Cross & Main Tension

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TX, Mar 19, 2001.

1. TX

TX Guest

Someone brought this good point out at the review. Can someone please explain cross and main tension on the rackets. One is lower than the other. Generally players like to talk about tension like average 21lbs, high tension like 25 ibs yet I come across players talking about 41-45lbs tension, which they said is the same as the 20s measurement.

2. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I just read this article on string tension...
    it uses Tennis as an example however, if you read it, you'll see the points are very valid with badminton as well.

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~badmintn/ioi/Tension.html

Apparently the 18-20lbs range on the main, all the way up to 30lbs+ you actually get similar effects!!!
    it's the 21-25 range that seems people loose the most power... I find that very strange...
    I also learned that some people strung their racquets the same both ways, with varying results.
    The ones that use Yonex racquets didn't have much warpage in the frames... however the non-yonex users majority had severe warpage... like my friend's perfectly round circle framed racquet.

I think as long as the main tension does not exceed that of the cross section it will be fine, because you want an even balance of tension in the centre of the sweet spot, as that's where you're hitting the shuttle. Also you will obviously be pulling in the top of the racquet head, and making the circle once again...

I hope some of this helps, as I've been learning about this the last few days.

I myself keep the 2lbs difference, just because I don't want anything to f*** up my racquet... if it's going to break it'll be from my own power, not because it was strung improperly.
    but then this is just all my opinion.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    41-45lbs tension!?! I didn't know any racket could take that tension. The highest i have my strung is to 25-26lbs.

4. TX

TX Guest

The 41-45lbs is to be divided by 2. e.g. when they said it's 42lbls, they are talking about 21 lbs. I don't where such measurement came from but there is such system of tension.

5. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    i dont quite understand what kelvin said. is that accually true? that if you string over 20lb, u will accually LOSE power? i have a prince axis 63 restrung at 20lbs all around and i get good poewr from it....whats the diff when u have different cross/main tensions?

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Shaun read this article...

Please read this article, as it gives a fairly good technical explanation about string tension...

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~badmintn/ioi/Tension.html

I just learned about this recently... and I've been playing for 16 years! :)

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Re: Shaun read this article...

be careful on that article:

1. it is not scientific, it uses a series of "thought experiences"
    2. tennis is not exactly same as badminton dynamics

i just read the first page, so i might have more to add later on

8. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    Re: Shaun read this article...

I belive thoughtful experiments or even experiences prove things BETTER than the scientific approach. It may sound foolish BUT the scientific figures only happen in the lab and what happens in the lab cannot be applied to the REAL world because there will be other factors that affect things. course this is just my opinion

9. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    OH WAIT! ok i didnt read the whole thing yet BUT it says loose for power, tight for controll.....uh......u sure? loose means it ABSORBS ENERGY...but also too tight doesnt rebound...isnt it all dependant on how hard you swing and the shuttle velocity towards your racquet?

10. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    oh and wait!

hey this is bouncing in the article...which is irrelevant because it is not taking into the account of the force exerted on swinging the racquet!

11. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    ahhhhh ok i'm confused "[

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: oh and wait!

Shaun,

read <a href="http://www.badmintonforum.com/forums/read.php?f=2&i=2385&t=2210">this post</a> and see if things makes more sense now.

kwun

13. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    Re: oh and wait!

hmm thats exactly wot i thought. ok good i'm not confused heh.
    thanx kwun

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    shaun, i thought you prefers thoughtful experiments over scientific, huh?

**I belive thoughtful experiments or even experiences prove things BETTER than the scientific approach. It may sound foolish BUT the scientific figures only happen in the lab and what happens in the lab cannot be applied to the REAL world because there will be other factors that affect things. course this is just my opinion**

15. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    yes i do believe that. and i'm trying to prove that the article is wrong "] NOT contradict myself "[