Bs 10 3u/4u

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Carbotec503, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Carbotec503

Carbotec503 Regular Member

Hi all,

I am deciding on either to buy a 3U or 4U bs10.

Can anyone tell me besides weight, what is the difference between these 2? Power wise? Control?

I'm not a player who can handle heavy racket but I wanna know how different this 4u is from the 3u version, performance wise.

Thanks,
    Jack

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    be aware that the weight difference between a 3U and 4U is not necessarily 5grams. with the same racket model, the likely difference is only 1-2g in order to cross the 85g threshold to become a 3U.

3. Carbotec503

Hi kwun,

Thanks for your reply. So do u recon I should get 4u?

Is the racket power same btwn 3u n 4u?

Does bs10 needs strong arm and advanced level to tame it? Like sw35?

Coz if it's forgiving, I might wan to five 3u a try.

Im more incline towards 4u but just afraid that power is much lesser than.

Thanks for ur advice.

Rgds

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends on your skill level. are you beginner? intermediate advance? do you play tournament? how many years have you played? do you train, etc? without such information, it is hard to recommend.

if you are strong intermediate, then the BS10 is ok. if you are anything under that, consider the BS11 which is similar but more forgiving.

5. Carbotec503

Hi Kwun,

im sort of a beginner with close to half year experience. Which means this racket will not benefit me?

but i have been using med-flex balanced racket, i cant seems to generate much power. just afraid that the BS11 gives me the same problem. thus i am looking to get a heavy head and slightly stiffer than med-flex. read a lot of reviews that BS10 is an all rounder but is stiffer than BS11.

i prefer to play on the net and dropshots from the back. thus i would prefer a racket than give me controls as well as power for baseline clear and occasionally some smashes.

is the BS11 heavy head? my only concern is power from the racket. since you suggested BS11, should i get the 3u or 4u?

Thanks

6. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    if you cannot generate power from mid flex racket
    it would be even harder to generate power from stiff shaft

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what he says.

stiffer rackets won't help you generate power if you cannot even do it in mid-stiffness.

think about it, if it is true, then everyone will be using the stiffest racket and smash like Lin Dan.

in reality, if you use a stiffer racket, you will have even less power as your swing is too slow to bend the shaft of the racket. same applies for string tension. don't go high tension unless you have the power.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no matter how talented you are, someone who has played 1/2 yr is at best a beginner.

in that case, i don't recommend the BS10. the BS10 is a stiff racket that takes more skills to use.

BS11 would be the maximum i would go. get the 3U if you can, the 4U will be too light.

9. Carbotec503

Guys, thanks for ur opinion! That's Wat I wanted to know. Will try to look for the cheapest available bs11 3u. Thanks a lot guys! Really appreciate it.

One more question. Is bs11 heavy head?

10. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
  11. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    What racquet are you currently playing with?

12. Carbotec503

I am using carlton vapor trail tour. Balanced, med flex, 84g unstrung. Just tot of trial and error.

13. awekuda

awekuda Regular Member

Pemukul Bulu
    its 4U racket, maybe one of the factor you couldn't generate ample power. maybe you should try one of your friends 3U racket and see how you perform with it

14. Carbotec503

Hi guys,

In the end I bought bs10 rather than bs11. Lol. We'll see if I can handle tat.

Cheers guys

15. awekuda

awekuda Regular Member

Pemukul Bulu
    all the best bro.. hope you enjoy your new sword...

16. druss

druss Regular Member

There is a beginner that I'm trying to help train up at our club. His major barrier to power is that he does not pronate his forearm and uses the entire arm w/ a semi pan handle grip. It's been a real battle trying to get him to change. The reason I bring this up is because he went from a low/mid end yonex to an AT900T which I thought was too stiff for him. He has even less power now than he did before. He also just bought a VT70 which as a mid flex, even balance racket was much more suitable for his playing style and he get's more power out of it. I basically told him to keep the AT900T in the bag until he fixed his swing.

I use a 4U BS10 sometimes but I've been playing for close to 20 years, 2 years high school, 1 year college and 3 years on the provincial tour. At one point I was playing/training 20 hours a week. The 4U BS10 is still difficult for me to generate power with due to the light weight and stiffness but with my age now I tend to use less smashes and just play smarter with more drops and attacking clears (even in doubles). I still have the hardest smash in my club though (not saying that much since only 1/3 of them ever played competitive).

I wish you the best of luck with the BS10 and if you have trouble with it, keep it and train hard to be able to use it but think about a mid flex head heavy racket to use until you're ready for it.

17. Carbotec503

Hi druss,

Thanks for your advice. Actually that is what I am planning to do. I will try to play with it. If its not suitable for me yet, I will keep it and practice until one day where I can use it. But actually I was more a net/ drop shot player rather than smasher. Just couldn't figure out why I don't like to smash. Hope this racket benefits me in that way and occasionally some smash here n there. What you think?

Rgds

18. druss

druss Regular Member

It is a great control racket due to the stiffness and it's very fast due to the shape of the head but without the power smash you're really limiting yourself if you play a lot of doubles. I think you have a good plan and hopefully you can fully utilize the BS10, if not now then sometime in the future.