How do I train the girl to play the net well for mixed doubles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by smashf0sho, Mar 10, 2011.

1. smashf0sho

smashf0sho Regular Member

Hi guyz
    There is this girl I have to play with but she is not all that good
    I am playing mixed doubles for my school team
    I want to train her and help her get better playing at the net

What drills can I use on her? I want to teach her to return serves
    properly because she only knows like one shot and anyone who
    plays with her will be able to catch that right away

Please teach me some good drills to help my partner get better

Also can you please give me advice on how the guy should play
    in the back and the mentality? What is the guy aiming for?
    Is he trying to push to the net? Is it about pushing the guy far back?
    Or does he hav to focus on setting up for his partner?

Thanx

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I find girls that age mite not want to do drills as such. Ur best bet IMO is to show her the other options. She prob jus plays without thinking and hits the things. Teach her the other possible options and by al means, serve to her and get her to do the other shots like maybe a half court push, flat drive up the line or the 1 she wil find easiest the attacking clear into the backhand corner but also show her the opposite to this.

She wil find the lift into the backhand the easiest shot and at lower level badminton, its used a lot and works well but show her the lift into the forehand cause if she keeps playing this shot, the opponent will start moving more and more to the backhand side so the odd forehand clear is a great shot which can catch them out.

Ur job is mainly to attack if possible. Dont lift to often cause I often found the man who smashes the most wins in general. If the woman is good, try and push it past her into the mid court with fast drops, half paced smashes and full on smash. Throw in the odd drop shot into the net area but make sure its at the side.

Good women wil be standing waiting for the straight drop as this is the most likely of shots. Try 1 or 2 out and see if she gets them or not. Throw in the odd cross court but it must be good!!! If she is killing ur straight drop shots at the net, she is probably standing to close to that side so cross court is a great shot!!

Even try the odd smash at the woman but make it steep!! Hit it at her head, lot of decent woman have the racket up at that height so they get it back and ur stuck but if its steep and if it hits them, it can scare the poo out of them which is what u want!! :)

#2 gingerphil79, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

If you dant have a strong partner, then as soon as you lift, you lose the point. This means that all your shots have to be flat/attacking.