Yonex MP99, a collector's item? vs. what? Arc10?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by cycilver, Mar 13, 2011.

1. cycilver

cycilver Regular Member

Student
    Hey everybody, I was just wondering if I could get some information on the MP99.

When I first started playing badminton a few years back, I would always goto a shop and see this yellow mustard-like racket on the rack and always think to myself "i want that racket" but of course back in the day I wasn't that good and would in no way spend that kind of money on a racket (oh how times have changed...).

When I finally got to a level where I was willing to spend >$100 CAD on a racket, the MP99 was being phased out and the price skyrocketed! Was it really that popular and fun to use? And is it purely a collector's item now?

The reason I ask is because I have a friend who has a genuine and brand new unstrung MP99 he is willing to sell me but I have no clue whether to buy it or not since I've never touched one. I'm not really a big collector or rackets, I just stock up on the ones I like in case I break strings or the racket itself during a tournament =P

I've also heard that it is like an Arc10 but not as durable, any comment?

Thanks for the help!

Wallace

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

If I was you I would buy your friends one, it's rare to find the MP99 in such a condition.

The MP99 IMO is as collectable as the AT700 (1st gen) and Ti10 (1st gen) although perhaps not as sought after as the forementioned rackets. it was a very good racket, and something I would consider buying if I found.

It is similar to the Arc10, I can't comment on durabiity that varies depending on user and luck. It was and still is a very popular racket, but generally users of it (that i know of) who switch rackets regularly have used AT900P (4U) and ArcSabers 10 and 8DX. These are probably the most similar rackets to the MP99.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    MP99 is a great doubles racket. Great balance, not head heavy and cumbersome but not headlight & no power. Depending on the price of course, but I don't think you would regret buying one & if you do someone will buy it off you on the forum I am sure.

4. cycilver

cycilver Regular Member

Student
    I would be getting it for $160 CAD XD

5. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

I would have bought it for my collection and reused my old one where with some paint chips off. To a collector, a brand new racket from the old generation is worth a lot. To play with it, it's rather a Carbonex with isometric head. It's not as stiff as the modern rackets so there is not really a good replacement. Arcsabers are the replacements as for the balance, but they are not the same...

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor