An addiction to high tension ?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by LD rules!, Mar 20, 2011.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Hi :)

Recently I have been playing around with string tension. Gradually ibhave increased the tension, and now I am at 28lbs. (BG65)
    Recently I have recieved some factory strung tension rackets (around 23lbs) and I just can't use them at all. Even though they are the same racket, and same grip and very similar BP, the factory strung ones feel lousy, no power, and no control.

All the people at my club think I am crazy with my 28lbs racket, in comparison to their 20-24lbs, but I really like it, I think I have got more power and control, and the feeling is just wonderful.:)

So could this be considered an addiction ? I just don't feel like I can play well with "low tension" anymore.:p

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    For me when you go to 32lbs with NBG98 you don't want to go back down. :D

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

yeah, I am tempted to go higher with the tension to maybe 30lbs (increase of 2lbs each time) but maybe change strings as BG65 can't hold tension to save itself :) maybe try BG70, although I do like 65Ti, just it can be quite slippery. Whats the durability like of NBG98 ?

IMO as long as you have very good technique a higher tension is a good choice :) if I had poor technique then I don't think I could play at this tension.

Next I will try 30lbs:cool: (this addiction could be costly !:p)

4. druss

druss Regular Member

you can't go too high with thin string, even the slightest misshit will break it.

5. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Yes it's an addiction, but more correctly I'd say you've probably got used to high tension. It's like pushing yourself to a certain limit, once you've got used to it then anything lower doesn't feel right.

Like a Ferrari, once driven, you won't like anything slower...

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Careful not to injured yourself. I just recently switch to 30lbs from 28lbs, i now do feel a bit of pain on my elbow. I already stop playing for almost 2 weeks now, but the pain wont go away. Im seeing a doctor this afternoon and get it Xray, hope everything is fine.

7. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I use BG65Ti at 32lbs, it's really good as long as you severely prestretch it. I lend my racquets out a lot and nobody has ever broken a 32lbs BG65Ti, but they broke several NG95.
    The problems with NG95 is that it frays, so it drops tension so you have to eventually cut it out, it gets to a point where it drops too much for me and it is still too tight for my friends.
    I know I'm addicted to high tensions.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

If you like the feel of high tension, you really shouldn't be using bg65 at all.

Try the new bg66um. It's supposed be to excellent in feel and repulsion.
    But at 2-3 lbs than what you use for bg65.

9. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

The main reason you can't play with lower tension now is that your hitting technique has changed [for the better]. At lower tensions the string bed is more flexible and will bend inwards during each hit (the trampoline effect); this is the "repulsion" that most beginning players utilise. Now that you're using higher tensions, the string bed has become less flexible and more "plank-like", as described by the older players. Since the string bed is now, stiff and inflexible you would tend to channel more forearm strength into bending the racquet shaft which is the next flexible part of the racquet (or else if you don't change your hitting technique you won't be able to even clear a shuttle to the doubles service line and will end up with tennis elbow).

If you rewind and play with a looser string tension now, you will still be bending the shaft but at the same moment, the string bed will also flex inwards, thus throwing your timing totally off. This is why players who have gone upwards and familiarised themselves with higher tension never back down.

In my experience, if you end up at 32lbs and above for BG65, even without prestretch, the tension drop on it will be very minimal. I have a number of racquets strung with BG65 at 33lbs constant tension (no prestretch), and the range of tensions they now have 4 months stringing are from 31lbs to 33lbs (i.e. 2lbs drop to no drop at all). On the other hand, I am also trying ZM62 at 28lbs which has a similar stiffness as my high tensioned BG65. But the very obvious difference is the BG65 having a lot more oomph in power and about 10 times the durability than ZM62, all the while having the same feel (stiffness).

If you can use the thicker strings at higher tension, then there is no real [scientific] point to use the thinner strings (BG66UM etc) at a lower tension and try to match the feel. Unless you like the manoeuvrability of the thinner strings and want to sacrifice the power (not repulsion as what a lot of people misunderstand) of the thicker strings such as BG65 for the earlier.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Only problem with using thicker strings at 28-30+ lbs is that you have to start worrying about durability of the racket frame. Not a lot of racket companies eg. Yonex and Victor will cover your warranty at that tension.

If you can get the same feel from a thinner string at lower tension that won't exceed the durability of your racket, then why the need to push tension beyond warranty parameters.

#10 visor, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  11. Blitzzards

No idea what you mean here. Yonex or Victor will not care whether if you use a thin or thick string when you exceed their warranty tension. They won't use any complex method of measuring the string tension of your broken racquet (if there is even such a method); they will just look at your racquet purchase/stringing receipt and judge if you have exceeded their warranty tension.

Can you please define why using a thicker string will push the durability of the racquet frame?

If you are referring to the string biting through the grommet and then the graphite at high tension, then won't the thinner string exert more pressure (which is defined as force exerted over unit area) on the grommets and penetrate more than a thicker string with less pressure exertion even at the same tension (which is the source for the exerted force)?

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    28lbs can be high or not.

bg65@28lbs will drop around 2lbs even without use. i strung one for a client 2 days ago and has been sitting there for 2 days. it already 1.5lbs. by the time it get used it will drop another 2+lbs.

it also depends on the stringer and stringing machine. a 28lbs on crank machine will be lower than 28lbs on a ECP. a 28lbs on a ECP will be lower than someone using the same ECP and strings slowly vs in a hurry.

there are many variables that really make "28lbs" very hard to compare.

13. Blitzzards

I suggest you to double or triple pull each string at "medium speed" whenever you string with BG65. This should stretch BG65 to its maximum stiffness level which is what makes BG65 special :D

It will be too time costing for someone who is stringing for a lot of clients but for some special occasions when you feel the need for BG65 (the actual Yonex recommended "Powerful hard hitter" string), this effort will definitely pay off handsomely. BG65 at higher tensions (31lbs+) is really no match for the thinner strings in terms of powerful hard hitting.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. usually when i string BG65 i pre-stretch more than normal. but still, it will be time consuming to have to wait longer per tensioning.

another string that is worth trying at high tension is BG80. i strung a AT900P with it at 29lbs ECP and the client let me hit a few with it. it felt really very good. feel, feedback and repulsion was awesome. it will maintain tension better than BG65.

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    ;) BG80 used to be your go to string. Have you tried ZM67 at the same tension?

16. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I haven't decided which string I will be using, I quite like BG65 (strangely) but the tension drop is really annoying.:( and I don't think I will use too thin a string, I still have bad memories of the ZM62 @ 24lbs I used last time.

Yeah, I probably have adjusted to a higher tension, anything lower just feels uncontrobable and doesn't feel as good.:)

Btw winstonchan as in MBS ? (My Badminton Store) I was going to be ordering my strings from there :p

I will be careful, the additional increase was purely due to the tension loss that BG65 suffers.

Yeah BG65ti is something I like, if YY could make it a bit less slippery, it would be without a doubt my go to string. (unless I could afford using BG66 at high tension)

I am tempted to try this new string, but I don't think it will be durable enough for me. Might go back to BG80 and try that on another one of my rackets.

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Nope, I have only used BG80, I think I might go for ZM70 next, see what it is like.:)

SW35 is warranted to 30lbs.:)

@kwun, I think the machine my stringer uses is ECP, it's a Babolat one, although not sure what make, so I think the 28lbs is quite a "tight" 28lbs.

@Blitzzards, If it holds tension better @32lbs I am tempted to try it on one of my back up SW35's

#17 LD rules!, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is still the most dependable string in my book.

not that i am going away from it, but lately there are more exciting strings to try and so little badminton time and so few rackets to test them on.