Please help recommend a racket for intermediate doubles player (MD and XD)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by badmoon, Mar 31, 2011.

1. badmoon

badmoon New Member

Hello BC!

Newbie poster here, been reading quite a lot the past week and find this site very helpful from equipment review to technique and strategy! Now I am looking for a new racket, the main reason is the old racket from high school is old and all chipped up and I think its time for an upgrade.

-my current racket: ISO Swing power 500 long sx; bg65@21
    -I play twice a week, about 2 to 3 hours each session
    -I play mainly doubles, MD and XD
    -spend my time evenly in the front and back, a lot of atk/def transitions
    -more of an arm player than wrist
    -I find my current racket lacks punch/pop (I am guessing to do with string tension?)
    -Willing to spend time to adjust/adapt to new racket
    -I would like a racket with: similar weight (88g) or lighter, more power, not too flex-y, bigger sweetspot would be nice but not necessary, durability a must
    -I am open to all brands, so please suggest and recommend string settings as well!

cheers and thanks!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the SX is a pretty heavy headed racket.

you didn't specify a price range. the suggestions will be rather open. something that is a slight improvement in speed than the 500SX would be ArcSaber 10 which is a very dependable all rounded racket, with a moderate balance, good control and feel, and decent power. it is one of my favorite rackets.

3. badmoon

badmoon New Member

whoops... price isn't really a factor, i figure if i can get a few years of life out of the racket it'll even out in the long run, that's why I am also looking for some good durability in the racket. I will check out the arc10 and search for some comparable rackets as well.
    Didn't know the SX was heavy headed... must have gotten used to it over the years.

thanks again!

of course, I'm open to other suggestions as well :D

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    how about
    VT80, MX80, SW35
    many people talk about these rackets
    all of the stiff and head heavy