How can i defeat this player?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ambushes, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

All right. I'm going to be facing a guy tomorrow and let's just say i want to win. I don't really care what i have to do, but i want to win.
    I talked to my friend who played him in Mixed Doubles and he said he noticed a few things. (I know mixed is not the same as Singles, but it's still useful.)

1) He likes to respond with cross-court clears.
    2) Smash isn't very good.
    3) Poor net control.

I also saw him play some singles and he seemed overly aggressive. Mostly attempting to attack everything.

Now for my weaknesses.
    1) Footwork to the rear/back of the court. Not terrible, but a push will most likely get me.
    2) Forehand net shots. For some reason my back hand netshots are great but my forehands are.. less great.

Any tips on shots that i should pull? And what's the best way to respond to a cross-court clear? I'm thinking a drop or a smash.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Your netplay is better? Draw him in there and win points as you can. If he makes a tight shot that you need to lift, you say his smash is nothing to fear, so you're okay there too.

Your strategy for his xcourt clears is sensible.... make him move far and fast with straight drop or smashes. This may not be a strategy he will continue for long in singles unless he sees that your footwork is very slow. If your footwork is slow, your best hope is good anticipation, so watch his patterns of play closely at the beginning of the match.

Good luck.

3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    an aggressive guy with a good cross court clear, going against a guy with poor rear court coverage?
    He'll most likely get you in trouble with his clears and be expecting a drop from you.

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    It's probably too late now, but maybe for next time you play...

I agree with everything Fidget says.

Play slower drop shots if he's at the back of the court - he won't be close enough to attack them, and they'll fall tighter to the net, which makes it much harder for him to lift them deep (as he'd have to hit almost vertically). This forces him into playing net shots, which you say is an area where you should be able to beat him.
    If he's really too aggressive, he may even try and kill the slow drop, but he'd likely hit a lot of shots into the net.

Your best reply to his clears would be either a drop or attacking clear (mix them up, and try to be unpredictable). Smashes are not recommended in singles, except to finish off a point (unfortunately, his weak smash is not really something you can easily take advantage of in singles).

(I should just point out that I'm really not a good singles player, so this may or may not be good advice)

Good luck, and let us know how it goes :)

5. Marcel Bijl

Marcel Bijl New Member

Payroll Consultant
    First of all, watch how he responds.
    1 Does he return to base position immediately
    2 or does he wait and see what you are going to do before moving?

In the first case, make him change direction a lot. That will make him tired so you can easier respond to his clears. In the second case, make him run, especially cross court.

1) If all his clears are cross court, try to make him hit cross-court clears in such a way that you don't need to change direction. Example: He drops, you play a high lift straight forward to the back, he plays cross court clear. When you return to base position from the net, you can keep walking in the same direction. Changing direction costs more energy.

Let him play as much cross-court clears as he wants, he'll get tired earlier.

2) He shouldn't get an opportunity to smash. If he does, you need to improve your playing. :)

3) Nice.

1) A push is like a smash: If you let him do that, you need to play more accurate.
    2) You can play nearly all net shots as if you're playing backhand if the birdie is not too close to the ground or close to the right side of your body (if you're right handed)

I like to approach the net with a backhand grip, then most casual players have no clue what you're up to. If he plays a good net shot or a sharp drop and you're quick enough, you can do this:

1 hold your racket with your wrist facing down, as if your playing backhand.
    2 keep your hand at net level or slightly above, and the racket frame slightly below net level
    3 make a stabbing motion, slicing forward as you hit the birdie. Don't use too much force.

If you do it right, the birdie will tumble over the net and it's really hard to respond to that. Maybe you like to practice it first.

Also lots of fun: If you're at the net and all the way in your forehand corner, respond with a backhand gripped cross-court net shot. It's hard to pull off because it goes agains all physical limitations of the human body, but your opponent will expect a straight net shot because of the way you're holding the racket.

6. Marcel Bijl

Marcel Bijl New Member

Payroll Consultant
    First of all, watch how he responds.
    1 Does he return to base position immediately
    2 or does he wait and see what you are going to do before moving?

In the first case, make him change direction a lot. That will make him tired so you can easier respond to his clears. In the second case, make him run, especially cross court.

1) If all his clears are cross court, try to make him hit cross-court clears in such a way that you don't need to change direction. Example: He drops, you play a high lift straight forward to the back, he plays cross court clear. When you return to base position from the net, you can keep walking in the same direction. Changing direction costs more energy.

Let him play as much cross-court clears as he wants, he'll get tired earlier.

2) He shouldn't get an opportunity to smash. If he does, you need to improve your playing. :)

3) Nice.

1) A push is like a smash: If you let him do that, you need to play more accurate.
    2) You can play nearly all net shots as if you're playing backhand if the birdie is not too close to the ground or close to the right side of your body (if you're right handed)

I like to approach the net with a backhand grip, then most casual players have no clue what you're up to. If he plays a good net shot or a sharp drop and you're quick enough, you can do this:

1 hold your racket with your wrist facing down, as if your playing backhand.
    2 keep your hand at net level or slightly above, and the racket frame slightly below net level
    3 make a stabbing motion, slicing forward as you hit the birdie. Don't use too much force.

If you do it right, the birdie will tumble over the net and it's really hard to respond to that. Maybe you like to practice it first.

Also lots of fun: If you're at the net and all the way in your forehand corner, respond with a backhand gripped cross-court net shot. It's hard to pull off because it goes agains all physical limitations of the human body, but your opponent will expect a straight net shot because of the way you're holding the racket.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Ambushes, How did your match go? Don't leave us hanging... we want to hear the post mortem. :)