what are you wearing?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by odjn, Apr 17, 2003.

1. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I see a lot of people wear all these different types of cloths when I go play badminton. There people that wear shorts, jeans, short shorts, ect...

When I go play, I like to wear my dark blue shorts and a small t-shirt (cus i sweat a lot). I really hate big t-shirts, cus when I sweat, my shirt absorbs everything and it starts weighing me down, like I'm training under 100x earth's gravity or something.:(
    I also wear two sweat bands on my wrists, and maybe one more on my forehead if i'm really sweating.

Neways, what does everyone like to wear, anyone have any good advice toward wearing the right stuff? Does anyone know how I could control my unstoppable sweating?:confused: :confused:

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I've tried quite a few different types of clothing and so far my favorite combination for performance and comfort is single-layer mid-length light nylon shorts with the mesh support and a polyester mesh t-shirt. I notice a significant improvement over wearing others like long basketball shorts and heavy cotton t-shirts.
    I don't like cotton because after you sweat alot, the shirt absorbs the weight and slows you down, as well as adding more friction which saps away some of the power. As for light mid-length nylon shorts, it doesn't absorb sweat like cotton mentioned above. I definetly jump further and higher with them compared to more fashionable (longer and thincker) shorts.

One problem though, I can wear mesh shorts because then obviously my underwear will show through:eek: and nylon doesn't breath, so a lot of sweat builds up in my cotton briefs. So much to the point that my shorts get wet enough to leave an imprint when i sit. Do you fellow BFers think it's acceptable to go commando? I'm thinking the nylon support mesh will keep the boys from being flung left and right so support is not an issue but the mesh is see through alas, and the shorts aren't THAT long. There's a small chance ... well you know. It won't be visible unless i'm sitting down and someone else across from me sits down and stares there too, but i'm not sure if i should take the risk of offending someone. Then again, the clubs I play at are adult only (18-24 yrs olds) and Canada is quite liberal regarding human anatomy. I doubt I'll get arrested or anything. Would it be socially acceptable to forego a little "decency" for extra comfort (and perhaps performance, but mostly comfort)?

Btw, for the guys, you all wear briefs and shorts with support right? I used to play in boxers and shorts without support. I felt sharp pains in my scrotum after intense play for a few weeks. I did a search on WebMD on found that pain is common for people who play sports that involve constant changing of directions without adequate support, and could lead to infertility. So watch out guys, keep your boys well supported.

For the (older) girls, do you sweat under your bra? How do you deal with that?

Mods, feel free to replace sensitive words as needed.

3. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    lol i play in boxers cuz its much more comfortable! i don't wear nylon mesh shorts, but rather nike ones..the silvery nice material. i like pairs that don't touch my knees much. that way i don't have to keep pulling them up. i wear plain white t shirts.. older tighter ones... large t shirts get pretty annoying. as for your situation BRL.. i wear boxers so thats almost commando. i wouldn't go commando if i were you.. its kinda embarassing if they say "sir you're hanging loose"..

4. bigredlemon

Yea that's what I used to wear too... except i wore double-layered basketball shorts (shell + full liner) and found it way too hot to play in unless i'm not moving too much. As for boxers... it's bad for the balls dude. Seriously, basketball players have gone sterile from that, and they don't even change directions as often nor as fast as badminton players do. Anyways when you start feeling sharp pains, be smart. We'll need to populate Canada /w more baddie players eh.

5. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)

Yea, basically any nylon shorts a good inch or so about the knee. As for shirts, I'll pretty much play in anything of a decent size. However, if u want top performance, I'd go for the Nike or Adidas sweat wicking material, wutever it's called. Yonex has some shirts made by Nike of the same material, and it seems to work pretty well. Either that or really nice light cotton shirts with a pretty snug fit to the body, with spare after every match or so.

And I dunno about the commando style badminton. I mean everybody gets SWASS after heavy sports, and just the shorts mesh may really be a little too much freedom. Try using some nylon or spandex briefs, many of the badminton players at my club use them, and I'm assuming they work well.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    BRL,

LOL, it will be a totally waste, if u won't be a science major. j/k :D

Anway, I won't be able to "free" myself as u metioned in ur post. I usually wear a Reebok basketball shorts (thank god, back in old days, they were not that long and loose), with a relative short boxer inside. This way, it will absord most of the sweat, as well as prevent some "accident features". ;)

The only down side is, sometimes, the boxer will get loose or "twisted" after several consecutive intense matches. Then, I will just go to the locker room and fix it up. Not sure about whether it will reall cause serious injuries as u metioned, but after the fix up, I surely feel more comfortable with all the movements.

7. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I wear long nylon Nike basketball shorts below my knees. Just like a few cm below my knees.

Wow, you guys are really going indepth about the boxors situation :)

8. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hey....

NOTHING

9. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    BRL briefs are too tight man.. i got pains with briefs!
    maybe i'll tell my mommy to buy me bigger briefs :p

and btw, i don't sweat like a beast so thats likely why i dont' have problems like some of you..

10. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    shorts and t-shirt. cotton, and mesh shorts to be exact.

#10 TrunkZ69, Apr 18, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2003
  11. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
  12. bigredlemon

i'll be more vague and mysterious next time. :eek:

as for motorcycle shorts... i think that would be too restrictive!

13. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Wow dude, 18.99 for one boxer brief. I think they're insane! LOL