hiting the post

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kevin, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Kevin

Kevin Regular Member

webmaster
    this weekend, I played a tournament (IZBA) and in the mixed doubles, my opponent played a cross drop inside the field, after having it hit the post. The referee awarded the point to my opponents while the post is 5 centimeters outside of the field. As far as I know, this isn't a valid point, or is it?
    a few months ago, I read a topic about this, but that one claimed otherwise, so who is right?
    because if this point is valid, you should be able to hit the roof as well, because this uses the same principle.

thnx Kevin

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

if the bird hit that post, wouldn't it have travelled out of bounds? I don't see how they could win a rally for hitting outside of the court, post or not.

3. Kevin

Kevin Regular Member

webmaster
    the shuttle hit the post and bounched 15cm backwards so landed inside the court on our side.

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Re: Re: hiting the post

Exactly what I thought when he first posted. But I guess I got some time to think about it since I showered and came up with what if they are smashing down the line from doubles and then they hit the post or they accidently hit the bird when it was out and it hits the post and it's suppose to go in?

5. ronk

ronk Regular Member

If a player hits from outside the court and around the post into the opponents' court, the shot is in even if the bird is clearly below the net. While excuting this stroke and it brushes the post, I guess it will still be a legal shot. I believe the referee is correct in the decision.

Ron

6. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

If it brushes the net on the way in, i guess it could be treated the same as if a shot skims/bounces off the tape of the net. What about if they hit the post from inside such that the shot would have gone out but is instead reflected back inside by the post? That should be a illegal right

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    The tournament will have their definition of what is considered net posts. The laws of badminton specfiiy that the net posts are installed on the doubles lines and that the net is firmly secured to the post, preventing any gaps between the net and the post.

Hitting the post and subsequently going over the net and falling on the receiving side is not a fault and is still considered in play.

The problem with this is in most community arenas the net posts tend to be located away from the doubles lines. I have also had the unfortunate call that a hit to such a post almost 1 foot away is considered still in play.

But like any obstructions that are arena dependent, this situation must also be clearly stated at the beginning of the tournament so that there is no misunderstanding.

Also, BTW, the netpost is also not to exceed the height of the net, and most of the standard gym posts are multi-sport and can be as high as a volleyball height. I had players hit the top of a volleyball height post, and still call it in!

So if you are playing in a non-standard gym (in your opinion) it is always in your best interest to clarify the pecularities.

8. Kevin

Kevin Regular Member

webmaster
    oki thnx guys :)

9. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    What if the shuttle hits the light (high up), and it falls INSIDE the court? The lights are definitely located outside the court.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree.

This club I played is in a high school gym. Above one of the court (right above double line), there's a none removeable basketball board. Therefore, once a while, someone will be in an agrument about the "bouncing on the backboard" shot. Most of the time, we will claim it's a fault, since the shot was taking from inside, and the bird will be surely way out of bound if no block from the board. However, if someone was attempting a high clear from the side, and hit the side of the board, we will treat it as a "let".

It's really down the the players / judge to make the call.

11. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    This is an obstruction that is a limitation of the particular gym. It is up to the officials to define at the beginning of the tournament or match what are the conditions if hitting that light. Most of the time any pecular obstacles connected to the ceiling or wall that invades the open space of the court is considered a fault, or if there is an unfair advantage of one side to the other - a let, and sometimes in very rare instances - keep playing.

But whatever the rules are, they have to be consistent so that there are no misunderstanding from match to match. If one group of players played to one rule, and another group playing had different rules, when the two groups mix, there will be confusion initially as to which they will accept... Unfortunately sometimes with human nature we forget to say something about it, until it happens and both sides are arguing, when an official has to come clarify it. But a good official should immediately call this to the attention of the entire gym so that after this point there should be no confusion.

#11 badrad, Apr 16, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2003
  12. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    An example of a funny double standard condition we had at one small gym we used to play was a solid ceiling beam that ran the lengtj of the court right down the middle.

Since the beam was always there and unfortunately thick enough that it was an annoyance we had agreed on two rules to play the beam. If the shuttle hit the bottom of the beam, it was a fault. If the shuttle hit the side and glanced off it was considered still in play. The reason why we decided to keep playing if it glanced the side was that it would be so often that we would hit it, that we would be constantly be replaying or getting faulted nearly each and every play.

13. Mr.Hoot

Mr.Hoot Regular Member

I know what you all mean

Some of the gyms that I play at have basketball nets that can't be removed so they can be a constant niusance. That is why for tourneys and such we play in gyms with really high ceilings so that if the net is ever hit it is called a fault.

As for the netpost shots I have heard that they are always considered in play if it hits the post and travels to the opponents side of the court since it is considered part of the net. I am not sure how all of you feel on this but it makes sense to me. I have never had that happen to me though.

14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    It had one time occur in a match playing at a school gym - the posts were double sided volleyball height, so picture a tall center pole with braces reaching the top of the post on either side of the post. this forms an triangle with the center post down the middle. this post was nearly 2 feet away from the doubles side line.

during play the shuttle past through the far side of the post, hitting the opposite side support brace, richocets and flies back into our court. I continued playing it, but my partner stopped as did one partner on the other side. i played on against the other opponent who did not stop, until the two standing partners finally brokes us apart as a let.

so the argument actually turned out not to be between the teams, but between each partner. I yelled at my partner for calling the let, as did the other team. we finally agreed to play a let but not without a mess and getting an official over to get us to play nice with each others partner.

But still this needs to be clarified, I mention that now during tournaments or league matches at our school, that the posts will not be consider part of the court due to their distance from the doubles line.