Shuttlecock suitable for UK area

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Avenger, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    so.. I want to upgrade my shuttlecock
    I use Mavis 300 (medium speed, blue), but recently, I feel that it is too slow

based on yonex chart

[​IMG]

I'm in Newcastle mountain area with pretty low temperature (usually around 0-10 Celsius) and no heater inside the building
    should I go for red one? (not only because low temperature, but also because it is at higher area)

and is it Mavis 2000 fly pattern almost like the feather one? (I cannot afford feather as my play mates are beginner intermediate which means they would destroy the shuttlecock pretty fast)

I need a new tube asap, and it would be great if someone can help me, thanks :)

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Mavis 370 I believe. Try red, but we play in a cold hall and use Blue, albeit at a low altitude.

Where are the mountains in Newcastle?:)

3. Poseidon1985

Poseidon1985 Regular Member

Random Thinker
    Avenger, which part of Newcastle are you at? I'm currently in Newcastle too and from Indonesia as well.

I would recommend trying red too. I normally use blue and has no problem with it but I think it's just personal preference. :D

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    so, Mavis 370 is better than Mavis 2000?
    I didn't mean mountain (as it is not mountain) I mean hills area

I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne, city centre area, usually I go to Eldon Square sport centre to play badminton

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Actually I am note sure on that, but I know 370 is "supposed" to be better than 300

6. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Mavis 2000 are the top of the range, and the price difference is pretty negligible, so that's what I would (and do) get. They're still *totally* different from feathers though.
    There shouldn't be any speed difference between the 300 and 2000, so I'd properly test your current shuttles to see if they are actually too slow ( http://www.badminton-information.com/shuttlecock.html ).
    I play in an unheated hall, which always feels cold, but blue is definitely the right speed for us - reds are way too fast, and completely ruin the game.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    So are Mavis 2000 "better" than 300's or 370's?

8. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    after I read the link that you gave me, I conclude that blue would be a good choice?
    I bought the Mavis 2000 blue from direct sports and see if it plays better than Mavis 300 :)

9. wirre

wirre Regular Member

IMO, yes Mavis 2000 are "better", or rather mimics feathers better than Mavis 3xx. Thus I am only using Mavis 2000 (used to play with 350/370) when playing with nylons.

However i find that 370 (medium/blue) is faster than 300/350/2000 (medium/blue).

My ratings (have bought shuttles from direct-sports and centralsports in UK for the last 6 years):

"Best flight" - 2000/370/350&300
    Fastest (medium/blue) - 370/350&2000/300
    Most durable - 350/2000 & 300/370

Of course none is close to feathers, but for clears and smashes I think Mavis 2000 is the one which imitates a feather best. Net shots (stops and tumbles) are a far cry from feathers......

YMMV / mats

10. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I got mine few days ago
    it looks like feather, in term of shape, unlike Mavis 300 which is no where looks feather

let me tried it this Saturday, tried to use it in the living room, initial impression: looks good :D
    can't wait to try it

next year I will bring around 4-5 tubes feather shuttlecock from Indonesia where I can get one tube for US $6-7 / £4

11. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    after I used it for 3 session (1 1/2 hour each)
    I think what wirre said is right
    blue is perfect for Newcastle
    maybe I only want better shuttlecock
    Mavis 2000 imitates feather flying pattern and a little bit faster than 300 which is I like it
    however, it is not too durable? (the plastic ripped easily)
    I need one for one Mavis 2000 per one session while I can use 1 Mavis 300 for 3-4 sessions

@Poseidon1985:
    want to meet somewhere and play badminton?
    I will not go back in easter while my friends go back so I have no playing partner