What would you expect from a local tournament or friendlies challenge?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Sakura, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Sakura

Sakura Regular Member

You'll never guess
    Many people have commented on how they'd like to see and participate in more local tournaments or friendlies challenges, but there simply aren't any. So what is it? :confused: Why don't we just do it? Cost too much? Too much hassle? Just want to play and not organize it?

My challenge is this. I'd like to run a friendlies tournament, so I'll start the dialogue....

What kind of tournament would you expect for a participation fee of:

1) $10
    2) $20
    3) $40
    4) $50
    5) FREE?

Please feedback as much detail as you'd like. I'll filter through the info and hope to get to a collaborative solution, so we can do something about it! :)

#1 Sakura, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. druss

druss Regular Member

There should be a minimum fee in order to prevent people from just not showing up. I'd say $20 per team is a good one and that would cover the costs of the shuttles.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you have to do the ground work of how much it'd cost to rent the venue and how many matches you can fit into the tournament. and then there are also the cost of the trophies and prizes. after that, you will be able to figure out what is the absolute bottom limit to run the tournament.

agree that free is a bad thing to do. people value things that they paid money for more than thing they get for free.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    In singapore, it can range from $10-$30 for individual games. ;)

5. Sakura

Sakura Regular Member

You'll never guess
    Thanks Kwun. I understand the basics of running the event (court rentals, court time etc) and have run various types of events with varying results. I'm just trying to get a better sense of what peoples true expectations are. I've participated in various provincial, regtional and local tournaments and have seen several approaches. Last year, I ran a small doubles challenge for $40/team. Quite honestly there was no expectation of prizes from the participants, likely due to the common knowledge of how expensive court rentals are in our area. The players were happy just to break out a really good sweat and get some bragging rights and pictures of the event. I did manage to provide sports drinks, certificates and small loot bags for everyone. I also participated in a tournament for FREE and got take-out lunch AND dinner PLUS a trophy and nylon birds were supplied. I had a fantastic time and had really good matches.

From what I read in your response, my guess is that you have definite expectations for trophies and prizes. You also suggest that FREE is not a good option because is could de-value the event.

#5 Sakura, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  6. Sakura

Sakura Regular Member

You'll never guess
    Would anyone expect referees, umpires or lines judges at a friendly tournament?
    Would you expect feather or nylon birds to be provided?
    Would you expect a 3 match minimum?
    Would you expect food/drinks?
    Would you expect trophies, T-shirts or other souvenirs?
    Would you expect a multiple day event?
    Would you expect great hotel rates?

#6 Sakura, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  7. wanttoplaydaily

wanttoplaydaily Regular Member

I had many friendly matches with different badminton clubs. Normally is free and the host provide the GYM and everyone bring own feathers. We take turns to provide GYMs.

8. wanttoplaydaily

We had friendly games between clubs in Markham and Ajax normally.

9. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    IMO, friendlies work best when both clubs already know each other and see each other as at (or near) the same skill level.
    After all, who wants to enter a friendly where they know they'll get destroyed? and conversely, who wants to enter a friendly where they can win without even trying?

10. mkm_player

mkm_player Regular Member

Would love to see more local tournaments or friendlies in Markham or vicinity.
    $40 doubles team is reasonable - $20 each. Unlike the what OBA charger for their tournaments - minimum $35 per event. I think the Ontario B's are $50 entry.

My rant on the OBA:
    The OBA tournaments are soon going to be only for players looking to get ranked on the OBA - or the friends and families of the organizers.
    Casual players like me and my friends have stopped playing OBA tournaments for a few years now.

It was common to see favouritism by the officials. They know players who are "regulars" or play at the same clubs as they do.
    We can see these players (usually non-asian) where they are quick to call service judges - especially when they're losing to asian opponents. On the other hand, in at least once situation we've seen the same people who call the service judges very OBVIOUSLY serving high - much higher from the waist than their opponents and never get called fault. All we can do is get mad from the sidelines. :(

I've seen instances where some white (older) guy's partner didn't show up and the organizers allowed another white guy (first name basis) to play with him for free. Same tournament - asian guy - same scenario, they told him he had to find a replacement partner (who had to pay) or he will have to default. I think this was the Ontario B's 3 or 4 yrs ago in Humber College.

We've seen how the Durham Open is organized by Wayne King. How he assigns the better courts in the main gym for his varsity players' matches and pushes the other players to the secondary gym. Even how he ranks the draw so that it ensures his players will have a good chance to reach the finals - if there are two or more strong non-varsity teams, say from Mandarin - I'll bet they are in the same half of the draw to eliminate one of them. Imagination? Ask the players themselves. I saw one year where Troy Chandra and his partner had to play against Brian Tjo (spelling?) and his partner in the same half of the draw while his varsity teams met each other on the other half of the draw. We call that the "training session" tournament.

At clubs where I play whenever we discuss these issues, many people notice things like this - but they just say "Yea, what can we do. It's either play and put up with their crap or don't play at all".

I know it sounds like we're being racially discriminated - whether its true or not, noone can/will say. We can just see what goes on. I don't think there's even a "complaint" process. If there was one, it's going to be reviewed by their own peers anyways - probably over some wings and beer.

Anyways, end of rant. Bottom line is, we need change. But they can't/won't fix what they won't acknowledge. :)
    So in essense it's a losing battle. And in the words of many of my friends who play in Markham - either play and put up with all this or just stop supporting them.

11. urameatball

Photographer
    I don't know about you, but getting bad draws makes a tournament more challenging and makes me wanna train harder.
    Been to one tournament where I probably should be have been seeded, but ended up unseeded and having to battle my way through an insane draw. Lost in the finals because I had already played 6 3-setters, my hand was all blistered up and bleeding onto my racquet.

favoritism sucks when it's against you, but being able to overcome those odds can be extremely rewarding.

12. MBCLLAP

MBCLLAP Regular Member

Just want to comment on:
    Bottom line is, we need change. But they can't/won't fix what they won't acknowledge. :)
    So in essense it's a losing battle. And in the words of many of my friends who play in Markham - either play and put up with all this or just stop supporting them.

There is one more option ==> lead the change or get involve to make the change.

The only one constant in this universe is change.

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

In Sydney for less than $20/person tournament:
    Would anyone expect referees, umpires or lines judges at a friendly tournament? Yes
    Would you expect feather or nylon birds to be provided? feather all the way
    Would you expect a 3 match minimum? yes
    Would you expect food/drinks? No
    Would you expect trophies, T-shirts or other souvenirs? Depends, on UNI subsidised or sponsored tournament yes. Otherwise no.
    Would you expect a multiple day event? No
    Would you expect great hotel rates? Ofcourse not :)

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

How about getting some sort of sponsorship on board?? I have seen brands like Flypower and Victor really keen in their marketing strategy.

15. Sakura

Sakura Regular Member

You'll never guess
    I really like the idea of sponsorship. Quite honestly, I suck at obtaining it. Perhaps I'm just not persistant enough or just don't have that set of skills, but I do notice that I get better support from non-sports groups than badminton/sports stores and businesses. I could use some help here.....I feel so alone.....

In response to all of the OBA comments and such, I would just like to suggest that, in my experience, it's not just the OBA. I've seen all of these types of issues arise at local tournaments and other badminton clubs and organizations. Over the years, it seems to me that the badminton community has fallen apart and has fogotten about the love of the sport. A player actually said to me that "NO ORGANIZER DOES IT FOR THE SPORT ANYMORE!" T_T

I realize that different clubs are in different situations (high court rentals fees, lack of participation, few facilities, lack of inter-club play, lack of player/official development, city and government policies etc.). So I ask, are we just being the victim of our own lack of involvement? Personally, I get overwhelmed with the amount of time I spend on badminton volunteering, at times. I know other organizers are in the same situation. The reason we keep seeing the same organizers, the same potential mistakes and the same misguidances is because there are very few voices and helping hands when it comes down to being accountable for club organization, club activities, or events.

I challenge everyone who has issues with the way things are....FOR THE LOVE OF THE SPORT, BE AN AGENT OF CHANGE! ASK YOUR ORGANIZER HOW YOU CAN HELP!!!

16. urameatball

Photographer
    A LOT of organizers do it for the love of badminton. There are tonnes of non-profit groups who run weekly badminton sessions, lots of players offering free advice (coaching) when asked upon, and lots of government subsidized badminton available at community rec. centres.

However, if you're picky about the type of people you play with, want to play in venues of your choice, using the birds of your choice, at the times and locations of your choice.... you'll need to pay up (which I think it understandable). Beggars can't be choosers.

In Toronto, there's probably a free place to play badminton for every day of the week at various community centres. I use to visit them regularly.

17. Sakura

Sakura Regular Member

You'll never guess
    I'm glad to hear that people still put forth their efforts purley for the love of the sport. I was on the verge of losing hope. Based on some comments, it seemed that hidden personal agendas were riddling a lot of badminton activities.

Still, I think it's unfortunate that non-profit groups still need to "pay-up", simply based on demographics and the availability of venues - not because of being picky about players, or the birds of your choice. There is a huge disparity in cost between regions. Yes, you do what you need to do...

I'm still waiting for some more feedback on what you'd expect at a friendlies challenge. A lot of good stuff so far, but I'd appreciate some more.

Thanks in advance

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    many people still do things for the love of the sport.

in the Bay Area, a group of companies runs a yearly corporate team tournament. i am involved in the planning. the tournament is call Bay Area Corporate Badminton Challenge. it is co-run by *all* the companies involved. each few weeks reps gets together and we plan the whole tournament together. the tournament don't take any profit. in fact, all excess money after deduction of costs (gym rental, trophies, etc) are refunded back to the companies. since all the companies has a part in planning the tournament, it is collectively "owned" by everyone. as a result, it is always very well run and everyone love the atmosphere that we create.

the entries include quite a lot of well known companies, this year we plan to have: Brocade, Cisco, Ebay, Facebook, Genentech, Google, HP, IBM, IDT, Intel, Juniper, Netapp, NVIDIA, Oracle, Qualcomm, Seagate, Vmware, Yahoo!

we expect around 300 badminton players will show up on May 22nd, 2011.

so yes, people still do things for the love. :)

19. tenchi

tenchi Regular Member

This is probably what we need in Toronto.

When you mention different companies taking part, I can only recall the XFY Tournament that Jin Ma organizes. It's a Team event - where different clubs/companies have teams. Last time we had IBM, Rogers, Lees, Olive, and a few more I can't remember.
    However I think the event is sponsored by only 1 or a few companies - not necessarily the participating companies. Once it was sponsored by Mongolian Hot Pot, then another time, Yonex dealer, I think. Very fun tournament.

20. wanttoplaydaily

Yes this event has been running for at least 4 years. This year will be at Unionville H.S. on May 7 and May 8.