What's wrong with British Badminton?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Mar 4, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    What's wrong with British Badminton?

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/olliewilliams/2011/03/badminton_2011_preview.shtml

Sad to read this article from the UK;

Ollie Williams | 09:03 UK time, Friday, 4 March 2011

When UK Sport conducted its annual review of sports it funds last December, only one summer Olympic sport received a cut in funding: badminton.

The departure of the team's head coach in acrimonious circumstances followed a summer dogged by in-fighting between top British players. At the Commonwealth Games, with many European and Asian stars excluded, English players missed a succession of chances to win gold.

UK Sport came up with around £8m for badminton ahead of 2012, and has always been clear that its decisions are based on performances, not associated politics. In cutting badminton's support by £540,000 in December, the funding body made it clear that the sport is not getting the right results.

Nathan Robertson and Gail Emms won mixed doubles silver at Athens in 2004, watched by 4.5m TV viewers in Britain, so badminton has tasted fairly recent success. But the pair came home from Beijing empty-handed and things have yet to pick up since.

What has gone wrong with British badminton? Is all hope now lost for the London Olympics in 2012?

Having spoken to Britain's top players, the sport's senior management and sources within British badminton, the reasons for this failure appear three-fold: a struggle to adequately manage players, a lack of talent, and goals being set for the London Games which, given that lack of talent, some believe are unrealistic.

In the last 12 months, British badminton has been badly affected by a squabble involving two of the team's highest-profile players - some of it played out in public.

A personality clash between team-mates Nathan Robertson and Robert Blair had been fermenting for several years. Robertson believed Blair, a Scot who has spent much of his career representing England, never fully supported his team-mates and brought a disruptive attitude to the court. Blair resented Robertson's own attitude and what was perceived as a cosy relationship between Robertson and head coach Andy Wood.

This dispute spilled over within the sport last summer, when Robertson declared he would refuse to play in England's Commonwealth Games team if Blair was also named in it.

England Badminton's selection committee duly backed down and chose Robertson but not Blair. Wood went a step further, asking Blair not to train at the sport's national centre in Milton Keynes in the build-up to the Games.

Lawyers were on the point of being called in when a review of these decisions, headed up by an interim performance director, more-or-less found in Blair's favour. Wood duly resigned, believing his authority had been undermined.

No matter who was in the right, picking sides is to overlook an overriding point: surely this should not occur in an elite sporting environment.

With players airing grievances in public at the denouement over the Christmas period, chief executive Adrian Christy issued a fiery media release to tackle the sport's demons head-on.

"I took no pleasure in washing dirty linen in public," Christy told me at the recent English National Championships. "But there were a number of comments made about how coaches and certain players had been managed.

"We know the last few months have been particularly challenging for us - we had a couple of difficult player issues to deal with - but as far as I'm concerned it's done, it's finished. We move on."

Referring to the dismissal of coach Wood, he added: "From time to time, decisions have to be made that you believe to be in best interests of performance. A lot of lessons were learned through that process and, as a sport, we never want to go through that again.

"We will move on. The squad is in good shape right now. Robert Blair has come back into the hall, and he and his partner Gabby White are a top pair for us."

Blair has indeed returned to the national training centre, though he has now switched his allegiance back to Scotland (with remarkable results to date, reaching the semi-finals of a prestigious event in Malaysia earlier this year).

But all is not yet rosy. Blair and Robertson barely speak to each other and train as far apart - within the same sports hall - as possible. One source within the sport told me: "They just ignore each other. It's like playschool. Someone should have grabbed their heads and bashed them together five or six years ago."

Speaking by phone from Scotland, Blair said: "There was a head coach who came in and told me I couldn't train any more, and there were allegations made against me about my involvement in the programme and my attitude that I refuted from the start - they weren't true.

"There have been a lot of problems. I've been in the programme for quite a while and it wasn't as organised as it should be. There was a lot of changeover of staff, and things like that.

"A lot of politics has come into things when all I want to do is go in and play. Anything that takes your mind away from that, or makes you worry about different things, is obviously quite a big distraction - especially in this past six months or so. I haven't competed much and, when I have, I've had a huge uncertainty over my career, so it's been a difficult time. It's not been ideal for my Olympic chances."

Asked about the internal politics, Robertson said: "Some years you get a lot of that, some years you don't. I've been here 15 years and seen multiple coaching and staffing changes, and that'll continue to happen forever. You want good management at the top heading it, and you want stability.

"Badminton is a squad game, you need to train against the other squad members every day, you need to play against everyone. You need that squad unity. It's the job of those in charge of the players to bring that squad together.

"[That was probably missing] a few years ago and those effects can last several years. After 2012 there is a great blend of youth to go forward."

The environment created cannot have been ideal for the pair's team-mates, particularly younger players trying to break through the ranks. But badminton's wobbling performances cannot be laid solely at the door of one personality clash.

A bigger problem is the apparent lack of playing talent in any position to win medals at 2012.

For next week's All-England Championships, one of the most prestigious tournaments in badminton, even Olympic medallist Robertson and partner Jenny Wallwork (Emms having retired post-Beijing) are unseeded. That would indicate Britain does not possess the sort of talent required to mount an effective fight against countries which, in Robertson's words, treat badminton as a "national sport".

He said: "We're competing against some extremely powerful Asian nations where badminton is one of the biggest sports there is. In England, badminton players are a minority and we're struggling to get kids involved.

"We've got great, hungry young players here - all but two of the squad are under the age of 25. They are maybe just outside world-class level and that's the hardest step, breaking into the top 15 or top 10. But they won't have reached their peak yet. It's a matter of time before they reach that level."

The question is whether they can do that in the next 18 months. An opinion exists in the sport that badminton has tied itself in knots by chasing after success at 2012 with a group of players too young and inexperienced to deliver on time - and that the sport would have been better making the bold move of downplaying its chances at a home Olympics, in favour of focusing on medals at the Rio Games four years later.

"We're not in a failing environment right now," said chief executive Christy. "We've got some of the best training facilities and off-court support in the world. Some of our next generation of talent are as good as their counterparts in the rest of Europe and getting close to some of those in the rest of the world. We know we can do it. If I wasn't convinced, we wouldn't go through the transitions that we're going through.

"We know the only thing that matters is results and medal potential. We're not yet in that position so our focus now is around young talent, the 2016 players training with us in Milton Keynes. That's where the investment we've received is going to go.

"It's an ongoing process of preparing for 2016 but," he added, before I had the chance to ask him the question, "we're not giving up on 2012 by any stretch. We've got some terrific players and we'll prepare our players as best we can and give it our best shot."

It is understandable that badminton is reluctant to write off its chances in London. Spoiling the home Olympic party by admitting you won't be competitive is not the sort of talk anyone wants to hear - players, staff, marketers or spectators.

But if anybody is going to carry British badminton's hopes into the 2012 Olympics, it will probably be men's singles player Rajiv Ouseph. The 24-year-old from Hounslow has emerged onto the world badminton scene at precisely the time his team-mates were being told by the management to play nicely.

Is Rajiv Ouseph GB's best badminton medal hope in 2012? Photo: Getty Images

Ouseph only reached the third round of last year's World Championships, but he claimed a top Danish scalp along the way and has since moved up to 14th in the men's singles world rankings. He could find himself the only British player who qualifies for the London Olympics.

Having initially been seen as lacking the motivation and drive to reach the top, Ouseph acquired a new coach in Kenneth Jonassen, kept his head down while all around him were losing theirs, and gained the maturity and confidence needed to hold his own in the highest echelons.

"Obviously, a couple of people left," is how Ouseph carefully sums up the off-court events of 2010. "Now I'm trying to focus on playing as well as I can and let those issues deal with themselves.

"[If we get] a bit of stability, hopefully that'll make the on-court matters more important. Last year as a sport we didn't do that well on the world scene, hopefully this year we can address that situation and get our funding back.

"The Olympic qualification period starts in May for us - plus the All-England and the World Championships being held in London makes it a big year for us. A medal at the Worlds would be ideal for me, then hopefully we'll get as many people into the Olympics as we can and build from that."

Britain's badminton players have endured a tough time off the court and face an immense challenge to overcome daunting opponents on it. Developing players who can win those battles will take time, both for them to learn and the dust to settle. Forgoing 2012 in favour of success at 2016 may prove a wise decision.

"We should be role models," Blair told me. "In any sport, in any walk of life, people look up to the older people who've been there before. There's a responsibility that we show them the right kind of commitment, the right kind of attitude - and if we can help them along, we should do that.

"It's not just about British badminton; if you get to the top of British badminton that doesn't mean terribly much. It's beating the other countries in the world, and we've a responsibility to make the younger players better than we've been, so they can push forward, get better results and look to qualify for future Olympics."

#1 chris-ccc, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Nothing new there, maybe time to get rid of the home nations' separate federations for once. Don't see any England in athletics or cycling either ...

8 million UK Sports funding (over 6 years?) is a mindboggling number compared to what the dutch get from the Olympic Committee which is less than 20% of that figure. On top of that funding of up ot 500,000 to host the 2011 Worlds ... If anyone in Europe has no excuses to make it's England. Maybe it's time to set up a proper league system as well ;). I mean what do they do in between tournaments?

#2 demolidor, Mar 4, 2011
  3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Too much politics involved

Perhaps too much politics involved (between tournaments) have spoiled their Badminton.

It looks like Rajiv Ouseph could find himself the only British player who can qualify for the 2012 London Olympic Games.
    :eek::eek::eek:

#3 chris-ccc, Mar 4, 2011
  4. Blazers OTK

Blazers OTK Regular Member

Student
    I personally believe one of the reasons the success of British players has declined recently is too much attention is being focused on Anthony Clark and Nathan Robertson, players Badminton England know pose the best chance of success at this current time. But the fact remains that these two players are past their time now, and far from their peak years. They don't have the physical condition to keep up with the pace of the modern game anymore. But even in saying this, it's clear from recent national championships that despite their age, Robertson and Clark are still the top dogs of English Badminton, which I think is worrying for the future. Though I guess the experience of the older players plays a large factor.

5. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student

6. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    It's all part of the failure of our talent spotters. An England selector told me that they had read a book saying that junior players shouldn't be picked on their size or physical attributes, they should be picked on their skill level even if they are only short.
    I was quite shocked at this that Badminton England had been promoting selection for junior training for potential talent based on physical characteristics and not how well they could play for ther age.
    It's a silly system, with too many people feeling that they have power, there needs to be somebody to step in and take control of everything. I like Nathan Robertson, but if he and Blair have a idsagreement that is causing problems at training then they can both have their funding cut if they can't act like proper men and sort it out.

7. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Heightism has always been in the way of many sport ever since the start of human civilization. Many of my friends had been told off(at an young age) by their coaches that they would never make it to the top for being short. Ironically, nothing has been said about their playing standard. This does not only happened in UK. Lin Dan, being the shortest man in the men squad, has the experience of being dropped from the national team during his junior days. I believed this bitter experience has somehow mold him into the champion he is today; by being mentally tough and putting alot of effort in his training. Somehow, he managed to come back to the national squad with the help of Tang Xian Fu and he never look back ever since.

If you look at LCW's physique, you would thought that he will never make it in any sport. Yet he is one of the best MS player of this era. Just take a look at markis kido and jjs, they don't look too threatening either until they pick up thei rackets.

Messi and Maradona are not the biggest guys in football, yet they are one of the brightest athletes in the circuit.

Makes you wonder, size, does it matters?

Nathan and Blair....All I can say is, they should stop playing school now and start acting like men.

8. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

sure short people can make it... but that is simply an exception to the rule.

there's a reason why the Chinese Badminton Team have height requirements... appears to me the min height of the men is 178cm with the average easily between 180-183cm

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    What is the height of LYB?:D

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

There's a reason why the Chinese Badminton Team have height requirements...

I strongly disagree. :eek::eek::eek:

If Badminton is meant for taller players only, then Badminton won't be a progressive/popular worldwide sport.

Statistics have shown that Western people are usually taller than Eastern people. But for Badminton, Eastern people have performed much better than the Western people.

Regarding to this matter, we shall examine/analyse further. :):):)

11. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    We don't have young talents, who are keen to play the sport seriously. Badminton is a minority sport in UK and not many kids are interested to develop their skills further, apart from playing in school PE lessons. I was in Badminon coaching Saturday morning club in London, most of the kids were Asians, hardly any white english kids, who are more interested in Football. That's due to the media being obsesed with Football. It's Man U this, Arsenal that......, no bloody escape from Football!

There is hardly any Badminon news on the media. What English Badminton needs is more promotion of Badminton and get more kids playing and convincng schools to do more Badminton and compitions. Look at the last two top singles players, both have been south asians; Amir Ghaffar and now Rajiv. Youngsters are the future, but at the moment, there is no effective strategy to engage with youngsters and develop their talent.

12. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Only recently getting into badminton I was suprised at there seeming to be no British badminton association. Think that would help.
    England are probably equal 2nd in Europe, best amongst english speaking nations. I think given our population and its lack of popularity we do rather well.
    Totally agree with london player, I like football but jeeze its so overdone by the media. maybe next time the media report on so called problems with british badminton they should write about themselves.
    Looked on so called sky sports news for info on all england championships, nothing but football, even though it was midweek! should call it what it is Sky Football News.
    television coverage of badminton is buried on sky sports 4, only accessible to sky sports subscribers (in other words mainly football watchers).
    I remember watching grandstand when younger seeing bits of badminton and other sports. Its all about making money.

As somebody who was good at football. for me it was about watching on Tv, this created the motivation, the self coaching and then lots of practice, which means unimited access to facilities which in football just meant a field. do children have either of these for the purposes of badminton.
    Also if you listen to badminton players being interviewed, their parents were avid players, it seems almost a requirement. Wonder if this is so true of top asian players?

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Around 86 percent of secondary schools play badminton

To London_Player and bbirdman, Have read of this article (written just a few days ago);

Source: http://www.latimes.com/sports/sns-rt-ouksp-uk-badminton-etre727013-20110308,0,5901590.story

Boom times as England hosts world elite

Reuters
    March 8, 2011

By Dave Thompson

MILTON KEYNES, England (Reuters) - Despite the wet, grey and chilly weather in Milton Keynes, there is a spring in the step of players and officials alike at England's National Badminton Centre.

The country is on the brink of an unprecedented spell of top-class, global badminton more than sufficient to dispel any gloom.

It kicks off with the All England tournament in Birmingham this week (March 9-13) followed by the World Championships at Wembley in August and the Olympics at the same venue in 2012.

The cornucopia follows Liverpool and Manchester staging major European championships in the last couple of years but for global tastes the best is yet to come.

"I can't imagine this ever happening again, certainly not in my lifetime," Badminton England (BE) chief executive Adrian Christy told Reuters.

The All Englands have long been known as the Wimbledon of badminton and as ever all the big names will be on parade.

The return of top badminton to Wembley when the world championships come to call in the summer adds fresh relish.

"To have the worlds at the Olympic venue is not only a great opportunity and an exciting time for us but also for the athletes, teams, coaches and of course the fans that are going to be coming in August," Christy said.

NEW GENERATION

The hope is that English players, without medals at major global events in recent seasons, can rise to the occasion.

Nathan Robertson, mixed doubles runner-up with now retired Gail Emms at the Athens Games back in 2004 and world champion with her in 2006, will retire after the London Olympics, but he sees a new generation coming through and is optimistic.

Still a leading medal hope himself, the 33-year-old told Reuters: "I can see we've got a young squad that's improving.

"We're still a few steps behind the strongest nations like China but we've players in the squad who have had world-class performances and beaten players who are in the top 10 in the world.

"The performances have been there in the past and those players are definitely improving so it's just a case of if they'll get there in time."

Robertson's playing partner Jenny Wallwork, excited as the big tests draw near, said: "We've had some great results in the last six to eight months, beating three of the top four pairs in the world.

"So it's just about us carrying on and hopefully getting more scalps like that and progressing from there."

INTERNATIONAL DEBUT

Men's doubles player Andy Ellis made a huge impression on his international debut last month when he and Chris Adcock stretched world number ones Carsten Mogenesen and Mathias Boe to the limit.

In an epic clash at the European team championships, the English duo won the first game 29-27 and led 14-8 in the decider only to be pipped by the vastly experienced Danes 27-29 21-19 21-17.

Ellis told Reuters: "They're the top pair in the world but we put some real scares on them."

The 24-year-old is bullish as the All Englands loom. "It's a good chance to test ourselves," he said."

"I think now is the time we all have to prove to ourselves that we are good enough and we can be the best in the world. I for one do think Chris and I can be the top pair in the world."

Officials hope the high-profile events, laced possibly with medals, will have the crowds clamouring in a country that traditionally nurtured the sport and where it continues to have a healthy grass-roots appeal.

Around 86 percent of secondary schools play badminton and an estimated one million people enjoy the sport each month.

Chief executive Christy said: "We want to use London as kind of a catalyst to present our sport to a whole new audience. What a fantastic legacy that would be."

14. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

To chris CC.
    badminton in schools.
    my experience of badminton in school was taster sessions run be somebody whos only knowledge of the game is the rules. Similar can be said for basketball volleyball and gymnastics (other sports GB are crap). This doesn't create on its own create a badminton culture needed if britain wanted to challenge the asians.

8 million people play badminton.
    At what level? How often? Most will be people who sample it, garden playing gentley lobbing it. We are not on a par with countries like indonesia and malaysia, theres not the same strength and depth, dedicated badminton halls, more knowledge and easy access to watching it. Lee Chong Wei is a big sports star in malaysia,

The All England Championships
    Yes we have great facilities, a great championships. Nobody watches it or even knows its on. Even many keen badminton players don't know its on. Most badminton players I know talk about football and haven't heard of any badminton players

I think badminton is like football you need lots of youngsters playing a few times a week to create a large pool of talent. If you want to challenge the asians.

Think GB does well althings considered, its very hard changing culture. Only gripe in this country is the media

If it wasn't for badminton england and their no strings badminton intiative i wouldn't be posting here posting here

15. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Also just everybody being interested in badminton every 4 years if we do well in the olympics is no good its never helped with media just being interested in wimbledon in tennis.
    Other events needed to be promoted.

16. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I can't speak for England, but the media definitely is the biggest hurdle. I remember the couple of times badminton has been on TV (i.e. before they cut it off halfway through a Commonwealth Games tie to go to... Lawn Bowls...), I had many comments (from people that knew I played) that "wow! Badminton is really fast! Very exciting.". If just more people could see that... but like England and football (hell - we even get football news here and NZ is NOT a football nation), the media here is just all Rugby... Which I enjoy on occasion, but not when it's all I ever see. Broadcasters don't seem to understand the concept of "variety".

17. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Yes, it's necessary for as many people as possible to see how badminton really is, because that backyard sport image is rooted deeply.

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Here's a little table from an evaluation report made for and about the Dutch Federation by a consultancy firm:

Countries in order: Netherlands, Germany, England, Denmark, France, China and Indonesia.
    Columns in order: Members, Clubs, Competitive Players, Olympic hopefulls for 2012
    And with members I assume for example Badminton England members, members of their respective national associations paying a members fee. There's a nice SWOT analysis in there as well about these countries but would take some time to translate, etc.

Maybe badminton in England would get more attention if they had a premier league where their "stars" play a league match at least once a month in between the tournaments.

Attached Files:

#18 demolidor, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

England:
    S - Lot's of possibilities for young players, selection based on intensive international matchscreening and big capital injection going into 2012
    W - Conservative approach
    O - London 2012!
    T - Overorganized with (too!) many possibilities for the players (not sure what they're pointing at here, probably that they're spoilt :p)

#19 demolidor, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The media (or lack of it) is a big part. However, you also have to have the right media coverage. It's all very well just having media coverage of UK players, but it really doesn't help if the kids cannot read about the top people in the world either. I'm watching the AllEngland finals. Wouldn't it be great if they had a person who could understand what the coaches are saying and repeating it to the audience in english?