Strings just snapped, looking for advice for new strings.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Quelray, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Quelray

Quelray Regular Member

Highschool
    Picked up a racquet for the first time 2 years ago... 2 weeks ago, I learned the proper clear and smash technique.. forearm pronation. I used to keep slicing it, but when I started hitting it on the sweet spot I got those clear and crisp responses from the racquet. But my strings just broke tonight after 1 hour and 45 minutes of just clears and smashes.

Racquet: Armortec 250, stiff shaft, 3UG4. 20-25 lbs recommended tension.

The only thing I've changed about the racquet is the addition of a BK Aerosensa overgrip. The strings are still factory standard.. which I'm guessing is BG 65 (not sure, someone please correct me if I'm wrong)?

Now I'm wondering why they snapped, is it because of the string tension? Is it too high or too low, because after I started clearing and smashing properly, I noticed that the vertical strings seem to be getting dug into? I don't know how to describe it.. but the horizontals looked like they were digging into the vertical strings, and I want to know why, so I can get the right tension, or fix the problem.

I got the racquet about 6 months ago from Sport Chek, but as I said, I noticed the strings starting to wear out really fast when I had proper technique. I live on Vancouver Island in BC if weather might have something to do with it?

P.S. I have very powerful smashes and clears for a 15 year old if that changes anything.

Cheers, Q

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    because it is factory string, that's why?
    I have no idea why the string broke (especially because we don't know what type of string and the tension)
    factory string tend to lose lots of tension, it should be around 16-20 lbs

I would go for BG80 if you have pretty strong smash
    maybe at 20-22 lbs
    alternatively, Zymax 67 is also good

3. Quelray

Quelray Regular Member

Highschool
    Thanks for your feedback Avenger.

What about Nanogy 95? Both the BG 80 and Nanogy 95 are the same price where I'm thinking of getting my racquet restrung. I'll probably put it a 22 lbs because at factory tension, the vertical strings move alot after some hard smashes, and I have to push them back or I think the bird is gonna get stuck in the strings.

Cheers, Q

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    nanogy 95 (NBG95) is 0.70 mm gauge string
    it is durable (not snapped easily), but feels numb when you use it
    consider using it if you snapped the BG80 very quickly

BG80 is 0.68mm string, even though it is thinner (less durable than 0.70) but it gives you lively feedback
    Zymax 67 is 0.67 mm which is even thinner than BG80

no need to push the string back. it is actually not a problem
    maybe because your string is at pretty low tension that's why it feels a little bit loose

Zymax 67 also moves a lot (even with high tension)
    some people will feel terrified, but nothing wrong with it

I don't think BG80 moves a lot though..

after you get your racket strung, leave it for few days (at least one or two days), let the string settles in first

5. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Yeah, I've used NBG95's as well as 80's (the one I use now). I like the thinner string, it feels better for me.

I play at 22lbs, and my string breaks at an average of 10 days of play.

As for why your string broke... perhaps if you're hitting a smash or clear rather hard near the top edge of the racquet, it seems to break a lot easier there.

I'm also in Vancouver, BC atm :)

6. Quelray

Quelray Regular Member

Highschool
    I'm getting it strung at Tads Sports tomorrow and I'll probably get the BG 66 because from what I read it's better than the BG 80. :D

7. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Ahhh Tads... Who usually strings your racquets? Hugo?

BG66... is easy to break. I also recall someone saying the 66's are harder to play with than the 85's.

I like the 85's a lot... but I broke one in 2 hours after first use so I gave up on those lol.

8. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

9. Quelray

Quelray Regular Member

Highschool
    Never had my racquet restrung before, or might I say never had to. First time, and that link is making me wonder between BG 80, 66, 85 and Nano 95, thanks. :p Oh, and cost doesn't play any factor, I can grab whichever string fits my needs. :D

10. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Well, I'd say if you want to tryout the 66's... You should also give the 85's a try. I loved them... They just didn't last long for me... And the 66's being even thinner... well... I'm sure I'd break those faster.

11. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Oh, and even if cost doesn't play a factor, do remember that stringing a racquet can be somewhat troublesome if you're doing it a lot... It really depends, however, how often you break them. But if you don't have a spare racquet...

12. Quelray

Quelray Regular Member

Highschool
    I'll probably try the 85's then, and yeah.. I can string once per week at most if I really have to. :)

13. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Ah, that's not bad :)

I just got a whole batch of BG80's right now actually. Tell me how that 85 goes ^_^

14. Quelray

Quelray Regular Member

Highschool
    I'm so weak willed.. I went with the BG 66 Ultimax at 22 lbs. Everybody at Tad's said it performs a lot better than the BG 85. D:

15. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Haha yeah~ From what I hear, people say it feels like there's a smaller sweetspot, but when you hit it, the feeling is amazing.

I'd rather have more consistent feel... and plus 66 is too thin for me lol~

16. Ouchee

Ouchee Regular Member

If you guys need, I occasionally pick up some string job from the clubs in Richmond. My prices are much lower than what you paid for in Tads. Especially you need to try out different strings and tension, the cost will add up soon. Currently I have BG 65, 65 Ti, 66, 80, 85, NBG 95 & 98. I found that NBG 98 is really good for power, 95 for control.

17. Ouchee

Ouchee Regular Member

BTW, my machine is Gamma 6004 6pct with Wisehead.

18. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Where are you located? Just curious, but would you be able to give live stringing tutorials if I brought my racquet in to string? XD

I have my own Drop-Weight Machine coming right now. I've already watched and read everything and am pretty confident I can do a two-piece stringing without any problems, but I am curious to see it done live anyhow :)

19. Ouchee

Ouchee Regular Member

If you don't mind, I think is better for me to come over to watch you in action, this case if you do something wrong I can point out. Also I might learn something from you.

A blind leading a blind, this will be fun. lol

20. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

lol. Coming to my place would be a bit hard. I'm not in Richmond lol. And I doubt you'd learn anything from me. I'm still new to it XD