Who makes the call on a possible double hit fault?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by masterblaster99, Mar 23, 2011.

1. masterblaster99

masterblaster99 Regular Member

Hi all,

Quick question for all those that are up on the officiating of this sport.

Who has the ability to call a double hit fault will playing? At the club in which I play, we have always been on honour and normally the team making the double hit will call it...done deal.

I newer memebr of the club has taken it upon himself to call these double hits, even if he is on the otehr team and quite often making an incorrect call. I was playing with him (partners) the other evening and he called a double hit on the other team that even i was sure that it had occurred. But as it was called, we ended up reserving the point.

So I guess my question is who has the responsibility to make this call? Is it anyones call to make?

2. druss

druss Regular Member

in social play it's normally the team making the fault that calls it when it's on their side of the court, at least that's how I've always played

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It's usually the team making the double hit to admit the fault

If without an umpire, it's usually the team making the double hit to admit the fault (and to be honest about it).

The team on the other side of the court may question, but the confirmation should come from the players who committed the fault (especially if the shuttlecock was slightly touched the first time).

4. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

Without an umpire, the honour system is about the only way to go. It could end up with false accusations and arguments otherwise.

Also a double hit by a single player using the head of their racquet with a single stroke is not a fault. (rule 13.3.8)

5. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Without an umpire, then it is the side that hit twice that calls the double hit.

With an umpire, the umpire or the side that hit twice calls the double hit. If the opponent stops the play and calls a double hit and the umpire does not agree, then it is a fault on the opposition who claimed it. (If that made any sense)

6. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

In my opinion anybody who clearly sees a double fault.
    If you cant agree, then call it a let and start again.
    Personally my judgement is clouded by an intensity to win, there are plenty others like me. The oppostion needs to be sharp. I try to be honest but find it hard with subtle situations. If there is an air of uncertaintity then my mind will lend itself to favouring me. If something is clearcut but nobody saw it and it favours the oppostion then this affect is neutralized and I will own up.

7. druss

druss Regular Member

If it's not a tournament then the team gets the benefit of the doubt. Just like if a shuttle goes out but the team on that side didn't see it go out then it's considered in and the other team gets the point. The game is not just about winning, it's about sportsmanship and having fun, especially in social badminton.

I find that those who are too anal about things end up with no playing partners after a time... Getting so worked up over social play defeats the point IMO. I go to have fun, get some exercise and win... in that order. I'm perfectly happy to play a very competitive game and lose as long as both teams are having fun. I would rather lose a hard fought, competitive game with good friends than win one against a team that's too anal.

#7 druss, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  8. badmon

badmon Regular Member

I second that:). In recreational play, when you can go all out, a lose/win doesn't really matter.

9. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

Generally, during club-level games, players go with what the playing rules are set up. In your case, if the opposite team had also a newer member, and the newer member of your team called this, the seniors would act as arbitrators and inform the newies (if there is such a term), Well Chaps, this was (or was not) a double hit. Over here, we let the person call it. Since you (and you) did not know, we replay again. Or something on these lines. Remember also, that some newer and beginner players may not know what a double hit or carry is, and you may have to demonstrate this.

What is the general practice of your club members? Go with that and you cannot be much wrong. If the new comer makes a big deal about laws and stuff, have a quiet word with him/her after the game, or even on court, something on the above lines. In our club games, we do as you did (honour system), play let when someone new did not know. (Now calling the lines in our club games, now that is definitely not from the shot-maker who ended the rally, it is the side who let the shuttle drop on their court.)

#9 2wheels04, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Please define what is a double hit. :)

If you mean when the shuttle slides along the racquet but you have made only one stroke through that motion....

I would say the very polite people of UK and North America have been faulting themselves unnecessarily!

11. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Indeed, this is true when talking about if a hit/stroke is to be considered correct or not. I have started to use this interpretation, but sometimes it isn't that easy to apply, still open for debate.....was it correct according to the rules or was there a "scoop"?

But as I understand it the OP is asking about the situation when (double/mixed) there is a possible touch from one player but the other actually makes the hit. Most of the time this is when the player at the net tries to intercept but misses (or did s(he) touch?) and the player behind makes the shot. Or when the opponets makes a fast drive at the netplayer who can't intercept and tries to avoid the shuttle, relying on the player behind to take it. One particular situation might be when there is an attack on the short serve and the receiver pushes at the (body of) server who tries to block but misses (or touched?) and the partner saves the shuttle.

If it is obvious to everyone that the shuttle was touched twice (loud touching noise and/or change of direction) then I think anyone can make the call. Otherwise I rely on the integrity of myself/ my partner and the opponents to volontarily make the call.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2 types of "Double Hit" faults (adopted by the BWF May 2010)

So, for players who are unsure about the "Double Hit" faults, here are the 2 types of "Double Hit" faults, as mentioned in the Laws of 13.3.8 and 13.3.9 (adopted by the BWF May 2010), namely;

A "Double Hit" fault is one which;

13.3.8 is hit twice in succession by the same player. However, a shuttle hitting the head and the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a "fault";

13.3.9 is hit by a player and the player's partner successively

13. BaoQingWang

BaoQingWang Regular Member

Profesional
    Yes, latest Laws of Badminton have stated clearly on this "Double Hit" fault
    1. if it is friendly match, normally side which made the fault will admit it while the opponent could stop the rally and make enquiry. If there is one side mis-hear the 'double hit' sound or the side not admitting to it, we would normally play a let. That is for my groups here. Cos, when the game is so intense, we might misguided unconsiously :)
    2. if one is playing in the club, i would suggest he/she just follow that particular club's norm. First, one might try to observe how others are playing and learn from them.
    3. if umpire is officiation the match there are few possibilities:
    a. side that made the fault admit to it and stop the rally.
    b. umpire heard the 'double hit' sound and called 'FAULT'. both side will stop the play and umpire will either award point to the opponent or call service over to the opponent. Before umpire calls it or one side admitting to it, the shuttle is still in play. The other opponent should not stop all of sudden and make enquiry. Else, they will lose a point. Sometimes, if the tournament is too noisy with all the cheerings and/or fault happens at the other corner, away from umpire and he/she did not hear the sound, then that is 'too bad'. No FAULTs would called upon and the shuttle is still in play.