mbs load spreaders

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by monticore, Mar 21, 2011.

1. monticore

monticore Regular Member

if i want to use the load spreader do i need to raise my k supports up , seems like the load spreaders raise the racquet a bit.

cory

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hm... it depends on how you mount your racket. on a suspension mount machine, the 12/6 o'clock supports are meant to be movable and the other support determine how high the racket sits. so unless your machine is designed otherwise, the MBS load spreader will not have any effect.

3. monticore

monticore Regular Member

yes it is 6pt suspensions system, thanks

cory

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I used to use my load spreaders and K-brackets with no problems.

The only issue I can foresee is that the load spreaders will sit on the horizontal rubber pads (if there are any; not all machines have them) at 12/6 and push the racket up by a minuscule amount - I'm talking less than one milimeter - in which case, just remove the pads like I did:).

5. monticore

monticore Regular Member

thanks, i have mostly been doing my own racket (oval) around 22lbs so i haven't used the load spreaders. but thanks for the tips.

cory

6. monticore

monticore Regular Member

thanks mark i removed the pad at 6 and 12 and it sits perfect now , not i find is the spreaders push the 6-12 supports down enough that it interferes with the top cross on certain rackets, do you remove the pad on the mounts as well?

are they worth using if i only use around 22lbs tension

cory

7. tangoturbo

tangoturbo Regular Member

Hi All, Im new to string my own racket, just wonder if the racket load spreader nessessary?
    thanks

8. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    Wouldn't say that they are necessary, but depending on how well designed your machine's 12/6 support posts are they will help prevent damage to the frame of the racket. With my Pro's Pro shuttle express i would get a slightly dented frame at the top as the post was just round metal (was designed with a screw down mount, which i have since ditched for pure suspension) so in that case they're very useful.

Of course, on some rackets (Y joint for instance) you might not be able to use them, and they can get in the way at the top with some that have a very high top cross.

Having said that, for $10 i think they're worth having.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not necessary. but highly recommended.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've never found them necessary at the bottom of the racket, to be honest, and I've only ever seen one racket (a Carlton) that had top-X interference. Depending on how thick your 12/6 billiards are, though, you might see a problem with Yonex Z pattern rackets.

For $10... absolute bargain.

11. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Agree with the others. You don't necessarily need a load spreader. If you did use one it's main use would be for the 12 o'clock position on your racket. For the instance where you have a thick 12 o'clock billiard when stringining rackets with a relatively high cross top you have 3 load spreader solutions:
    1) make your own spreader
    2) reduce the thickness of the MBS spreader
    3) Buy a smaller/thinner load spreader:
    a) Yonex H-Spreader PT-ES544: http://shuttle-house.com/new-cgi/item_cart-en.php?mk=YONEX&hid=PT-ES544
    b) Gosen H-Spreader GM02517: http://shuttle-house.com/new-cgi/item_cart-en.php?mk=GOSEN&hid=GM02517
    C) Gosen Spreader GMHAB (I use this one): http://shuttle-house.com/new-cgi/item_cart-en.php?mk=GOSEN&hid=GMHAB --- yes it only comes in a pack of 4

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I have load spreaders but don't use them on my 6pt crank machine. I find that they get in the way of stringing and also don't seem to spread the load that well. As they are made from rigid plastic, they don't conform to the shape of different racquets so still has "high" spots where load is transferred. I'm sure it does reduce the stress to some extent, but for now I'm doing without them.

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You can glue some overgrip to the mating face, or blue tack, to take up the play. Also makes the cushioning better.

14. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The MBS spreader has definitely been a problem for the top cross on more than a few rackets. It must be my 12 o'clock post is too thick. I've contemplated shaving down the notch in the spreader but I fear making it too weak. Might try it anyway.
    You guys really are a fountain of knowledge!

#14 Fidget, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012