confusion at smashing stroke / clear stroke!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by malaysianfreak, Mar 15, 2011.

1. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    halo all!!
    i learnt the badminton stroke at here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ
    which uses more of the forearm! (or this stroke is for overheads?? )
    when i searched for more video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ldi3h-KWs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KaJTPmuUW0

well this two videos said use the wrist ...snapping it..so this make me confused according to badmintonBible use less wrist and more forearm but i seen at least 3 vids calling you to snap your wrist :confused::confused::confused:? i thought you have to use your forearm? so please help me!

oh and how to do a straight smash a?? using the instructions at the 1st video i can only produce crosscourt smashes ....so hw a??

thanks in advance!!!!

2. druss

druss Regular Member

From what i can see the first and third videos are the same, the "snap of the wrist" shown in the third video is actually mostly pronation of the forearm. The second video is a total crock and should be ignored (I don't care who he says he is).

If you're only able to cross court smash then you're still using too much full arm and not enough wrist/forearm pronation.

3. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    Test out your own wrist by trying to moving your wrist downwards the way you would stroke and choose a few that you find the easiest to move. After that hold onto your racket and see for yourself which ones make the most sense. Then apply it with video 1 and 3. Video 1 is the correct stroke, the reason you might hit crosscourt is ,because of the pronation portion ,when you hit the shuttle the turn causes the hit to go towards the direction you turn towards. Thats what I did to understand how smashes work =p.

4. malaysianfreak

student
    oh....so when you smash you need to use your wrist??

5. druss

druss Regular Member

You need to use the entire arm to smash but... most of the power comes from pronation of the forearm but there is, of course, an element of wrist to the action.

6. Soshi

Soshi Regular Member

I am in the exact same situation as you malaysianfreak. It seems that in the first video, it shows that the wrist snap is not really "bending" your wrist but turning towards your body o.o is that right?

#6 Soshi, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  7. druss

druss Regular Member

Here is a good way to see for yourself why pronation is better than bending the wrist in terms of speed/power generation.

Hold the racket in front of you with arm extended and rotated so that the racket face (side that hits the shuttle) is pointed down at the ground then bend your wrist as if hitting a shuttle and see how much freedom of movement there is. Then do the same exercise but by rotating the forearm. You'll see much more range of movement by pronation (rotation counter clockwise with arm extended in front) of the forearm.

8. dontmakeme

student
    A strong smash requires BOTH wrist and forearm strength. Wrist for the precision and the direction of the racket going downwards. Forearm for the turning of the muscles which creates power. When you combine them both you get a fast and strong smash going straight down the opponent's court.

9. malaysianfreak

student
    oh...okay understood but still is the 3 videos teaching 3 different things?

10. druss

druss Regular Member

As per my previous post, ignore the second video. The first one is actually pretty good but he does not talk about the mechanics of the swing enough.

11. malaysianfreak

student
    fuh...lucky i learnt from the correct one =)

12. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    For smashing, the videos are confusing. Because in video 1 he only talks about pronation and doesn't mention the use of the wrist, but in video 3 all they talk about is the wrist lol

I was confused too about it, but now I understand it and I like to think of it as a combination of both pronation and use of wrist. The good thing from video 1 is that he tells and shows you how to properly "fully" pronate to generate power. In video 3 his point about concentrating the smash into a short "snap" is also very useful.

So when I smash now I try to think of it as a combination of the two and it actually helps a lot lol, hopefully that clears it up more for u

13. alexh

alexh Regular Member

You need to watch what they do, and ignore what words they use. Videos 1 and 3 are both showing the correct technique. Especially, look at the slow motion shots in video 3.

A lot of people, even some very good players, imagine that they're using the wrist when it's really the forearm. If it makes you feel better, you can interpret "wrist snap" to mean "rotate the wrist (using your forearm muscles to drive the rotation)"--so videos 1 and 3 are just using different words to describe the same action. As long as you're not actually bending your wrist on power shots it should work out OK.

14. malaysianfreak

student
    okay got it vid 2 is kinda bad >.< still i have 2 more question ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFgctZN4VLA accodring to this vid at time 1:07 wad grip is that? is it a panhandle? oh and is there any video for forehand push? thanks in adv

shawn

15. dontmakeme

student
    That grip is called the back hand grip it is basically like the pan handle grip. It is used when you use your back hand and when you want to do net play.

16. alexh

alexh Regular Member

17. malaysianfreak

student
    Thanks! U helped

18. malaysianfreak

student
    lol sorie wrg post i mean thanks alex! helped a lot!