PU or towel, can still not decide after 28 years

Discussion in 'Grip' started by maxp74, Apr 15, 2011.

1. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    Long story, but...

Started playing badminton 1983 and since then I have had many equipment changes. Rackets and strings, I can play with almost anything. Or at least get used to it. But when it comes to grips I still haven’t found any one (1) grip that fits me properly.

I know this is very individual. More so than racket balance and string tension, I think. Here’s my dilemma: Most of the time I use towel grip as a replacement. This has the least flaws. I get good power and accuracy in overhead shoots. I also get a good grip. Negative side is that the feeling in net play suffers quite a bit. It is obvious when I change to a racket with pu overgrip. Then I really nail the net shoots in a completely different way. Unfortunately overhead shoots gets a lot worse and i tend to loose grip easier.

So, does anyone have a suggestion? Are there any grips out there that might solve my problem?

Oh and don’t say I have to train harder. That has been done in the past with proper results. But I’m too old for that now. I need the quick fix. :D

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I guess you can't have the best of both worlds. You just need to weight the pro and cons. Then decide which will give you the most advantage, as for the rest I think once you get used to it, it will be much easier. That's only my opinion, maybe others can give more inputs.

3. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

Keep using towel grip and just try a different string until you like the feeling :D

4. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

best of both worlds by using both grips!

try the lin dan grip, he tapes the wood (or use PU grip) then add a towel grip just at the bottom 3/4 of the handle.

you'll get the power you want since you'll be smashing with the lower part of the handle & the feedback you want when you shift your grip closer to the shaft :D

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

PU grip (RKEP Super Soft, atm) + ResinPad - I'm NEVER changing now I've settled on this setup.