Applying the Karakal PU grip... question

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Lindanftw, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Lindanftw

Lindanftw Regular Member

Hey guys before you answer this please watch this video on how some guy does it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pek-bQudjtA

Are you supposed to take the protective plastic and put it on the original grip? He says you can to make it easier to remove but is it completely necessary? And wont that make the grip slippy on the original grip??

Also ive had my yonex super grap on for about a month now - its gone fairly black in the middle and has developed a wrinkle should i change it?

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

if the grip doesn't feel nice anymore, change it. nevermind the colour, it's about how it feels in your hand.

As for the karakal PU, if you don't do something like that than, when you remove that grip later, you will tear of big chunks of the grip underneath it. I recommend wrapping a layer of scotch tape on the original grip. That won't come off every time you change grips, which makes it a lot easier. (A tip, don't wrap it in the same direction as the PU grip, that way you don't yank it off when you change grips)

3. Lindanftw

Lindanftw Regular Member

thanks jerby!

God i just finished putting that grip on.... that was way way way harder than applying the yonex super grap!!!! feels really great and spongy though! btw how do i make sure next time i put on a grip that the little bottom sticky bit doesnt rip a little of my original grip off? when i removed the super grap it all came off easily except the little sitcky bit at the bottom of the racket which damaged the original grip a little bit. On the yonex packaging it doesnt mention putting on the plastic for protection but is that what i need to do next time to make sure it doesnt happen again?

I put the plastic thing on the original grip for this karakal one so hopefully it should be ok for this one.

Thanks again & pls reply asap!

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

just wrap a small piece of scotchtape on the butt end and you won't tear anything off with the tiny sticky end, it's basically the same problem :p
    But if you like the PU grip maybe you should just remove the original grip, but maybe that's just me, but a factory grip plus a PU grip is way to big and spongy in my opinion.

5. Lindanftw

Lindanftw Regular Member

no need for scotch tape i just use the protective tape already on the grip and put that on the original grip like it says in the video

Thanks though!

PS is there any grip out there thats fairly thick, spongy and good/great at absorbing sweat?

6. cycilver

cycilver Regular Member

Student
    RKEP King (G03) grip is awesome. I've used this a few times but have stopped since I like to keep the original grip on my rackets. Another one people have always talked about is the RKEP Nano grip. You might want to search it up on this forum to read more about it but they're both really easy on the wallet =P

7. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    The Karakal PU grip is a base grip. So you're supposed to tear off all of the previous grips, including the stock, and use it as the base layer. If you're using only the Karakal PU grip, meaning you're not putting another overgrip on, you need to apply a layer of something disposable. Electrical tape works best. Scotch also works.

If you hate ripping off a piece of the grip, learn to wrap backwards and upward. The stick bit ends at the cone of your racquet, and attachs to the grip.