User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    i don't see how 1 piece is more asymmetric than 2 piece given that we are doing the simple center out main, and bottom up cross.
    perhaps if you do more fancy flow like 50/50 cross, then it is more symmetric. but i don't see many people doing that regularly. most people do top down or bottom up.
    and with one string segment and fewer knots, the tension loss should be smaller.
    that's right boss ...
    many people just quote someone's, simply because they didn't do stringing service.
    nowadays, mostly I do Haribito Professional ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried out this method and the 4 knot regular pattern on MX80's and from my experience on my 6 point mounting machine I prefer throwing the standard 4 knots method on it. Victor seems to try and address frame shape and tension sweet spot all in one go. Adding 2lbs extra on my machine leads to narrowing of the frame, and having two tie off knots on the cross especially the top leads to a loose top cross.

Performance wise, my friends actually preferred the 4 knots as it felt it had more consistent power. Durability wise, the Victor pattern didn't last as long either. At any rate, I feel that this pattern is only for purists who want to go with manufacturers recommendation. Use it if you want, but thank god victor added some extra shared grommets for those who want to keep 4 knots.

3. Likes bsmith, Pete LSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Optiblue View Post
    I've tried out this method and the 4 knot regular pattern on MX80's and from my experience on my 6 point mounting machine I prefer throwing the standard 4 knots method on it. Victor seems to try and address frame shape and tension sweet spot all in one go. Adding 2lbs extra on my machine leads to narrowing of the frame, and having two tie off knots on the cross especially the top leads to a loose top cross.

Performance wise, my friends actually preferred the 4 knots as it felt it had more consistent power. Durability wise, the Victor pattern didn't last as long either. At any rate, I feel that this pattern is only for purists who want to go with manufacturers recommendation. Use it if you want, but thank god victor added some extra shared grommets for those who want to keep 4 knots.
    Do you mind if I ask where you tied your mains ? I strung a MX70 with 4 knots and when it was the time to tie off the mains, I was confused :P There is no dedicated holes for the extra knots, so I had to tie off at B10, which felt weird because there is already 2 strings in that grommet, making it 1 main, 1 cross, 1 main knot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    Do you mind if I ask where you tied your mains ? I strung a MX70 with 4 knots and when it was the time to tie off the mains, I was confused :P There is no dedicated holes for the extra knots, so I had to tie off at B10, which felt weird because there is already 2 strings in that grommet, making it 1 main, 1 cross, 1 main knot.
    when i string my mx80 i tie mains at b10 too. thats kind of the most logical place even though its tricky when your string is thick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK - I had to do a Meteor 80 last night... complete pain in the arse. Attempt at a 2PTD resulted in huge loops to get to the mains knots, so I had to redo with Victor's prescribed pattern.

Adding this to the fact that my machine's supports blocked the shared holes at the top meant I had to preweave the crosses while the mains were loose. This pattern is an abomination, Victor - needlessly complicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mark A,
    Earlier you have mentioned that victor's pattern is not like haribito.
    Can you please share haribito patterns with us if you don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aqua26 View Post
    Hi Mark A,
    Earlier you have mentioned that victor's pattern is not like haribito.
    Can you please share haribito patterns with us if you don't mind.
    See this:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...41#post1884241

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having read this thread I see the 80 hole method has got mixed reviews. Some say it is a pain, durability is better and worse, it feels better and worse so I have an MX80 and not sure which is the best method to use. I will string it at 30lbs and follow the manufacturers guidelines to start with. Are there any tips which experienced 80 hole stringers want to share?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A message to all stringers who use the 80 hole pattern. I have tried stringing the 80 hole pattern but really struggling with threading D14 on the cross. Is there a knack to it? I have already bust a string trying to enlarge the hole using an awl. I saw Mark A pre-weaved all the mains but I can see this being a real pain with a drop weight machine. I have just stripped the racket and enlarged all the shared holes so hoping this will help. Is it worth the hassle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have any problem at all with D14, I find it to be quite easy for a shared grommet actually.

Are you using a string mover ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diverdan View Post
    A message to all stringers who use the 80 hole pattern. I have tried stringing the 80 hole pattern but really struggling with threading D14 on the cross. Is there a knack to it? I have already bust a string trying to enlarge the hole using an awl. I saw Mark A pre-weaved all the mains but I can see this being a real pain with a drop weight machine. I have just stripped the racket and enlarged all the shared holes so hoping this will help. Is it worth the hassle?
    I don't pre-weave mains; I preweave some crosses, but being top-down I would only do it until C15.

Enlarging all the shared holes before mounting the racket is always a god idea - get the awl in and turn it in the hole, like you're stirring soup. If your awl is breaking strings, dip the end in Vaseline before using it.

Have you tried the string-puller trick?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been watching Kwuns video and he is just using an awl and bent nose pliers. I'll take a look at the string mover video and try again. Is using a string mover at high tensions (30lb+) on the outer main easy? I tried but didn't get much movement and was worried about pulling too hard.
    Last edited by diverdan; 01-28-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sent my MX60/80 hole string pattern to a stringer at 28X30 lbs (1st time I tried him).
    When the racket came back, the bottom cross string is missing (string across B8-D8).
    There's also an extra cross string across A7-C7 but it is quite lose with almost no tension (moves way easily).

Any suggestions whether to send it back or continue playing with it?

I've attached a photo of the missed cross at D8... Funny thing is the string at B8 is not tied to any other string... Only the knot seems to be preventing it from passing through the grommet.. quite odd.

Name:  mx60 string.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  126.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi you should send it to me for stringing next time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bakulaw View Post
    I sent my MX60/80 hole string pattern to a stringer at 28X30 lbs (1st time I tried him).
    When the racket came back, the bottom cross string is missing (string across B8-D8).
    There's also an extra cross string across A7-C7 but it is quite lose with almost no tension (moves way easily).

Any suggestions whether to send it back or continue playing with it?
    A missing cross at the bottom will have almost no effect - you can play with it without worrying. You should point it out to your stringer next time, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diverdan View Post
    I have been watching Kwuns video and he is just using an awl and bent nose pliers. I'll take a look at the string mover video and try again. Is using a string mover at high tensions (30lb+) on the outer main easy? I tried but didn't get much movement and was worried about pulling too hard.
    You could also try dipping your awl in Vaseline before you jam it in - it leaves a nice coating on everything so the string should go through far easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    You could also try dipping your awl in Vaseline before you jam it in - it leaves a nice coating on everything so the string should go through far easier.
    I've always wondered why people use the awl at all. I used it ocassionally to open up grommets when I used to weave and tension on the machine, but since converting to pre-weaving many years ago, I've not touched my awl.

What else is the awl used for?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast