'High' Serve - Obsolete?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by allyjack110, Mar 25, 2011.

1. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Hi Guys,

I have a major query regarding the ‘High’ serve.

My question is: When trying to execute a ‘High’ serve during a game of Singles, what part of my opponent’s rear court should I be aiming for? (Please see diagram below).

Serving Court.jpg

Background: I’ve joined a new club where the standard is incredibly high i.e. junior champions and ex-county players etc. I’m 26. Unlike my old previous club(s) though, Singles is a big feature at my new club. I’m naturally a Singles player anyway despite mostly playing doubles in recent years so I’m very glad about this. The thing is I’m rather rusty. As you’ll now, since the introduction of the new scoring system the back-hand low serve is now the common practice amongst the professionals, especially in male Singles. As such, I apply this whenever I play singles. However, my new coach, who was once part of the Scotland squad in his younger days, said to me that I would get on much better if I went back to using the traditional ‘high’ serve, thus forcing my opponent deep into his rear-court. The reasoning behind this, according to him, is that the low serve is only tactically beneficial if you are an elite professional player. To be honest I much prefer using a low serve during singles as I feel very comfortable with it, but following my coach’s advice I’d thought I’d revert back to the traditional ‘high’ serve. Because singles tactics have changed and evolved in recent years I am now unsure precisely where to aim for in my opponents rear court. Obviously I want to push my opponent as far back as possible but am unsure of the precise location. My new coach said I should always try and aim for area marked ‘Point 3’ regardless of what side I am serving from. (See diagram). I tried this for a few games and lost so many points unnecessarily. It leaves very little margin for error as it’s so close to the central line. Also, try and avoid ‘Point 1’ at all costs as “this opens up the angles”, was another tip. I hear others say I should ALWAYS aim for my opponents backhand. As such, that would mean I would have to alternate between Points 1 and 3. Bear in mind I would have to take into consideration whether or not my opponent is left or right-handed. I’d appreciate other people’s thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

#1 allyjack110, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

Spot 3, it is a neutral place, it'll be way harder for your opponent to create dangerous angles, from 1 the cross is very dangerous, so best would be spot 1 IMO. This is just basic, if someone has a really weak overhead for example you should try a flatter service towards his backhand corner. So spot 3 is the majority of the time to play a high service to.

3. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    The high serve is definitely not obsolete - not at club level anyway.
    Generally speaking, you want to serve down the middle (#3). Obviously if your serve isn't that accurate, you can aim slightly wide of that point to give yourself some margin for error (between #2 and #3).
    If your opponent is a real beginner, there's some merit to serving wide (#1) if it's to their backhand side, but it sounds like the players at your club are too good for this to be effective.

The problem with serving wide, is that it "opens up the angles" as your coach put it. If you serve out wide, you have to move out wide yourself, to cover the down-the-line reply. This leaves you very vulnerable to any shot played cross-court.

Just my opinion, and I'm not really much of a singles player...

4. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    My advice would be to use the low serve as you are comfortable with it. Then evolve and alternate with backhand flick serve to the back of the opponent's court. Badminton is not a stale game.

5. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Everything ur coach told you is right. Serving out wide makes cross court and straight shots much more awkward to get. Serving down the middle means ur base is in the middle roughly and his angles are less so the return shud hence be easier but dont be afraid to mix it. I sometimes serve low to the t or high to point 3. Only serve to t if you can get the net reply. I this year have improved my footwork that I can now serve to the T and not be punished for it!! I suppose this all depends on the opponent and their skill also.

Try wot works!! Do few good high clears to number 3 or as sketchy says between 2/3 and see what shots they hit. Be ready for any reply!! and be ready to GO!!!!!!!!!! Even do few low serves to t and see what ur opponent plays. Some people r easy to read. I played a chap last nit and 9/10 with a low serve, he replaying with a net shot. With serves out to 1, more often that not, he played a cross court drop shot. Be prepared for the patterns but also be aware that it cud go anywhere!!!

#5 gingerphil79, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  6. allyjack110

They're very good in fact. I find if I serve 'high' it tends to put me under unecessary pressure as they have such great power and accuracy in their smashes. Serving as close to 'Point 3' makes sense to me as I want to avoid opening up the angles. I'll just need to practice on an empty court with a dozen shuttles.

7. allyjack110

I much prefer to play with a 'low' serve as I feel I perform much better throughout. But like you said I try to alternate it though with a flick serve now and again. My 'low' serve during singles is very different from my doubles serve. In doubles my serve is much more precise and delicate. I also stand as close as possible to the service line. In singles I take a few steps back. If you were performing a 'low' serve in singles where would you aim??? Bear in mind, 'opening up the angles' still apply. I still think I should re-learn how to execuate a high serve in order to confuse my opponent(s).

8. allyjack110

Would you still aim for Point 3 (centrally) if you were serving from the left hand side instead of the right as depicted in the diagram?

9. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

You should for starters but you need to move the short service around a little bit, because otherwise your opponent will see you always serve to the same spot and he will anticipate on it and play a tight netshot every time. So for variation you will need to move it around a little bit.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

The nice thing about singles is that due to the serving courts length the receiver can't stand on the service line due to fear of a flick serve getting behind him. So just like the server, he is 2-3 steps back. I find serving short in singles is very similar to serving short in mixed doubles now.

11. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    For the flick serve, its purpose is different than the high serve in that the flick serve main purpose is to catch the receiver offguard and hence the shuttle passes over opponent's head and the return shot will be either to the net or opens up to being attacked by you. Hence the timing and power of your wrist is very important as this will affect the speed of the shuttle just like during a smash. As for the spot of the target serve, the middle area is still widely used not so much to the very corner of the court as this will take more time for the shuttle to land and also more time for the receiver to return your shot.

12. allyjack110

Druss,

I totally agree with you. I play a lot of mixed doubles also and feel my my singles 'low' serve is very similar to my mixed, simply because I'm standing a few steps further back from the service line. Also, because I'm standing a few steps further back my racket grip is slightly different. I still use my back-hand grip but hold my racket ever so slightly lower down placing my thumb just below the cone. In Men's doubles I have my thumb on the cone. My Wilson K Brave has a handly little rubber grip, similar to the Babolat 'Pilot Sytem', where I can place my thumb for added traction.

13. All But One

All But One Regular Member

Student
    I agree with the above, serve position 3 is best.
    Personally I prefer to use a forehand serve in singles, it gives me more options (the racket is held out to my side to push the waist/lower rib service rule height). Firstly I can generate more height(than backhand serve) to ensure the opponent is stood between the rear doubles/singles service lines when playing their stroke. Second, I can also make the serve more deceptive by occasionally slowing my stroke down and flicking the wrist last second for the high serve, or initial fast stroke slowed down for the short serve. By mixing between long and short I get by fine.
    Good luck with whichever tactic/technique you choose.

14. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    In principle, #3 is ideal. However, check out the top Women's Singles players who still predominately use high serves (e.g. Wang ShiXian), and see where they place their high serves. I believe this topic has previously been discussed here.

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

High serves should be aimed towards the middle (spot #3 on your diagram). However, give yourself enough margin for error so that you (almost) never hit the serve out.

You can read more on this topic on my page about singles serving tactics.