Wrongful Resignation?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by raymond, Mar 21, 2011.

1. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    When you're in the middle of a match, be it a tournament or a practice match, if you find that you're too tired to move (because you already play too many games before), and making tons of errors because of tiredness, is it okay/enough to shake hand with your opponent, apologize and let him know of your condition, and stop after playing 1 game out of a "best 2 out of 3" match? Anything wrong with that?

To me, the answer seems obvious, but then maybe not so. Let me know how you think and I'll share with you more.

2. druss

druss Regular Member

That depends on the level of the tournament. I know that in Tennis you can't do that but not sure of local tournaments for badminton. IMO, you've agreed to play whatever number of games you signed up for and being tired is not an excuse. Only an injury would get you out of paying fines on the ATP tour.

On the other hand, it's not like people have paid to come see you play and you don't have endorsement contracts right? So I don't see the harm either.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I see no problem in resigning early......

I see no problem in resigning early.

In lower tournaments, it happens quite often.

However, in higher tournaments; like the BWF Super Series tournaments, when spectators need to pay to watch, players are expected to entertain them.

And very often, these players will continue to play until they get defeated (not resigned).

4. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Anyone withdrawing without injury is a pansy and has no place in a tournament. They should stick with playing badminton with grandma in their backyards.

5. druss

druss Regular Member

That's a little harsh, while I've never personally dropped out of a tournament for this reason, when I played two events I would definitely be feeling it by the end, especially when they went to 3 games a lot back on the 15 point system.

The other point is that when you get really tired you start to get sloppy and are more prone to injury, I don't think anyone should play to the point of exhaustion and chance a permanent injury just to finish a local tournament. One little mistake like that could affect the quality of the rest of your life.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

In the xd final at AE2011, Sukdet resigned on the matchpoint at 20-9 in game 2 when Ma served to him.
    Instead of attempting to return serve, he just walked towards the net to shake Ma's hand. Needless to say she was completely surprised.

At that point there was a lot of booing and hissing from the crowd. Understandably so as they did not expect to see such a deflated ending.

7. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Suck it up, and endure the 5-10 mins of humiliation while your opponent finishes you off.

If it's an informal game, you shouldn't have started playing in the first place if you were that tired.
    If it's some kind of tournament, quitting would be unfair on other competitors - your opponent would have an easy pass to the next round; in a round-robin format the number of points scored by the loser would affect standings; etc...

8. druss

druss Regular Member

Agreed that in a pro tournament it's unacceptable. On the ATP tour you can actually be fined for "tanking" a game.

As already stated, I don't think anything you've listed above is worth an injury... As a note, I tore my achilles tendon by playing beyond what my body was telling me was my limit. I was exhausted but decided to keep going and "snap", 80-90% of my tendon detached.

9. urameatball

Photographer
    Never test the limits of your body. Never try harder than your comfort level.
    If you're tired, just quit, it's not worth injuring yourself.
    You're not pro, you'll never be pro.
    have a donut, watch some TV.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

So what is it? "Don't be a pansy" or "Never test the limits of your body"?

11. urameatball

Photographer
    first one was my personal opinion.
    second one was sarcasm... and my way of making fun of pansies (again). lol

12. druss

druss Regular Member

No offense but I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're still relatively young....

13. urameatball

Photographer
    or just plain immature :p
    no offense taken.

14. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    There's a lesson to be learned for some of us here. Just because one makes a mistake to take up an offer of a match doesn't mean he needs to make another mistake to endure the whole match.

At top level, and when you've paying audience, I understand. But then, #1 that's your profession, and playing matches is your job. Furthermore, I'm under the impression that they would space out your matches to give you resting time anyhow.

At the lower level, and we're talking about lower level here, I personally don't see anything wrong here, as some of you already pointed out. In this case, my 11+ year-old daughter was asked to play 4 matches against 1 of equal strength, and 3 others of much higher caliber. Needless to say, she needed to run around a lot. And all that 8 games were done in 2 hours. Because there was no pre-announcement of such a "tournament", I arranged her to do some drills and played 4 tough games before this tourney, about 1 hour before it began.

Towards the end of the tournament, she was asked to play another best 2 out of 3. While she's relatively strong physically, I didn't know if she could stand that match, but thought this could be a good mental practice for her. And she didn't say no at that time either. During the first game, I noticed she seemed very tired and mistakes were all over the place. I realized I might have made a mistake; that's, perhaps we shouldn't have played this match at all. I mean, what's she practicing anyway. And she could suffer an injury as a result.

I stopped her and explained to her opponent why we stopped, and let them shake hand. All was fine. Her opponent seemed fine also. That's until the next day. I received a complain that we needed to be responsible to what/how other parents might think ("how come they only played one game"), and that we needed to respect our opponent, as though we did something very dis-respectful.

What do you think?

#14 raymond, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  15. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'm completely baffled by your logic, or lack thereof.

16. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Badminton is a very enjoyable game for those playing it leisurely. If you're a pro, I'm sure you'd have to endure lots of pains and injuries. If you ask a doctor, virtually any medical doctor, he'd tell you to listen to your body. And I don't think one needs to learn any life lesson the hard way. Of course, the choice is yours.

#16 raymond, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  17. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    That's a tough one. At that young age I would say the complaint from the others is a bit much and that it just seems they didn't know the circumstances even though you explained it to your opponent. While it's important to not build up a casual attitude towards tournaments, I think the tournament should understand the circumstances as well as take responsibility for the seeming lack of organization to create a formal draw (not sure what the format was at the tournament, was it elimination brackets or was it round robin?) so that the players and parents know who/when they're playing. And they her to asked play to do an impromptu match at the very end without notice; I'm not sure how organized the tournament directors are but it seems quite lax and too informal.

If she were older, I would tend to agree with the complaints, but seeing as how she's still in middle school, I think they're going too far in their expectations.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I think those people and parents are full of gas. They are irresponsible and not fit to be parents. What exactly would they have done if the positions were reversed? Probably created some drama and accused you of forcing their child to play on!

Dis-respectful????? Where do these people get all that from? CNN?

You did right. Nothing is worth the risk of ruining the health and physical condition of your child. Its not a pro circuit and those fools should stop pretending that the very future of their children depended on the next game. I think you're better off distancing yourself from such mentally challenged people.

19. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    What's wrong with withdrawing or walking over/default if you're tired or injured? The only person losing out is technically yourself, since the opponents are allowed to go into the next round, or take the prize easily. If your opponent is as classy as you think and respect, they should respect that you won't attempt to injure yourself trying to win. I was recently in my club's championship tournament, and I had played 3 matches of 3 setters, and it was already late into the night, before I withdrew myself from the final. I didn't believe I could even defend myself appropriately, or even give my opponent a worthwhile fight, so why bother? The doubles and mixed event starts the next morning (actually about 8 hours after), and wouldn't it be better for both of us to rest? I was the only one that lost out on the final prize, and I didn't mind. I won the doubles the next morning, and had to drop out of mixed from a shoulder injury that actually occurred because of playing 3 hard events. So I don't see a problem with walking over or defaulting.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

raymond, tell those parents to take it up with the "tournament" organizers! ;)

i doubt there were any, as it sounds like just an informal impromptu match...:D