User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Strange "backhand"

http://union.bokecc.com/flash/player...3537DF98F6365E (there will be a 10 sec ad before the video start)

I saw this in a Chinese badminton forum. The girl in the video is hitting the shuttle in a very strange way. Please comment.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

very interesting. it is like a mixture of forehand and backhand.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

isn't that what the "backhand king" uses? guo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's almost like what I do on backhand clears.... I must admit I use a lot of my tennis and squash strokes in badminton....

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    isn't that what the "backhand king" uses? guo
    Yes, that's right; he uses that method sometimes. But what's interesting is that the other girl is hitting the traditional backhand with much more ease!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it would be very hard to hit a shot with that grip if the shuttle is behind you though... or to do a backhand smash with that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very strange indeed :O
    Technically speaking it's a forehand. It doesn't seem like the way forward though - looks like she's putting a lot of effort in, and the shuttle's still falling a foot or two inside the doubles long service line. Plus she doesn't seem to have much control, and I can't imagine how she'd play a shot like that below chest height.
    Surprisingly good consistency though - I doubt I could do two and a half minutes of backhand clears without messing up on a few of them.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Xiong guobao is the one who introduced this stroke. You can see it on YouTube.

Few problems I see with it. Grip changes to and from panhandle during a heated rally are going to be challenging. Also requires a violent not so graceful throwing action of shoulder and arm. IMO the standard backhand with forearm supination produces much more effective power than this stroke, as demonstrated clearly by the other girl in the video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It requires too much effort and time to switch grips like that. Probably impossible to do during faster rallies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this stroke is basically a forehand overhead but with your body turned, and i see a few problem with this stroke:

very little or no control of the shuttle at all, you probably cannot execute a quality drop shot, you can only do high-clears
    wouldn't work when the shuttle has flown past your body, only works when you're behind or in-line with the shuttle
    prone to shoulder and arm injury in constant use of this stroke... and not energy efficient
    Last edited by winstonchan; 03-30-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly confused. Does everyone here think that the shuttle is being struck with the forehand side of the racket (meaning the side we can see most easily when they prepare for the shot)?

Watching in slow motion using my camera, I am fairly convinced she is using the backhand side of the racket face, because it looks to me as if her thumb is pushing from this side (as we look at it). At contact, I can also see the colour of her racket handle (the frame rate of the video doesn't let me see on every swing but certainly of some of them) which would only be possible if it were actually a regular backhand hit (with supination). And afterwards, the follow through is definitely with the palm facing upwards, which to me indicates it was struck after full supination. The reason I tihnk it looks so strange (and not very powerful) is the racket is pointing near horizontal throughout the swing (like a sling shot) rather than being quite vertical, which would give you far more power from supination. If anything I would simply call this a fairly elegant "danish swipe" for those of you who know what I mean by that.

What do people think? Am I wrong? It is hard to tell because the videos frame rate is terrible, and even my camera struggles to pick up the details on every swing, but I am fairly sure its just a low contact on a regular backhand (with a fairly extreme preparation - similar to the great Xiong Guobao).

Matt

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here on this YouTube video, shows Guo hitting backhand distinctly with forehand grip.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At around 7:18 into the video, he shows a slower swing and you can see better.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Using the forehand side of the racket face to do her Clears from her backhand side

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post
    Slightly confused. Does everyone here think that the shuttle is being struck with the forehand side of the racket (meaning the side we can see most easily when they prepare for the shot)?

Watching in slow motion using my camera, I am fairly convinced she is using the backhand side of the racket face, because it looks to me as if her thumb is pushing from this side (as we look at it). At contact, I can also see the colour of her racket handle (the frame rate of the video doesn't let me see on every swing but certainly of some of them) which would only be possible if it were actually a regular backhand hit (with supination). And afterwards, the follow through is definitely with the palm facing upwards, which to me indicates it was struck after full supination. The reason I tihnk it looks so strange (and not very powerful) is the racket is pointing near horizontal throughout the swing (like a sling shot) rather than being quite vertical, which would give you far more power from supination. If anything I would simply call this a fairly elegant "danish swipe" for those of you who know what I mean by that.

What do people think? Am I wrong? It is hard to tell because the videos frame rate is terrible, and even my camera struggles to pick up the details on every swing, but I am fairly sure its just a low contact on a regular backhand (with a fairly extreme preparation - similar to the great Xiong Guobao).

Matt
    Check it again. She was using the forehand side of the racket face to do her Clears from her backhand side. That's why it's so very strange.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post

Matt
    yes. using a forehand grip to hit backhand it not some uncommon. esp when the shuttle is behind your back.

but using the forehand side of the racket to hit it is what is happening in the video. which is very unusual.

that's why i initially says it is a combination of forehand and backhand. backhand body, backhand posture, but the actual hit the wrist is twisted over and the forehand side of the racket face is used.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also note she never hits the bird at, or even close to the highest point, which would allow her opponent a split second more to recover. She's definitely in deep doo-doo after the bird is past her.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow It is a very unusual stroke

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    yes. using a forehand grip to hit backhand it not some uncommon. esp when the shuttle is behind your back.

but using the forehand side of the racket to hit it is what is happening in the video. which is very unusual.

that's why i initially says it is a combination of forehand and backhand. backhand body, backhand posture, but the actual hit the wrist is twisted over and the forehand side of the racket face is used.
    Agree. It is a forehand stroke played when her body is facing away from the net.

It's different from a forehand (around the head) stroke, when the body is facing the net.

IMHO, when this strange "backhand" stroke is played with a forehand method performed with the body not facing the net; it is a very unusual stroke.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast