Old cab 15 w/ string biting into frame

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by druss, Apr 14, 2011.

1. druss

druss Regular Member

So I have a customer who wants me to string this old Cab 15. The string has bitten into the frame in many places but 3 major locations. 2 at the top and 1 at the bottom. Here are pictures of the two at the top.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I've already told him that I won't be responsible for a broken racket but now I'm reconsidering whether I should do it at all considering the condition.

Any comments?

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Oh well, decided to proceed with some of the MBS grommet protectors and while you can tell it's biting in still, hopefully the rubber prevents any further damage. Also, since it's only for a 15 year old kid I told the father I'd only be willing to string it at 20 x 22 lbs, probably still tighter than the last strings on there.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I would do the same-Inform the owner of the risk and ask if he still wishes to get restrung.

The first picture looks bad, but the 2nd not as bad. There is a possibility the string could pull through.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

Ya, in person you can see the string cut almost 1/3 of the way through the racket, hard to capture it on "film" as I don't have a good macro lens.

I pretty much told the owner that the racket should be replaced anyway. My main concern was opening a new pack of strings and the time if the racket did break so what I did was take some scrap and just pulled the two center main strings with the MBS protectors on. Didn't break through so then I opened the pack of strings and proceeded.