Star Sports in the US?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by shamoon, Apr 16, 2003.

1. shamoon

shamoon Regular Member

Claims Account Executive
    Re: Star Sport Channel

Hi:

Can you please tell me how do I get "STAR SPORT CHANNEL" in USA. Which cable or satellite company has this channel.

I live in Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

Can you e-mail me at: Shamoon.Khandia@ucop.edu

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    shamoon,

you cannot. period. no satellite nor cable in the US carries it. that's sucks. but that's life, unfortunately... :(

3. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    Star in Europe?

What about Europe? Can it be received in Czech republic by satellite???

4. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    StarSports

I've gone thru the same thing you're experiencing now about subscription to StarSports channel. I even wrote inquiry to StarTV, the parent company of StarSports in Hong Kong, about US getting StarSports channel.
    StarTV does not have the territorial right in US so the only way to get the StarSports is thru your local cable/satellite provider by petition. I did just that with AT&T cable and was told I have to get enough subscribers to sign the petition in order to be considered. So. there is a way but not an easy one unless you can find OCBC or related big badminton associations to gather enough signatures for petition which I failed miserably in San Jose. People in US complians about no badminton on TV but fails to acknowledge the lack of effort in getting it.
    Now, you know the whole story ... ?

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You could try asking highschool coaches and players to sign the petition. And maybe going to open gyms in the bay area.

6. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    See, that is what I was saying, everyone has suggestion but wants someone else to do it :) For sure, I wou't the one who lead this effort. You sure can try.

7. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

maybe we can try to make a group, instead of just one person doing it. Like cover different regions. I can cover San Jose, such as my school and the other schools i play. There's also league finals and ccs which is held at my school. Other schools will be there so i think i can do that too. Kwun can probably cover San Francisco. And you can cover any other place you want. I say first start off by making a lay out of how you want the petition paper to look like and send me the file so i can print it out or something and start getting signatures. Does that help? :)

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Petitioner has to be cable subscriber

All the names in the petition have to be the subsribers of cable/satellite TV. So, it's not purely number of students/coaches you can find and sign. The cable company told me the best way to do petition is to write a note in your monthly statement before you mail the payment(to ensure you're their customer)which I did and AT&T did call me about my request. I had asked nemerous friend who had cable at home to do the same thing but the number is still very small. This is not something we can just click and go, it really takes a lot of effort to find the subscribers and organize so we all can push at the same time. Time is what I do not have with kids to take care hence I have to decline taking this task into my hands. However, I am more than willingly to put a request note in my monthly payment when the "push" time arrives and inform all my friends again to do the same thing.
    You should start by calling your local cable company to make sure the request
    Take care !