Have you seen these drills?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by raymond, Apr 17, 2003.

1. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I notice the other day some juniors practising the following two drills:

1. Smashes - except the smashes are executed from mid-court. The other side
    of course has a defender. Both smasher and defender are not moving much
    (not much footwork is involved). What is the purpose of this drill? To improve
    the speed of the defender to faster smashes?

2. Mirror Images - One person is trying to follow the others move/stroke (or
    follow the leader). When the leader moves to my right and pretend to play
    a net shot, I'd move to my left and pretend to "mirror" him and play a net shot.
    What is the purpose of this drill? To improve reaction (since not only do you
    need to recognize the leader's move, but also have to formulate your own
    proper move, i.e. the opposite direction)?

What is your experience with these drills?

2. slacker4lyfe

slacker4lyfe Regular Member

Student
    i've done no.1 plenty of times, and it definitely improves a persons smash if ur on the smashing side, and the person's reaction time if ur on the recieving end of the smash.

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

yea and great to do while you're waiting for the courts to be freed up.

4. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i've done number 1 and 2..but i'd like to comment on 2..

well...i'm not particularily sure what it helps you with..but i'm assuming it does help with ur reaction and helps u increase the speed of your game...to me, the lead person isn't really tested (just the fact that he's trying to go as fast as he can which i guess helps endurance if you're being timed)..but the follower...he has to follow the lead and sometimes, it can be tricky cause if you're not quick enough, the lead person might go one way and you might be caught going the otehr way...so i just think that it helps build reaction and speed? if u know what i'm saying?

5. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I know this could be confusing. But let me try to clarify a bit. Not only does
    the follower have to follow the leader, but he has to go in the opposite
    direction as the leader (or at least I think they did it on purpose).

If the follower simply follows the leader, that's obvious. But I'm trying to
    get some perspective on the added complexity/twist.

As for #1, if I were to do it, I'd try to go to the very last base line and have
    my feeder feed me a high and deep clear for me to smash. I'm just wondering
    if smashing from the mid-court is something one would practise mostly for
    developing defence reaction (not much for the smasher but rather for the
    benefit of the defender, that is).

#5 raymond, Apr 24, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2003
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    raymond,

we do the mirror drill for a few reasons.

neither of the participants needs to have perfect techniques. the leader is practicing his footwork going to all corners and sides of the court. in general practicing the footwork, just "getting it". and at the same time, try to gain strength, endurance, smoothness and speed.

the mirror person not only need to know the footwork and be able to perform it, as he is reacting to the other person, he is practicing the transition at the base. the leader has in his mind where he will be going, the other person doesn't. so whenever the leader gets back to base, the mirror person needs to get ready and prepared to move to any other parts of the court. this is the transition that is so key to all footwork.

this simulates a real game situation, where you execute a shot but you don't know where you opponent will hit the shot next, it can be any part of the court and you need to be able to initiate your footwork and get there.

try it sometime. it is a good drill.

7. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Kwun, I agree the mirror drill is a useful variation on shadow since , like the drill where someone points and the player reacts, the player does not know where the next shot will be and so has to alter their initial step quickly. I think shadowing the same side as the lead is simpler and faster, going to the opposite side you need some thinking time and the drill is more confusing.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. i actually quite like the drill. having a partner also forces one to do aerobic drills like this. there is more motivation. similar to biking up a big mountain, it is always easier to have a partner so one can pace each other.

it is actually very difficult for the mirror guy to keep up with the pace of the leader.

9. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Kwun,

Motivation is the right word here. As we know if an athlete runs a distance in training regularly after a while his times will cease to improve and plateau. However introduce external motivation such as a faster runner to race him and his times will improve again. This holds true for many other forms of training.