User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    I'm glad to hear that people still put forth their efforts purley for the love of the sport. I was on the verge of losing hope. Based on some comments, it seemed that hidden personal agendas were riddling a lot of badminton activities.

Still, I think it's unfortunate that non-profit groups still need to "pay-up", simply based on demographics and the availability of venues - not because of being picky about players, or the birds of your choice. There is a huge disparity in cost between regions. Yes, you do what you need to do...

I'm still waiting for some more feedback on what you'd expect at a friendlies challenge. A lot of good stuff so far, but I'd appreciate some more.

Thanks in advance
    many people still do things for the love of the sport.

in the Bay Area, a group of companies runs a yearly corporate team tournament. i am involved in the planning. the tournament is call Bay Area Corporate Badminton Challenge. it is co-run by *all* the companies involved. each few weeks reps gets together and we plan the whole tournament together. the tournament don't take any profit. in fact, all excess money after deduction of costs (gym rental, trophies, etc) are refunded back to the companies. since all the companies has a part in planning the tournament, it is collectively "owned" by everyone. as a result, it is always very well run and everyone love the atmosphere that we create.

the entries include quite a lot of well known companies, this year we plan to have: Brocade, Cisco, Ebay, Facebook, Genentech, Google, HP, IBM, IDT, Intel, Juniper, Netapp, NVIDIA, Oracle, Qualcomm, Seagate, Vmware, Yahoo!

we expect around 300 badminton players will show up on May 22nd, 2011.

so yes, people still do things for the love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably what we need in Toronto.

When you mention different companies taking part, I can only recall the XFY Tournament that Jin Ma organizes. It's a Team event - where different clubs/companies have teams. Last time we had IBM, Rogers, Lees, Olive, and a few more I can't remember.
    However I think the event is sponsored by only 1 or a few companies - not necessarily the participating companies. Once it was sponsored by Mongolian Hot Pot, then another time, Yonex dealer, I think. Very fun tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    many people still do things for the love of the sport.

in the Bay Area, a group of companies runs a yearly corporate team tournament. i am involved in the planning. the tournament is call Bay Area Corporate Badminton Challenge. it is co-run by *all* the companies involved. each few weeks reps gets together and we plan the whole tournament together. the tournament don't take any profit. in fact, all excess money after deduction of costs (gym rental, trophies, etc) are refunded back to the companies. since all the companies has a part in planning the tournament, it is collectively "owned" by everyone. as a result, it is always very well run and everyone love the atmosphere that we create.

the entries include quite a lot of well known companies, this year we plan to have: Brocade, Cisco, Ebay, Facebook, Genentech, Google, HP, IBM, IDT, Intel, Juniper, Netapp, NVIDIA, Oracle, Qualcomm, Seagate, Vmware, Yahoo!

we expect around 300 badminton players will show up on May 22nd, 2011.

so yes, people still do things for the love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes this event has been running for at least 4 years. This year will be at Unionville H.S. on May 7 and May 8.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchi View Post
    This is probably what we need in Toronto.

When you mention different companies taking part, I can only recall the XFY Tournament that Jin Ma organizes. It's a Team event - where different clubs/companies have teams. Last time we had IBM, Rogers, Lees, Olive, and a few more I can't remember.
    However I think the event is sponsored by only 1 or a few companies - not necessarily the participating companies. Once it was sponsored by Mongolian Hot Pot, then another time, Yonex dealer, I think. Very fun tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the word Sakura use...we all have to become "an agent of change". In roder for us to get proper sponsorship and grow the sport, we have to have effective marketing program from the Badminton Leadership and badminton community. Currently, I do not believe we have that. We all operate in silo with very little linkage, so YES, I believe what Sakura is saying, we are a victim of our own involvement or lack of. If you want change, you need to get involve with your district and push B.ONT to provide the type of services you need to make the clubs successful. A Marketing program is one I am pushing for from B.ONT. If a business is to sponsor us, what would they get in return. Even though we are a sport/volunteer organization, we have to run it like a business. Think of a win-win situation to get sponsorship. I am a director at a local soccer club, we get $40,000 sponsorship from local businesses, none has anything to do with soccer.

An example will be HSBC. Their branding is "the world Local Bank". When you are running your tournaments or friendlies, approach them to give them access to all your participants to sell their products, let them set up a booth to sell their RESP, RRSP, Life Inurance and etc. They want access to your attendees, in term they give you sponsorship. Go after organization who does not have access to your membership to get sponsor, don't go after the one where they already have access to. EG. Badminton stores already have access to your members already because you are all badminton players, you know where to buy your stuff. A bank does not have access to that demographic so they are more likely to sponsor.

There are many ways of getting these local sponsorships, BUT we need volume, we cannot do this in silo. We have a sustainable structure in place with volume, you will get sponsorship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MBCLLAP,

I didn't pay attention to this email thread earlier...Perhaps, once you find out more about "2011 club championship" in my PM to you, we can have a discussions over here.

Yes, we have sponsorship for the "2011 club championship".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mkm_player said so truthfully; seen it soooo many times, esp the all strong players on one side of the draw, the final is ain't a final at all!; it's unfortunate, it still happened and the sport has suffered tremendously. OBA somewhere along the line has lost on the philosophy to promote and strengthen the sport, but has proven to be bias and non-functional. Players will be glad to accept any outcome when it's fair. The writing was on the wall that a CHANGE is needed. You will be respected if you are fair in sports.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2