how to do....HIGH CLEAR?? and reply a high serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by malaysianfreak, Mar 29, 2011.

1. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    halo everyone!
    i will make this short ya~ :D
    1.as the title might suggest ....how to do both a high clear?? all my clears go to the mid court giving my opponent alot of time to attack ...and so does my backhand clear...so how to do a high clear ?? what are the nesscessities?:confused:
    2.and also...replying a high serve....my friends all serve high ...and i am having trouble replaying it ...i use to go for a smash but i think a smash isn't a very good choice since when my opponent defend i have to run a long way...tiring me....so is using a clear better?

thanks in advance!! :D:D

2. visor

visor Regular Member

3. malaysianfreak

student
    ermmm wait i still have 1 doubt ...my grip i used for so long i think is the bevel since i play my arm at at edge of the handle and i think i should put it at the flat side...but...is there a real diff between bevel and basic?

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    The angle is the same as you can see from both pics but the difference is thumb placement. On bevel, thumb is placed up the side of the bevel, whereas basic, the thumb is curled around the grip.

You wil get more power on the forehand if the thumb is curled around (basic) because it easier to tighen the grip for that last bit of power. Grip tightening on impact can generate a fair bit of power!!

5. malaysianfreak

student
    i tried swinging the racket at home using the basic grip but my thumb hurts...according to the guide use the side of your thumb ...and when i swing the racket rubs across my thumb making it rather painful....what am i doing wrong?

6. indrato

indrato Regular Member

First the grip, basic grip is good for many stroke. If you have trouble with basic grip, the easiest way is to ask your friend and ask him to show you. second, hitting technique. you have to relax and hit with acceleration (snap), i mention it because i watch that many beginner hit the birdie with the same speed or little diffrent in speed from ready position to the end of stroke.
    You can also add your body motion to increase your power. You can see that many womens player use it.

7. malaysianfreak

student
    is the snap effect is called tightening of grip?

and is my list for grip for stroke correct ?
    basic grip:smash , clear , drops ...(basic for rear court?)

thumb grip: push , drive(at backhand side ), backhand clear(?)or is bevel grip better for backhand clear? , lifts (at backhand side) , netkill and netplay (at backhand side ) ...used for midcourt best for thumb grip?

panhandle grip: netkill only ....(the only place i find this grip usefull)

bevel grip: backhand clear(?) , netplay , lifts , defence , and netkill (occasionally ) i find this grip rather universal ...good for nearly everything O.O

i just knew that the grip i been using so long for my forehand side is actually a bevel grip rather than a basic grip...so i have to go back to learn the grip for different situation....just realized =( so please help me!

8. indrato

indrato Regular Member

Your list of grip will do just fine, I my self never pay attention to what grip i am using, just using whichever i felt most comfortable.

About the snap, i dont call it tightening of grip, because i dont really do "grip tightening", i dont know about anybody else but some people refer it like that. The stroke more less has to be compact and quick, perhaps like a jab in boxing. This snap thing is about focusing your strength. If your swing is big than you lost power. This is explained in zao jian hua badminton training which you could download from youtube or other site.

9. malaysianfreak

student
    so...the snap is means a fast and compact swing got it!

10. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

hey, i got the same problem as you because i always stand really tight to the service line. USUALLY, when they flick me, i can get a really steep angled smash, and even if its returned, its never a clear back. However, when i met someone that can flick REAL good, i can't get back in time ): I've been told its 1 step, and then a jump but i never do the 1 step or a jump haha. I just move back real quick and lay down the smash. ): How do i practice this? do i just have a friend randomly flick/short serve to me?

11. druss

druss Regular Member

You practice the movement without a shuttle first, do that a few hundred times then practice against real flick serves. I you just try to practice against real flick serves to begin with then you're concentrating too much on hitting the shuttle and not enough on your footwork.

Get the footwork ingrained in your head/muscles first, then practice against the real thing. This is true for any shot.

12. jamesxie63

jamesxie63 Regular Member

agent
    i have the same problem. when my opponent give me a really good high flick, my first reaction is to intercept it, even jump to intercept it. but when i find the bird is too high, the bird has been already behind me. i usually give up. i'd like to know at this moment if i step backward right away, can i still get this bird in time?

13. malaysianfreak

student
    erm i have no probelm with flick serve but with a deep high serve i just don't know what shot to use ....

14. indrato

indrato Regular Member

I have no problem with high serve, infact i use it to my opponent. Ussually i use it to drain stamina and power from my opponent because they often reply it with smash. When my opponent use high serve, i just drop it to the net or clear it to the back line. Some times i smash it but that just for variation not for killing, because i know that it will almost always get back to me.

15. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    A good deep high serve is very difficult to smash, as you are likely to strike the feathers on contact, so a clear is probably a good choice. A good half smash may be less tiring and give you more time to recover afterwards however?

If your clear is not going to the back of the court, all I can recommend is practice: it sounds like you are lacking proper use of your strength which is gained by good co-ordination with excellent technique. The grip is probably the MOST important part of a technique if you are looking for quality. Do not use that bevel grip for forehand overhead shots. Do as gingerphil suggested: use a basic grip instead (where the thumb is curled around the handle).

And to everyone struggling with flick serves:
    An excellent footwork pattern to try, is to make the first step very very small and with both feet at once (in badminton bible terms probably called a "hitch"). They are used extensively in the coaching by Lee Jae Bok. This does not require you to move your body weight to get moving (unlike a step) which is very slow. The feet will remain equal distance apart, and the "step" is made mostly with the ankles and calves. Now you are moving (and quickly) you can use whatever footwork you like. Whilst executing this step, and actually whilst you stand ready to receive serve, both legs should be bent, preparing your legs to move explosively. Either chassee and scissor/block jump or, my personal favourite, use ANOTHER of those tiny little steps followed by a large jump, will get you to the back of the service box easily.

This is the best and easiest footwork I have seen for receiving flick serves, and it all hinges on that tiny step at the beginning which just gets us going quickly. Once you are going, you can intercept it immediately with a jump, or move further back and play the shot a bit later.

Matt

16. malaysianfreak

student
    clear for high serves...yea i think thats the best ...=) still i cant seem to find the difference in bevel and basic ...the way of gripping feels nearly the same and i don't feel any change of muscle movement during a stroke in this 2 grips...so what makes the basic grip better than the bevel grip?

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    kacau kacau... can you watch more videos of your hero? See how he does it. It should help. ;)

18. malaysianfreak

student
    haha ~ nver seen my hero reply high serve so nee ask

19. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    They do not feel astoundingly different. Gingerphil said it earlier: the difference is that the bevel grip has the thumb resting directly on the small diagonal bevel, and the basic grip has the thumb resting on the wide bevel instead (wrapped further around the handle, not pointing upwards, but across). You should find, once you get used to it, that you are able to generate more power more comfortably using the basic grip over the bevel grip. They are very very similar, but again: when you are able to hit with greater power, you should feel the difference. The bevel grip will probably feel slightly less powerful, and slightly more awkward.

Matt

20. malaysianfreak

student
    just had an 8 hours weekly game and the basic grip feels better during the rear court and fail to excel in the mid and front court but nonetheless it is priceless to learn something new ...but still ...is it a must to do a scissors kick to generate enough power for a clear?