Chen Yuekun ( 陈跃坤 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Mar 16, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I don't think there is a thread for Chen Yuekun as yet.

I could not find any personal information to build up a profile on him, but here is what I have so far. Maybe Suetyan can help out... :)

Chen Yuekun
    Type of player: Mens Singles
    Plays for: China, Wuhan province
    Current BWF ranking: 115

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I just finished watching a video of Chen Yuekun's match against Taufik Hidayat at CBSL-2011. Here is the link for the first part:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EezCwr5Pj9M

His composure was very impressive. Plus, he has a full range of shots, and is capable of playing a very deceptive game as well.

I am just wondering why he is not shortlisted for selection into the national squad? He appears to have really great potential.

3. Shingyboy

Shingyboy Regular Member

Authorised Distributor
    You he does look quite good actually, definitely in my opinion has potential.

But did anyone else think he looked? slow? like purposely slow, I felt like he was super lazy doing like anything, even just walking he just looked like he could not be bothered, hell if he really wanted he could probably stop breathing too because he would be too lazy to do that. joking aside I don't know he just looked like he really lazy.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yeah, you're right, he has that certain style that we have seen the Indian players display! ;)

I had the distinct impression that stamina is one of his weak points; he sort of tailed towards the end of the second game and never really recovered from there on; making silly mistakes, losing his impeccable line and control.

Problems like stamina and strength can be addressed. He certainly has a natural talent, oodles of potential. So what's keeping him out of the squad: his lack of poster-boy looks?

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Chen Yuekun is playing the MO GP Gold that has just begun today. I hope he advances into the last stages at least... I think he has the potential to spoil the party for some of the seeded players, for sure! :)

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Another big hitter in the mould of Wang Zheng Min and Chen Hong.

Quite exciting to watch, but does not appear to have all round skills like Chen Jin or Chen Long at the net or in defence.

For some reason China does not favour such styles but prefers players like Du Peng Yu.Hope he makes it, this type of positive attacking play

is more appealing reminscent of old stars like Yang Yang or young Peter Gade.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sadly, CY was taken out by TMN before he could progress well into the later rounds.
    On the bright side, he has maintained his climb in the rankings; he is now at 86.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It looks like some of the powers at CBA have decided to give CYK an extended run in tournaments, recently.

Since the China Masters in mid-September, CYK has featured in 4 tournaments, and is entered in the Korean Open GPG beginning tomorow. It is interesting that most of the tournaments he is entered in, are in the Asian region, one other was in AUS (April 2011) and one in Russia but none in Europe or the Americas. Is he being groomed as a potential front-liner, finally?

Interestingly, his ranking has slipped from 86 down now to 133. So this spurt in activity could also be an attempt to get his ranking up to a respectable level...

9. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

lol... i'm late. Just realized it.

Name: Chen Yuekun
    Date of birth: 30 Oct 1990
    Place of birth: Hubei, Wuhan
    Height: 182cm

He started to play badminton at the age of 6. In 2006, he is officially a member of Hubei team. He eventually stepped into the national second team in 2009.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Chen Yuekun finally made it to the finals of a GPG all on his own merit, only to be stopped by an uncontrollable freight train called Sony.

Hopefully, he will take some positives from his performance at the Thailand Open last week, and start a serious climb up the rankings.

chenyuekun01.jpg

11. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Most people knew about CYK from the video in which WZM excited fans. Hope CYK's success at Thailand Open prompts WZM to get his act together.

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Anybody be able to tell me how if there is never ending stream of amazing talent waiting to burst through in China, how this guy keeps getting sent to tournaments? Nothing against him just he hasn't really got anything great to show for himself and he has been playing away on tour for 4 years. Is he part of china setup or??

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

It is strange, by Chines standards this guy is not near the level of the other Chinese players. Sure he's had a few good results, but nothing spectacular and he's getting on a bit (by Chinese standards again) 23 this year with no real improvement coming from what I can see...

China are strange, there was a really talented player I spotted called Zhou Wenlong, much stronger than Chen Yuekun in my opinion anyway. But he's not been sent anywhere recently :(

Anyway at the moment, there's no one really coming through the ranks to challenge his place, Xue Song will take some fine tuning before China let him go anywhere, and Tian Houwei is studying as far as I remember...

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

what about players from Cbsl like dong shuai/zhou wenlong and others all look good enough to beat the likes of Ouseph, find it a bit strange at 23 as you said. Guess China talent pool ain't that great then if Yuekun is up there.

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

In fact, just to reiterate what I was saying about Zhou Wenlong in comparing to Chen Yuekun, here's a CBSL match between them (ties been one already hence match is to 11)

http://youtu.be/CMqHJjq-8hM

#15 LD rules!, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    He seems to be better than Chen Yueken. But there may be some other factors which governs the selection option i think. Otherwise, Chen Yueken would not have been given a chance to represent the country in the GPG tournaments .:). Zhou Wenlong is much better in smashes and net area. He need to improve his deception which makes him a wonderful player overall. Thanks for the video.