastered everything else.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

yes, it may not be what you want to hear, but essentially improving all other shots will actually help this, because you will get better natural technique, and you will be forced into BH shots less often.

I have found that using forehand grip helps to keep backhand in. backhand grip will go too wide unless you get to shuttle early.

contrary to some other teachings, I have found that it is better to get the racquet foot down slightly before hitting shuttle. there is no power if your foot is still in the air or your thigh has no tension in.

4. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

If your backhand goes wide, shift to more of a panhandle grip, simply watch the racquetface and turn the grip till you can see that its facing in court, works like a charm.

And a tip for the clear, don't try to hit it to hard, it tends to waste alot of the force generated.

5. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Work on your backhand clear by al means, its a good shots to perfect. There is lots of threads on this and videos etc online but sumthing struck a cord with me. When ur in that corner and forced to play a backhand, dont play the same shot over and over. He will see this and go for that shot when he sees you turning to hit the backhand. In this corner, I play sometimes a straight drop, sometimes cross court, other times a backhand smash or a fast drop which lands closer to service line. I may also throw in the clear if I feel am in right position for it.

Mix it up a bit. If u always play lets say a tight drop shot, he will jus be ready for it everytime going to kill it so change the shot. Of course if you can, hit the shots overhead if possible, it gives u lot more power and options :)

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    do some wrist grinding exercise. Get your footwork ready. Once you are ready, you should be able to retrieve all the shots. If his level is better than yours, then too bad; he will definitely have an upper hand to control you. So, you will need to beef up on your training and exposure. Again, footwork will help you to go for the next shot. ;)

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

This works for me , by changing the thumb position to a grip that is between the conventional forehand and backhand, more wrist flexibility and torque is achieved
    resulting in more control,power and variety.

post no.4 puts it in words.

Attached Files:

8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    A note on developing power in the backhand clears:

An excellent coach, Mr Paul Stewart (badminton-coach.co.uk), correctly points out that the backhand clears (and all backhand shots) are played with a distinct tapping action, as if hitting the shot with your knuckles, and pushing hard with the thumb.

What this means, is that any shot that helps develop this tapping action and finger power, will help with your backhand clear. Thus, drives and especially net kills (on your backhand) will really help you to generate power by going from a very relaxed grip before then tapping the shuttle hard, and recoiling (rebounding) almost immediately after striking the shuttle.

However, after you play your backhand shot, it worries me that you are not then recovering and covering your opponents next shot - perhaps working on your footwork is necessary whether you use your backhand or practise round the head as others have suggested.

Matt