thinking of getting racquet

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Vl, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Vl

Vl Guest

hi well i am a sophmore this year in hs my first year playing and i play singles
    i want to get my own racquet i have been using a friends prince axis 65
    i am thinking of getting my own i have thought about
    isometric vf95
    carbonex 8300 or 8600
    wat other yonex racquets should i get
    i plan to play badminton for the rest of my life =)
    thanks

2. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    Try

try Iso96VF. Where u live cos some place are only avail to some racquets.
    try these :
    1.cab-20 ti 2.cab23 3.Iso96Vf
    4.Ti Pro60 5.Boron 200 6.cab20 special
    7.IsoPower700Sp

Pls state the amount of money u r willing to pay.

Other models :
    1. Carlton As-1 2.Pince Thunder 3.Gosen Roots

but if for mi i will get Boron 200 if avail or else i will get Iso96VF(titanium) or cab23.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Re: Try

I'm not sure, are you new to singles or are you new the sport? If your new to the sport, i would recommend the Cab 9 Tour or the Cab 8 if you can still get your hands on it. Their great beginners rackets. Their also resonable in price. The Cab 9 costs about $60 here in Singapore and the Cab 8 is no longer availble. But if you can get your hands on 1 go for it....

Happy shopping!

4. May

May Guest

this topic seems to be very popular. I see a different form of it every week or so.

5. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    Ya.. A lot of ppl need info on buying racquets. And also suggestions.

6. Brett

Brett Regular Member

My first racquet was a Carbonex 8300, so I can give you direct advice on its pluses and minuses. It is a beginner-intermediate racquet, weighs about 95g, is slightly head-heavy. It is an attractive racquet with a black, silver and royal blue paint scheme. It is quite durable, as I have had at least 6 racquet clashes with it and aside from a few, relatively minor paint chips, it shows no sign of damage. It does every thing decently, but not spectacularly. I found that it wasn't as powerful as I wanted and it probably does not have quite the control I would like. It is a very good racquet for people who are just starting out in the sport and do not have too many aspirations to become competitive.

If you do intend to make significant improvements and become competitive, you should probably start off with a slightly better racquet that you will not outgrow too rapidly. I would recommend one of the better carbonex racquets, such as the Cab 10, Cab 8ti, or the Cab 21. You could also try one of Yonex's isometric-shaped racquets. I'm not sure if the Iso 500 is still in production, but that would probably be a good racquet to start with that should serve you well for years; additionally, it comes in a choice of four different models spanning the range of weight/balance/stiffness.

As for the Iso 95VF, I would suggest you check the reviews section for this racquet, as there are a fair number of people who don't like it. If you like the feeling of the Axis 65, then maybe you should stick with Prince racquets. They are no longer distributed in North America, but two California mail order companies seem to have some left at very cheap prices. Try www.asby.com or www.hiqua.com.

Finally, you probably did not provide enough information to get a really thorough idea of what your options should be. Where do you live? How much do you want to pay? How would you describe your game - offensive or defensive? The oft-repeated advice is to try a racquet first before purchasing. If you can test a friend's racquet or if the store has a demo program, you should try either of those options before making your purchase.

7. vl

vl Guest

i want to spend under 100$
    and i play a offensive singles game
    an i live in san jose,california

8. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    the carbonexes are a pretty good choice for a lower end racquet. but may i suggest that you DONT get the vf95 whatever you do! i tried it...it was the most powerless racquet i have ever held! i thought it would be a decent back up but its accually not.

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

You probably won't go wrong with the old Cab 22 (not really old - just replaced this past year by the Cab 23), which is now available for around $90-100.

10. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    any carbonex i find is pretty good. and if ur really on a budget, wilsons arent bad for the money(about 50 CDN), and if u can still find one, a Prince axis 63 is really good, but it has a small sweet spot

11. Eric

Eric Guest

Well, out of the 3 you listed I would say the 8600 is probably the best racket for the money as it was quite powerful for a beginer racket when i used it. But if you want a better racket try the Cab 21 or Cab 23 as those are more powerful but they do come at a higher price. My Cab 23 was 99.95 (US dollars) and my 21 was ten dollars cheaper. Both rackets were purchased at Asby's; www.asby.com.

PS if you do decide to buy the rackets from Asby's they will string your racket for free with the string of your choice, provided that the value of the stringing+string cost does not exceed $20. However for about $2-$5 more you can get it strung with bg85.