MX 80 4U vs MX 80 3U

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Polaroid, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    What is there difference between the 3U verison and the 4U Verison of the MX80??

2. deathguyxx

deathguyxx Regular Member

4U is lighter then 3U

3. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    So does this it mean i get slight more power from the 3U verison?

4. Xero888

Xero888 Regular Member

That's usually how it works

5. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    Ah I see I should go with the MX80 3U :D

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

but the 4U is quicker. IMO if you are a big swinger then go for 3U, but if you have a strong wrist go for 4U. They don't just make the 4U without purpose

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Do they "make" a 4U? I think for most brands offering different weights it's just a case of happening to fall on the wrong side of the line (perhaps after balancing te handle?). Ofcourse you can do like Apacs and call everything 85gr +/- 5gr :D

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

of course they do. Do you think they will weight hundreds thousand of each racket before putting the label on? They can manipulate the weight by the wet carbon composition, hence producing the right quantity of 3U and 4U according to their wish. And how about those 3U only rackets, do they just throw the off weights to the bin?

#8 Yoppy, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Apparently not with those 86gr 4U's. It's not that hard for a machine to weigh thousands of rackets and separate batches or are you under the impression everything is done manually :D? Perhaps you can show us a recent upper limit 3U Victor racket? From the numbers I've seen come past most hover around the 85 gr mark with 86, 87gr. max 3U's and mostly 84-85gr. 4U's. If they created their own weightclass instead of following the standard set by Yonex(?) it would be one weight. I don't see Forza, Carlton, Head, etc. using weight classes. I think Yonex makes 2, 3 and 4U's but for other brands I'm not that sure and even Yonex 2U's hardly touch the upper limit of that range. Perhaps they implemented the weight classes just because of the off-specs they produce (the other brands that is). I mean we have all read how majorly off spec the Panda T-Pro's were, if you were to balance them all out I'm sure you'd have a couple of weight classes right there.

#9 demolidor, Apr 16, 2011
  10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Let me ask, does the machine weight each racket one by one or in one batch (say 100)?
    If you believe machine can sort the racket one by one then you should also believe it can produce rackets in such precision of its weight. Of course there is always some off specs, and fair enough if they relabel them into a different weight class, but sorry i dont think they just created a weight class to accomodate the off specs.

#10 Yoppy, Apr 16, 2011
  11. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    3u racket can take higher string tension than 4u .....

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Another the thing is; the weight range should be enough to capture the variation of the production. For example, a composition of some sort will fall between the range of 3U weight and so on.

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Thats right, and thats because the carbon is less densed in 4U. In other words, it has different composition to the 3U.

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Machines can detect a bad grape/olive/pee out of thousands and blow it of the production line by a gust of wind, it shouldn't be that hard to weigh a racket to the gram and separate them according to weight class before or after the paintjob.

By design or by result ;). As per Panda TPro example: explain those results? If you know a 4U is less dense and weaker naturally you are going to warranty it to a lesser tension. "Can take higher tension" = it can only be strung to the max. tension printed on the racket :rolleyes:? If the extra weight is in the shaft it doesn't matter for the stringing now does it?
    I don't see any point in "creating" 3 and 4U's if the range is only 3-4 gram ... The International catalogue doesn't even mention 3 and 4U's ... Maybe it's all marketing mumbojumbo to create familliarity for the fanatics :p

#14 demolidor, Apr 16, 2011
  15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Perhaps that is why they have separated them in weight classes despite the miniscule weight differences ;): warranty issues ...

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Anyhoo the point here was: does it really matter much for the MX80 or any Victor racket since the weight differences between the classes in reality seem to be miniscule from the reported weights (should probably re-check the various threads again to be sure), only a couple of grams (2-3) a variation usually reserved for a single weight class already and apparently some of the 4U's are 86gr by itself. I guess you could at least say you know you'll get the lower end of the weight range when picking a 4U unlike if you want an 89gr 3U and end up with an 85gr one :D.

#16 demolidor, Apr 16, 2011
  17. druss

druss Regular Member

I have both a 4U and a 3U and they only vary in weight by 2 grams, my yonex 3U and 4U vary by over 5 grams.

As a note on the manufacturing, I would not be surprised at all that some manufacturers produce rackets to a 84-85 gram spec then label them either 3U or 4U after weighting. As stated, weight can be checked by an industrial scale in under a second then shot down the appropriate line to be stamped. As a note, with quite a few friends in the electronics industry, and from a few articles, it seems that manufacturing of computer processors is basically the same. They are tested AFTER they are manufactured to test their speed then labeled accordingly. Because it tends to be a bell curve distribution, there are always fewer high end, high speed processors manufactured and the higher cost is because of supply/demand, not because it actually cost more to manufacture the processor.

18. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I have no desire to create a debate here as i know that you know as much as i do what Victor or YY do behind close door. I have my own opnion and you guys have yours, I can live with that no prob.

19. druss

druss Regular Member

Yep and like so many of our discussions, without an actual yonex or victor factory worker there is no way to know.

20. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

DC Badminton is the only supplier who goes to the trouble of weighing every racket. Eliminates any issues manufacturer's issues as you get what you pay for. Think everyone
    should do it this way as 1g could mean the difference from a 4u and a 3u. If I want a light
    4u contact Panda ask for a 81g or heavy 3u ask for 89g. My choice and a few g's make a difference for me. Don't think it would be a big deal having a weight machine generate a sticker and label the racket for the big mfg's.