Pain in uncommon spot between lower leg calf and above ankle

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Sui-MY, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Sui-MY

Sui-MY Regular Member

Badmintoner
    Duration: 1 month plus

Painful when: Running, jumping, touched, basicly when its under pressure (Walking is fine)

How it happened: I think it appeared slowly and been lingering ever since

Possible cause (My thought): Unreliable stock shoe insole + overused due to non-stop sessions + improper footwork

Started to play badminton since: 1 year

Badminton sessions per week: 4-6 (each session consisted game time of average 1.5 to 2 hours), already cut down to 2-3 sessions ever since I noticed this pain

Shoe: Mizuno Wave Smash Wide, with stock insole, this is when the pain came after wearing the shoes for 2-3 months. I've worn low-end Yonex shoes along with stock insole as well before but I did not get any kind of leg problem

Court: Mostly played on rubber mat (2-3 times a week), sometimes on parquet (Once a week) and very rare once a week on cement (I've cut out that cement session completely)

Self-treatment taken: Resting up to a week, consuming anti-inflammatory pills, applying counter-pain creams, applying heat and massage to affected area, changing shoes insole to gel shock absorbing type

Current condition: Still painful when touched, redness and slight swelling can be seen, but not as painful to the point of unplayable as before changing the insoles, the pain was greatly reduced ever since I've changed the insoles, so I still play badminton occasionally, just not that hardcore lunging here and there since I can still feel it restricting my usual hard stomping movement, I can't retreat to back of the court as fast as before as this move is affected most by the pain spot (sligh discomfort)

Since all the self-treatment options failed me, I've finally went for orthopaedic consultation, the doctor couldn't say what is wrong with my lower leg, he sent me for X-ray imaging, nothing wrong with the results, he said it could be one of my tendons, the only way to know it is going for MRI scan which I'm scheduled for next. He did not mention anything about shin splint or overused sports injury which I thought it was, since if it was overused, both legs will be in the same condition?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Stock insole

[​IMG]
    Shoe & insole replacement

[​IMG]
    No sign of fracture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a mystery which I'm curious to know why it lingered for so long while waiting for the MRI scan in 5 days. I've experienced all kind of pains before like shoulder pain, wrist pain, arm pain, knees pain, but they all dissapeared within a few days, except for this one

I know stopping badminton completely for long period is the best thing to do in the meanwhile, but lets see whats inside first

Any explainations, thoughts, comments, advices are welcomed

#1 Sui-MY, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

Doubt if the MRI is going to help diagnosis and treatment.

Looks like simply soft tissue strain from overuse or overpronation of your foot.

Ice it, not heat it! It's already inflammed, heat will worsen it.

I would suggest, if icing doesn't fully help recover, that you seek topical chinese herbal meds to apply on the area.

3. Sui-MY

Sui-MY Regular Member

Badmintoner
    Hmm I thought ice is only effective when it first happened until the next 48-72 hours
    Since I ignored the early treatment options, I went for heat instead, isnt heat is promoted to bring more blood to the affected area for healing? from some articles I've read

I have an ice pack in the fridge, guess I could try it, do I do it before & after games or just few times at home?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

But if it's warm, red, swollen and tender, it's inflammed. And anything that is inflammed responds well to ice.

I'd say ice it 10-15 minutes 4x per day for 1-2 days and see what results you get.

5. Sui-MY

Sui-MY Regular Member

Badmintoner
    alright thanks

I googled overpronation and did a wet foot test

This is my result
    [​IMG]

How Can I tell if I Overpronate?

• Firstly, look at your feet in standing, have you got a clear arch on the inside of the foot? If there is not an arch and the innermost part of the sole touches the floor, then your feet are overpronated.
    • Secondly, look at your running shoes. If they are worn on the inside of the sole in particular, then pronation may be a problem for you
    • Thirdly, try the wet foot test. Wet your feet and walk along a section of paving and look at the footprints you leave. A normal foot will leave a print of the heel, connected to the forefoot by a strip approximately half the width of the foot on the outside of the sole. If you’re feet are pronated there may be little distinction between the rear and forefoot, shown opposite
    [​IMG]

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/general/pronate.htm

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    kl got lots of acupuncture. google for master chia. ;) Hope this helps. ;)

If cannot, potong and get a bionic leg.. lol. ;)

7. visor

visor Regular Member

So how'd icing work?

8. Sui-MY

Sui-MY Regular Member

Badmintoner
    i am not sure if its helping, but the pain is almost gone during game nowadays, i can feel that i am regaining most of the flexibility back without the pain-caused lag
    in addition, i've started to wear ankle guard along with socks

maybe the icing does assist in my self recovery mode, the redness has been decreased as well, however the decreased pain is still there when poked
    still wrapping my lower leg with cold pack for bout 20 minutes each time 2-3 times daily

9. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Just to get something clear, does it hurt when you touch the bone or the muscle?

If it hurts when you touch the bone it might be a shin splint as it hurts when you put pressure on your leg, as you mentioned in your "Painful when:" part. I massage the muscle behind the bone and it relieves pain temporarily although I don't know the long term effects of this self-treatment.

Basically, you take your fingers and rub or apply pressure in a downwards motion from the painful area but make sure not to touch the bone. The main reason being you may feel the pain, not that it will hinder the massage. From that, you go back the other way and almost push the calf muscle over the bone. Keep doing this for about 15-30 minutes.

10. Sui-MY

Sui-MY Regular Member

Badmintoner
    i think its probably tendon
    whatever it is, the pain is almost completely gone since i dont feel any pain during intense match
    i've stopped treating it as well, except icing it for couple of minutes when i am not lazy