China Badminton Super Disappointment League 2011

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by coolcut55, Apr 12, 2011.

1. coolcut55

coolcut55 Regular Member

Is there anyone else as disappointed in the League as I am?

China, the home of such badminton greatness, should be able to host the best badminton league in the world. In addition to the great Chinese players the Guangzhou Club has hired some of the best including Lee Chong Wei, Koo Kien Keat and Taufik Hidayat(world number 3). All this is a perfect set for badminton fans and sponsors. It’s very unfortunate however that the top players of the clubs avoid each other. For instance Lin Dan, Chen Jin and Fu Haifeng have all missed headline matches against their top competitors. Without these headline matches not only are the fans are disappointed, but the sponsors that pay for league matches lose out too. Also, it’s sad to see the Guangzhou Club, who did their part to entice fans by importing players, does not get the chance to see Lee Chong Wei and Koo Kien Keat compete against players there own level.

I’m afraid that something that could have been very good for the badminton world seems to be becoming more and more of a joke. I hope I'm wrong.

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

It kinda reminds me of past rock stars appearing on TV shows, they lyp-sync but no one seems to mind.

I wonder if the fans really want to SEE the pop stars on the screen or do they really appreciate LIVE music?

Are they all hero-worshippers, or connoiseurs or nationalistic fanatics (definitely not the latter).To which category do China fans belong to?

Is the league serious badminton or a Mardi Gras?

To each his/her own.

3. InvinKoh

InvinKoh Regular Member

There's nothing official on this but just my own thought. I believe probably another manipulation from LYB as he wouldn't want these people who are close to/ on par with his best player get to play too often with his players and hence know each other weakness better. And as China has been always a communism country, they has been taught to be obey their superior and put the national interest as the top priority as compare to their own interest/ contribution to the sports worldwide.

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

"put the national interest as the top priority as compare to their own interest/ contribution to the sports worldwide."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to to put it like that it can be misinterpreted that China people are all rascals

whilst the rest of the world are angels. it can be interpreted as the rest of the world promote sports except China who only promote themselves.

I know though what you mean but I doubt China is the only one doing that.

5. datuklow

datuklow Regular Member

Student
    by the way, is the china badminton leauge matches available in malaysian tv? please pm me the channel and timetable if available. Thanks!

6. InvinKoh

InvinKoh Regular Member

I agree that not the rest of the world are angels, it is just that China, especially LYB has been practicing it openly and at much biggest scale than anyone else in the world

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1AhOhbVFVY

Watch the above ,hope you understand huayu, then you will understand how Communists promote sports,

friendship first, ping pong diplomacy.

That is all the past, now its Western style grab and winner takes all, countries can promote sports when the sports are not Olympic Sports,

but just everyone becomes very selfish when Olympics medals are at stake. It may not be just LYB who wants the Olympic medals,

he has many bosses to answer to. So there is a bigger picture involved.

China athletes perform very well when national pride is at stake such as Thomas Cup

or Olympics,not minor tournaments, team before individual. Even British athletes such as Nathan Robertson will tell you that badminton is a team sport.

#7 Bbn, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  8. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

not really...

look at the international competition rules, BWF only accepts entries submitted via national associations (correct me if I am wrong)... team sports behaviour even its sports governing body!!!

talking about LYB's manipulation and afraid of their oppenents gain from playing with Chinese players more is no-brainer... look at their table tennis league and Chinese players' performance... the league just makes them even stronger as the vivid earnings attracted more elite athletes to join the table tennis sports...

do you know the table tennis players earn at least 10 times than badminton players in general now in China because of the league?? this is the original reason when badminton was desparate to set up a league.. competition for sports survival and good atheletes...

relax... just treat this China Super League as exhibition league la...

9. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    I thought the whole point of the league was the raise the competitive level of Badminton in China. Has anyone stopped to think that by having high level players playing against lower level players in China, that China's competitive level might rise? What's to gain from equal or all high level players playing each other in league matches? Other than the sponsors and money, which is what the world revolves in. But the whole protecting players thing by LYB is merely speculation unless you get it right out of his mouth. Until that happens, I think having high quality players playing against China's B/C level players will help with those player's individual developments, and raise the competitive level. And that's what that league is about thoroughly. National/International players playing against provincial players, etc etc.

10. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Lyb has in the past confessed to such protecting of players or match fixing or whatever one wants to call it.

I think there are threads somewhere in bc :D

11. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    I've seen the match fixing one, but protecting players as a thing, I haven't seen. Plausable, but seems more to do with wanting to win with match fixing, than protecting a player's fragile mental state, and not allowing people to figure them out. Either way, at least to me anyways =], it seems more plausable that having higher level players from elsewhere, or domestic national players playing their lower level players will help them create competitiveness, and an overall stronger team. THAT is the evil plan ;)

12. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    You should browse through bc threads more often,

especially the top china players thread :D

I don't want to raise these issues here as it could be messy :D

13. coolcut55

coolcut55 Regular Member

I think the way to solve the biggest problem that everyone is pointing out is to exclude Chinese players under government contract. They are some of the best, but there is a conflict of business interest. The biggest power of the league will be the ability to promote previously unknown players or to include outside already known players, like Lee Chong Wei. I guarantee that if the CBSL selects players that have trained outside government contract their business interests will be aligned with the CBSL and you won't see them back down from fights with the other top players, which means they can make more money off them. A combination of the CBSL promoting top level outside players and privately trained inside players, loyal to the CBSL, would be the best for spectators and marketers alike. It's not impossible to think that the next badminton super star, may not be a government bread hero and that makes the CBSL exciting!

14. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Is there anything/anyone in China not under government control? :confused:

15. coolcut55

coolcut55 Regular Member

The Chinese people themselves are very entrepreneurial. Yu Guangzhou Club made contracts with LCW, TH and KKK which are not Chinese government contracts. Also, the government overlooks players they didn't personally train themselves. This makes a huge opportunity for the CBSL to promote one of the "overlooked" players.

#15 coolcut55, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  16. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    You have a point here. Plus, China is considered more capitalist than a lot of capitalist countries :p

I guess I was thinking that you can't make it to badminton glory in China without somehow becoming affiliated with the government, just like in Romania in Communist times.

17. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    I'm agree.. Not wondered if their (China) President not interested/ concern for chance team China badminton in Asian Games last year.

18. sunny110

sunny110 Regular Member

They do must have their reasons, why should I guess it

19. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    i am not dissapointed as its meet the goal for china ...and everyone so its win-win

china import players to gain...
    1)money from sponsors n sell more of their goods n tickets
    2)import players r not mean to meet with top china players like LD, BCL bcoz LYB is using import player to allow young potential china players to gain exposure n more as sparring for them to bring up their levels...

import players like LCW, hidayat comes to gain..
    1)money n more money from existing income from tournament n salary
    2)there no other better sparring partner at their own country who capable to keep up with their physical/tactical level so by joining CBSL this would helps a lots...
    who from BAM can be a good sparring partner for LCW? hafiz? WCH? well there no one so what BAM do? BAM put 2 or 3 youngster sparring with LCW for day in day out!!
    so why not LCW join CBSL n gain that extra tactical master game to learn more on how china players think during their match...this improve confident when facing LD later on..