Losing pattern - winning first, losing second and third

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Yokel, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Yokel

Yokel Regular Member

University Lecturer
    Our team plays in a local league. The team consists of 4 men and 4 ladies, playing 4 mixed doubles and 4 level doubles. When playing against a team of a similar strength, many pairs of the team often lose with the following pattern: winning the first game but losing the second and third.

What are the causes (psychological? tactical?) and possible remedies for this losing pattern? Paul Stewart has written an article discussing this phenomenon, but I'd like to hear more analysis from the other badders.

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Winning first fives a psychological edge as usual. ;)

3. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    You must know why you're losing games.

I mean, compared to the first game, are you:

Slower; less energetic?
    - You have need to work on your fitness.
    Try playing more aggressively, to keep points shorter.

Making more unforced errors?
    - You are losing concentration; you crack under pressure.
    I think this just comes with being English...

Playing the same or better?
    - Your opponents are just plain better than you, but slow starters.
    Try playing more aggressively, to keep points shorter - longer rallies favour the better pair.
    - They started to anticipate/adapt to a particular tactic which they initially hadn't been prepared for.
    Stop doing it, and try something new instead.

Look at it from your opponents' point of view - why are they in a pattern of always losing the first game and winning the next two? What are they doing differently?

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

5. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

Are they employing the same tactics but are being read by their opponents in the later games?

6. Yokel

Yokel Regular Member

University Lecturer
    Thanks for the analysis and advice, especially Sketchy. I should point out that half of the team are young players. A teenager pair can beat other teenagers easily but find playing against slower old people particularly difficult.

I have played a few league matches and have experiences in both giving and reciving sides of this particular losing pattern. Once I won the first game because the opponents were not properly warmed up. But they won the next two mainly because they were better players. Once I lost the first game but managed to win the next two by changing the tactics.

I think so. Youngsters seem to be unable to change their tactics because of lack of experience. Any advice for them?

7. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

I am by no means experienced (only play 1 or 2 times a week socially) but I have looked at as much youtube/downloads as I can to watch technique and tactics. I find myself watching footwork and movement more than the games... It might be that if one of your more experienced palyers can talk to them, they may take this little bit of coaching on board. That said in the heat of battle old habits come back to bite.. There are a good series of tutition vids on youtube from a couple of chinese players that I find very useful..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgfhXZXO80s

8. Yokel

Yokel Regular Member

University Lecturer
    Thanks. As my level of play is no better than the young players, I don't think it's wise for me to give them any advice. I do encourge them during the matches. Your comments on footwork are spot on. BTW, the male Chinese player in the videos was a world champion in the late 1980s and early 1990s. He is considered by many people as an all-time great in a par with Lin Dan.

9. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

One mistake that is common in juniors is overly-aggressive & 1-dimensional shot selection. They may be winning the first game because the opposition haven't got used to the conditions. However, by the end of the first game, an experienced pair will have altered tactics. I would advise them to concentraite on hitting 'good' rather than 'hard' shots. The steepness of a smash is just as important as raw pace.

Another problem that affects all players is 'winning-line fever'. The closer you are to winning, the more you start to say to yourself: "You really should win this one". Without realising, you have just put extra pressure on yourself, which leads to tension, which leads to mistakes, which leads to more pressure etc. With the new (i.e. shorter) scoring system, I've seen people throw away 21-15, 12-5 positions. To counter this, I focus on the next point rather than dwell on the last one. A couple of times, I've pretended that we're playing to 100 points, which takes a bit of the pressure off.

10. Yokel

Yokel Regular Member

University Lecturer
    Thanks, L&L. You made two very good points - in fact, I think they are probably the most common causes of the syndrome. Junior players are often less tactics conscious (varying pace etc.). But I am not worried about it. They will pick up the tips with more experience. The second advice is particuarly useful. I sometimes experience this problem - just cannot cross the line. Not very often though, as leading and winning are not that often for me :)