Your Smashing Expertise Needed (video)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Hotsauce, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Hotsauce

Hotsauce Regular Member

Software Developer
    So I live in an extremely rural area where it is hard to find someone to play with me, much less instruct me. I have had no coaching whatsoever and, naturally, as a badminton player, I would like to improve.

I'm posting this video on here with hopes that you all can point me in the right direction. I realize that I have a lot to learn and work on, but it would be great if you all could just remind me of some basic fundamentals that I need to be focusing on when I'm practicing my smashes. It really lacks power, and it is a weak point of my game.

Thank you all in advance!

[video=youtube;9Ghl_vUi6Gc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ghl_vUi6Gc[/video]

2. EasonYoon

EasonYoon New Member

the way u hold the racquet

3. visor

visor Regular Member

you start off with a pretty good side on position and you raise your arm high

but you tend to drop the elbow too much and your contact point is probably 1 foot lower than it should be

also make sure you snap pronate your forearm on striking... imagine flinging water drops from your thumb down into the opposite court

for a good video, you should check out thejym's smash video on youtube here:
    grip, pronation, etc explained
    [video=youtube;HNVC5PVJyPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ[/video]

#3 visor, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

ya, how did i miss the panhandle grip!

5. visor

visor Regular Member

also don't forget to read his comments attached to the video, very informative

6. visor

visor Regular Member

one from a very popular coaching series by zhao jianhua

study them carefully and you'll see what is the proper technique

[video=youtube;_KaJTPmuUW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KaJTPmuUW0&feature=related[/video]

7. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    You stand side on which is good start. You get ur left arm up aswell towards the shuttle which is good.

My suggestions: - As soon as the shuttle gets lifted, arms up and in position!! This will make the timing easier. Do not jump as much, its more an advanced technique and u still need to perfect the basics.

U use a panhandle grip. use a basic grip instead (like shaking hands) http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/grips/basic-grip.php

There is no follow through in ur shot so u will be using lot of arm power to generate power and over time ur arm will get sore. When ur hit the shot, you should be twisting into it so that ur right foot def lands well infront of your left foot. This means recovery forwards is so much easier!!

8. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    Too much hopping. Your stance and follow through is really unstable. It should be one smooth action.

Smash follow through should be forwards not backwards.

As far as I can tell, you're swinging your whole arm. That's wrong. There's a definitive moment when as you hit the bird where your forearm turns. That's when you get the nice hard hit sound. You're missing that wrist snap. As you follow through, your motion needs to be full, meaning your arm needs to extend all the way, and because you're smashing, you use a lot of force, so your arm needs to go all the way down to slow else you'll have problems in the future. Right now you just swing the arm.

With a shoulder width+ stance facing sideways, push off and up with your right leg, land on your left leg a foot forward from where your right leg was, and the right leg naturally follows through to balance you. Smashes are attacking, so you need to be moving forward when they're done.

All overhead shots should be like that, just a different angle of contact.

9. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

Guys.
    You all seem to forget about the feet.

Hotsauce: learn some basic ways to move on court( chasse steps, scissorjumps), and correct your grip for starters. These things are very fundamental to being able to hit a proper overhead shot. I'm not saying that this will automaticly produce a good smash, but it will get you alot further than just learning the arm and upper body movements without moving your feet the proper way.

Use google and youtube to figure out what the movements are
    For grips, look at gollums badmintonbible.com, there are some very good explanations on grips there.

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Legendary smashers here. Hope you can learn from them. ;)

[video=youtube;rTRwx95MklM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTRwx95MklM[/video]

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com