deceptive shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dontmakeme, Mar 7, 2011.

1. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    Hi everyone,
    I watched a video of Peter Gade vs Chen Hong and when Peter Gade used a deceptive shot on Chen Hong the commentor said something about a double action. What does this double action mean?And how does it work?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiuJ63lbbmE
    the shot was done around 0:24 in the video.
    Thanks

2. cliffordgooi

cliffordgooi Regular Member

Accountant
    I can't view the video from work, but from the looks of it - double action would also mean double motion. It is more or less where a player makes an initial racquet movement in one direction before withdrawing the racquet to hit in another direction. That is what makes the shots deceptive.

I could be wrong in terms of what you were trying to ask :p

3. dontmakeme

student
    That makes sense I wonder how I could actually put that into game play -.-...

4. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

wow gade's footwork to get back and hit that smash AND drive off his left leg to retrieve CH's net shot is a thing of beauty

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

theres proper close up and slow mo of gade practising this shot (and others) on bestoncourt.com.

6. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    training deceptive / delayed action

start off my asking your coach or friend to throw shuttle over the net and you try to catch it with your racket, as high up near the white tape of the net as possible, like your racket following the shuttle coming down in the air and have the shuttle landed stably on the string bed. start off by standing by the net, then try standing at the T and leap a step to approach the net, practise that 100-200 times, until you can do it consistently.

once you mastered that stroke, all deceptive / delayed action starts from there. when you're approaching the net, stick your racket out as usual, wait for the shuttle come over, like catching it, that will draw your opponent up to the net, that moment gives you an option of either a net touch, or flick your wrist at the last moment and leave your opponent feet glued to the ground.

hard to put actions into words, give it a try mate... :)

7. dontmakeme

student
    lol i was supposed to practice catching birdies with my racket so that i could learn how to master picking up a birdie ;D. Now i can kill two birds with one stone. Thanks

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Check out this video by a renowned coach JB Lee.
    Double and triple action!
    But you have to be able to get to the bird early enough to give you this option.
    [video=youtube;oxSL3OaSlKI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxSL3OaSlKI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

#8 visor, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if you are just a beginner, then focus on doing the netshot correctly first before trying to do fancy stuff.

don't learn to run before you can walk.

10. dontmakeme

student
    thanks for the video and yes kwun you are correct i should learn to walk before i run =).But it doesnt mean i cant skip XD.....

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    I say above couldn't be explained any other way :)

12. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

indeed!

if gade didn't have such great footwork, he wouldn't have got to CH's net shot as early as he did.

and if you don't get to a net shot early enough, a deceptive shot is simply not possible.

13. winstonchan

Partly agree with you badders2006, getting to the shuttle well in advance does have time advantage, but it's not the key to deceptive shots. The key to deceptive shots is delayed action, a fine and swift movement of the wrist and fingers, or turning your racket handle for change of direction. At the last second, your wrist could flick, or your wrist could lock. The opponent simply could not read your move at all. An example would be a player can jump 2 feet high at the back of the court and play a deceptive drop shot leaving the opponent standing at the back of his court. That has nothing to do with footwork.

And I agree with Kwun, learn the basics before we deceive others, or we end up deceiving ourselves...

#13 winstonchan, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  14. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Getting to the base with enough time to play the shuttle more than 12 ft above the ground is all about footwork.

15. winstonchan

I agree for singles, but when you're playing doubles, you don't need a lot of time to get to the base (unless you and your partner are both at the net).

Footwork is important for the whole game, not just deceptive shots. Fine & delayed action of your wrist and fingers is the key to deceptive shots.

16. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Is this shot an actual double motion shot or what is called the hold and hit shot?? Luks like a hold and hit cause I cant see the double motion

17. dontmakeme

student
    I dont know but he did it in another video against Lin Dan way back in 2003? <I think i dont really know. Lin Dan was wearing a black shirt with like a red fire like stripe

18. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    A double motion shot (In my opinion) is an action where you take the racquet towards the shuttle to pretend you are hitting it in one direction, to then bring the racquet away from the shuttle to create an angle to hit the shuttle away from where you were pretending to hit it. Two forward motions towards the shuttle basically.

What Gade did was not a double motion, he pushed his racquet towards the shuttle to hit it to the right, but he then pushed his elbow forwards, this changed the angle of the racquet to aim the shuttle in the opposite direction. This video is a better view of the same action (I don't think my description is very good) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfxc0dxTKaY&feature=related

19. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    I disagree...

Without footwork-if you are not able to reach the bird in time, there is no scope of deception. Deception works only when you deprive opponent of reaction time. Even when I am playing a very deceptive player, I will have no trouble if my footwork is superir. I will be reaching back my base when he prepares for the shot-And I can wait till he complete the shot and still reach the bird. At the same time, I will not give him opertunity to make delayed motions/double actions as he will be strugling to reach the bird and his prime objective would be retrive the shot and place on the other side of the net some how.

Even in doubles, don't expect easy opertunity to smash/net kill- you need to earn it with inteligent play and fast paced movements around the court(foot work). Otherwise, you will be defending thinking about those marvellous deceptive shots you are going to play till your opponents play the winning shot.

Please do not judge once skills by rating him in a game with lessor opponents. You need to test it out with somebody, who si well coached and has that natuaral flair. untill then, you would not know.
    NP

#19 nprince, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  20. amleto

amleto Regular Member

The gade vid is double action. the LJB is a variation on hold & hit.