Back court drop vs slice?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by heyitsericc, Mar 18, 2011.

1. heyitsericc

heyitsericc Regular Member

So my school coach makes me do a suicide everytime I slice the birdie. I slice it from the back court and I find it efficient for me to make a drop to the net. I find it also adds a bit more deceptive compared to just taping it slightly, since that's the hand motion I make for my clears. Maybe I always done the shot, but it works better than taping, at least for me.

Is there that big a difference? If so what? Thanks.

2. druss

druss Regular Member

If you slice the shuttle too much for a drop I find it actually "hangs" in the air longer which give the opponents more time to react. A half slice is good in some situations.

What I've found is that a fast drop shot that is 3-4' from the net is more effective than a slow drop shot 1' from the net.

3. heyitsericc

heyitsericc Regular Member

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply, but I don't really understand the "hanging" part. Do u have a video to show that or something?

4. druss

druss Regular Member

I don't have one but maybe do a search on youtube? Keep in mind that if you slice the shuttle you induce a spin on it, I would think that it would affect the way the shuttle travels through the air and from my point of view, slows it down.