User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 35 to 51 of 73
  1. #35
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,769
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I've always wondered why people use the awl at all. I used it ocassionally to open up grommets when I used to weave and tension on the machine, but since converting to pre-weaving many years ago, I've not touched my awl.

    What else is the awl used for?
    If you pre-weave... nothing. I sometimes use it to move mains loops out of the way, but that's about it.

  2. #36
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,156
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diverdan View Post
    I have been watching Kwuns video and he is just using an awl and bent nose pliers. I'll take a look at the string mover video and try again. Is using a string mover at high tensions (30lb+) on the outer main easy? I tried but didn't get much movement and was worried about pulling too hard.
    here is an updated video on shared holes:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adD08zJTW1Q

  3. #37
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,769
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bakulaw View Post
    I sent my MX60/80 hole string pattern to a stringer at 28X30 lbs (1st time I tried him).
    When the racket came back, the bottom cross string is missing (string across B8-D8).
    There's also an extra cross string across A7-C7 but it is quite lose with almost no tension (moves way easily).

    Any suggestions whether to send it back or continue playing with it?

    I've attached a photo of the missed cross at D8... Funny thing is the string at B8 is not tied to any other string... Only the knot seems to be preventing it from passing through the grommet.. quite odd.

    Attachment 151251
    Have a look at this picture....

  4. #38
    Regular Member ucantseeme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    @home
    Posts
    985
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @Mark A

    You have eagle eyes.

  5. #39
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Have a look at this picture....
    Thanks! After some heated discussion to point out the stringing flaws (improper tie off, loose top cross, missing bottom cross), the stringer was apologetic and agreed to re string the racket...

  6. #40
    Regular Member DuckFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    can you preweave the 80 hole pattern?

  7. #41
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,769
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default 80-hole alternative pattern

    After a bit of experimentation, I settled on this for a 2PTD:

    Top
    Name:  MX top.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  274.7 KB

    There's room for an extra cross at the top (but you need a thin loadpreader and narrow clamps if you want to clamp it). The result is, I think, probably the highest top cross of any pattern.

    Bottom
    Name:  MX bot.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  278.9 KB

    I hated having to go from B12 to B6 for the mains tie-off, so I started looking for ways to get a closer knot or a closer last main. I couldn't get the latter without having huge loops at the top of the racket, so I was left with tying the mains at B10. Luckily, you can still get a cross through that hole even with a knot in it.
    Last edited by Mark A; 11-10-2013 at 05:56 AM.

  8. #42
    Regular Member DuckFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That reminds me, put this extra cross in this time...

    You haribito guys, do you also do progressive tensions other than +2 on the crosses? I hope I can combine both, I don't see why not but I'll make sure the same tension is used when doing the "round the house" bit.

  9. #43
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    After a bit of experimentation, I settled on this for a 2PTD:

    Top
    Name:  MX top.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  274.7 KB

    There's room for an extra cross at the top (but you need a thin loadpreader and narrow clamps if you want to clamp it). The result is, I think, probably the highest top cross of any pattern.

    Bottom
    Name:  MX bot.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  278.9 KB

    I hated having to go from B12 to B6 for the mains tie-off, so I started looking for ways to get a closer knot or a closer last main. I couldn't get the latter without having huge loops at the top of the racket, so I was left with tying the mains at B10. Luckily, you can still get a cross through that hole even with a knot in it.
    That's exactly how I string it. Having that extra top cross increases durability a lot.

  10. #44
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,769
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Interestingly, Victor now recommends a 2PTD for the 80 hole pattern:

    http://www.victor-international.com/...pattern_80.pdf

    Those big long tie-offs on the mains annoy me, but I suppose it's the lesser of two evils over that preposterous "splitting"...

  11. #45
    Regular Member DuckFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Interesting. Why the change? I'm happier doing top down now I think and I have decided to try the gosen/haribito semi top down anyway.

  12. #46
    Regular Member dbswansea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    1,199
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is exactly how my JJS has come back from the stringer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Interestingly, Victor now recommends a 2PTD for the 80 hole pattern:

    http://www.victor-international.com/...pattern_80.pdf

    Those big long tie-offs on the mains annoy me, but I suppose it's the lesser of two evils over that preposterous "splitting"...

  13. #47
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,769
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbswansea View Post
    This is exactly how my JJS has come back from the stringer.
    Well, I hope you were happy - I suggest my own pattern to my Meteor clients before I do their rackets... and none of them really care which way I do things.

  14. #48
    Regular Member dbswansea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    1,199
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well I gave him the older pattern, saw your post and thought hmmmmm. Then I picked it up to find he'd done the new one so I'm pleased.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Well, I hope you were happy - I suggest my own pattern to my Meteor clients before I do their rackets... and none of them really care which way I do things.

  15. #49
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,156
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    to be honest, i think the addition of the B8 string is pretty useless. doesn't add much in terms of protecting the main string, and just add extra cross for the grievance of stringers.

    the separation of B11/B12 is more useful.

  16. #50
    Regular Member DuckFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    B# is the number counted up from the bottom/throat/T right? I don't see an extra string, just change to standard 2PTD. Looking forward to the new video when you make it. Hint

  17. #51
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,769
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    to be honest, i think the addition of the B8 string is pretty useless. doesn't add much in terms of protecting the main string, and just add extra cross for the grievance of stringers.
    Well, you say this... but last Weds a lad at our club called Sam ended up with a shuttle stuck in the bottom of the middle mains after they snapped.

    I just can't abide an unused grommet, though, and that's why I use it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. VIDEO: Haribito 76 holes (22x21) professional pattern
    By kwun in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 31
    : 12-21-2013, 08:19 PM
  2. VIDEO: How to do the Victor 80 holes stringing pattern
    By kwun in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 22
    : 04-16-2012, 04:45 PM
  3. Victor SW35 stringing pattern ?
    By LD rules! in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 4
    : 08-10-2010, 03:30 AM
  4. Victor Inside Wave 5000 Stringing Pattern
    By Ali G in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 10
    : 02-18-2010, 01:54 AM
  5. Stringing Pattern for Ashaway Nano Legend with 96 holes??
    By AZbadman in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 0
    : 01-31-2009, 11:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •