Victor SW35 or not?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Dekkert, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

Hi guys,

I need your expertise. I'm thinking about buying some SW35 rackets. I've read alot about this racket on this forum, especially very good things. However, I read different things about it. Some say it's really head heavy, others say it's not as heavy as the AT900P. Mostly I'm concerned about its stiffness.

First some info about myself:
    I play singles, doubles and mixed. I can play quite well and I'm not a beginner. I use a lot of power play. I smash when I can, but I also like to play deceptive. Kinda like Taufik, who's my idol ofcourse. I'm not so much of a wrist player. I'm more of an arm player.
    I used to play with MP99. Now I play with AT900P with BG80 on 28,5/31 lbs. It goes well. Smashes are hard and defence is good too. I guess I like the hold of the racket, cause I don't have a very snappy wrist.

I'm a bit afraid to buy AT900P again, cause with this tension the string cuts through the frame on the 4/8 o'clock section after a few stringjobs. However, it can stand a few clashes with others. So that I like.
    Now I'm looking for Victor. I've read Victor rackets are quite strong and good. I think the SW35 would suit me quite well, but I still have some questions. How does it compare to the AT900P? I might like a racket that is slightly (head)lighter, but still head heavy. I really don't like head light rackets. Some say it is lighter than the AT900, some say it's really head heavy... My AT900P has a BP of 298mm with string and one layer of supergrap.

The thing I'm most concerned of is its stiffness. I tried a BS10, which suppose to have the same stiffness and is slightly head heavy. Firstly, it feels too head light. Probably due to its aerodynamics. Secondly, I had some trouble with hitting the shuttle deep and/or hard. I really had to put effort in it. Probably the combination of not headheavy enough/aero frame and the stiffness makes it not suitable for me. Maybe better for wristy players.

So how would de SW35 play? Will the head heavyness result in some whippyness that the BS10 doesn't have? Is the frame strong enough for that kind of stringtension and racket clashes?
    Or should I try the BS11/SW36? Is the BS11 more head heavy than the BS10? I read different things about that. I know it is more flexible, but how much?
    And the SW36? How would that one compare to AT900P?

The thing is: I don't have THAT much money to spend. And I can find the SW35 for €90 in Germany. The other Victor rackets I can't find on the internet in Germany and here in Holland it's quite expensive.

Anyone some advise??? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

2. victorfan1

victorfan1 New Member

Have you thought about the MX80 a mix between the BS 10 and the SIW 35, ideal if you are not too sure about the stiffness of the SIW 35

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

If you have read a lot about this racket, then you will most likely have read some of the comments from it's #1 fan (I.e. me:p)

Honestly I would say go for it:)

To answer some of your questions:

Yes the head heavyness, does provide a bit of whip, you will notice it mostly when defending smashes in doubles, it's hard to explain, but when someone smashes at your body and you swing to play a lift, it is quite whippy ( hope this make sense:p)

Yes this frame is strong :) 30lbs no problem, my main one has been battered several times, in clashes and even by me when sometimes hitting it against the ground in frustration :p that was when I used 26lbs, and there isn't really any signs of damage, I sent it in for a restring at 28lbs absolutly no problems, I have a 900t as well, and the SW35 frame feels more solid IMO.

For me, the balance is just right, I too also like to use deception, and I like it. It isn't too head heavy that it's hard to move about instantly, however, its not too head light. So a subtle wrist flick is more than enough to send your opponent in the wrong direction.:)

The balance, it's one thing I have noticed, my primary one is around 300bp, but the other two, have the exact same BP ( slightly head lighter, although can't remember off the top of my head what the BP for the other two are. In terms of Head heavyness, think about it as a slightly head heavier Arc10, between Arc10 and AT900t Imo, but with the power of something a lot head heavier.

As Mark A puts it "pound for pound the one of the best attacking rackets" or something like that.

I think I covered most of it:p drop me a PM if you need more help.:)

4. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

The sw35 seems to be quite hard on my elbow. I suspect the stiffness causes it.

5. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

Hey, Thanks LD rules for your information. But still wondering about its stiffness. I play with BG80 28.5/31 but when I tried the BS10 it only had BG80 24/26.5 on it and still I had trouble hitting hard and far. I guess the stiffness played a huge roll on that one together with the rackethead being so fast. Will the transition from AT900P to SW35 be smooth?

So MX80? Is it similar to VT80? Cause I tried that one and although it was a 4U, I really loved it. But hey, the VT80 costs €160 here. Too expensive. And I expect the MX80 to be expensive too. It's not even for sale here, yet.

And on that German website (http://www.tennistown.de/product_info.php?cPath=25_135_314&products_id=6651) I can find cheap SW35 (only €90) but not other Victor rackets of interest. So maybe someone knows webshops that sell Victor rackets (SW35, MX80, SW36, BS11) not that expensive?

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

it could be that you used too low a tension, if 28.5/31 is your optimum tension, ten going lower will affect your game. It isn't much stiffer than AT900p, not a huge amount stiffer IMO.

If you have a 3U AT900p, you will notice that the SW35 3U will swing slightly faster, but it shouldn't be a huge transition, as they are similar. (it's not like moving from a very heavy head heavy racket, to a super light head light racket)

You can try MX80 as well, I haven't tried it though, so I can only comment on SW35. I think you should forget about SW36 though, it's not as good as SW35 or BS10/11.

HK is cheapest, try www.sohubuy.com I think MX80 is $140 + shipping, and SW35 is $125 + shipping or thereabouts.

7. whatever001

whatever001 Regular Member

another fan of SW35 :).
    thinking of getting another one. Or the MX80 or VT80, heard many good things about it, but have to find friends who have it first :)

8. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

Well, after reading these comments and already trying out the BS10, I decided to take the gamble and ordered three SW35 rackets. It had to be similar with the AT900P and the price was too good at only €90 a piece.

The BS10 felt almost like a headlight racket, despite being headheavy. The BS11 also didn't feel right, although it could have been because of the low stock stringjob (I was used to 28,5/31 lbs BG80).
    I was afraid it would be too stiff, but all I can say is: EASYNESS!!! When I got them and hold them, they felt really light, although they are 88 gr with a bp of 306 mm (original grip and string). And during playtime it doesn't feel sluggish. Actually quite manoeuvrable. It feels lighter and swings easier than my AT900P (1 layar YY supergrap, bp 298 mm) and much easier than my AT500 (1 layar YY supergrap, bp 297 mm) which somehow feels really heavy and sluggish.
    All overhead shots are easy. Clears are effortless even when under pressure and taking it far behind you. Backhands are no problem. Yesterday I strung them with BG80 at 29/32 and it was still easy to generate good power shots.
    Smashes were really nice! I think at the same level as AT900P. However, I can't compare them anymore, since my two AT900Ps are broken :(
    Dropping and netting are also easy to do.
    The only downside is when you're getting tired, it's hard to generate power because of the stiffness. Clears are not such a problem, but smashes become much weaker.

The feel is really solid and the frame also looks solid. The first night I had already 2 clashes (not that hard) but not even a paint chip.

So basically, you get a similar feel and at least the same amount of power compared to the AT900P, but it is more manoeuvrable. So it is also ideal for playing (mixed) doubles. It actually feels like a MP99 but more headheavy.

All I can say is that I'm in love with the SW35!!! I definitely recommend this racket.

#8 Dekkert, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  9. hduong

hduong Regular Member

I agree the BS 10 feels really light with a fast swing speed. BS 11 feels weird. Medium stiff and head heavy don't mix? I tried the 3U SW 35 and found the speed and feel good but not the stiffness. Too stiff for me.

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Enjoy your SW35's, I have 3 as well, all great rackets !:)

11. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

Dekkert could you PM the shop where you bought the SW35's? I'm looking for one as well and the prices in Holland are ridiculous indeed. In Germany I only found them for like 110 each. Thanks in advance.

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

13. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

Yes, tennistown.de is the one. €95 for the SW35, but when buying two or more it's €90 per racket. Ordering above €250 and there are no shipment costs.

14. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

No shipping costs to the Netherlands too?

15. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

Yes,

Belgium, Austria, Luxemburg and The Netherlands have no shipping costs when ordering above €250.

16. crazy sky

crazy sky Regular Member

Freelance
    I really wonder how much potential the SW 35 can go... The smash from SW 35 is wonderful and the defense is great too... My SW 35 currently strung at 26lbs, but would like to go for 27lbs. Anyone can suggest what are the best strings for SW 35 at 27lbs?

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I use VS850 between 26-29lbs regularly. Works great for me :)

18. crazy sky

crazy sky Regular Member

Freelance
    I am currently using the VS-800 as the distributor seller recommended, but the shop is far away from my house.

Therefore I may go for Yonex String next round as it is popular and easy to get in any elsewhere. Can you recommend me what types of Yonex string work great in 27-28lbs? :)

19. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    All the strings work great in 27 -28 lbs. Normally I use BG80, but the string may break too fast. Now I am trying BG66- Ultimax. So far so good. My BG-80 27 lbs break within 2 weeks. BG 66- UL can withstand about 1 and half month plus till now. BG85 is also a good option but the string went less tight after sometimes.

20. crazy sky

crazy sky Regular Member

Freelance
    Thanks bro... I used to strung BG80 for my APACS Lethal 60 and it last about 2-3 months at 25lbs before the string gone.

I will give a try to BG 66UM at 27lbs this time... ;)