overhead forehand stroke.. i bring the side of my head to meet my upper arm.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Apr 16, 2011.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

hey guys, so i've noticed that when people do forehand strokes, their is moved away from their arm.

like if (right handed)
    / = head
    | = arm
    then i see people |/ when you hit the shuttle at the highest point

what i noticed about myself is that, when i extend my arm to meet the shuttle at the highest point, i bring my head to meet with my bicep at that moment.

im not sure im giving you guys a clear picture, but this is clearly wrong right? before i try to correct myself, by moving my head away from my upper arm as i hit the shuttle at the highest point, i want to make sure this is correct..

thanks guys!

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Please fill in the blank as I'm assuming you mean "head" but am not sure.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

In the process of bringing up the shoulder to reach up to the highest point, your head will have to naturally move out of the way sideways. It would appear that you're reaching sub maximally, so that's why you're not moving your head sideways.

4. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

As long as you are able to execute a high clear from baseline to baseline with minimal effort, it doesn't really matter where your head is

5. visor

visor Regular Member

It may not matter with a clear but it will matter more with a smash.

6. giant_q_tip

hi druss! yeah, i didnt check my post sorry about htat. but i meant the head.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    On a side note:
    Thinking about what visor said - this movement is often very very subtle. If you watch Lee chong wei execute his overhead shots in the most recent all england final, he is barely raising his shoulder at all (and hence his head hardly moves "out of the way" at all). I am not convinced that reaching the shoulder higher than shoulders level with the ground has many benefits in terms of reach or power, but for many players feels comfortable, so thats fine :) It obviously will help reach up a further inch or two, but I am not sure this is beneficial in terms of power generation, so i will have a think about that... but thats a discussion for a different thread :p

Onto the main point: I am not sure exactly what you are describing, but it doesn't sound very "natural". So, I will only say one thing: throughout the stroke, the head should remain in more or less, exactly the same place. Your eyes should remain at the point of contact before (obviously) during and slightly after the stroke is played. This will help you to remain balanced and hence control your shots. Moving the head is a common error, and creates an imbalance and hence difficulty aiming shots because the head is very very heavy!

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Matt

If you stand in front of a mirror and slowly go thru a smash or clear stroke, you'll see that your shoulder has to come up a bit as the shoulder has to abduct and gets thrown forward. In doing so, your head will have to move slightly sideways out of the way.

I suppose this effect is more noticeable when the bird is directly overhead or slightly to the round the head side, not so much on the far forehand side.

#8 visor, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  9. giant_q_tip

pretty much for every overhead shot i do, clear and smash; i always bring my arm (specifically the bicep) to meet with the side of my head when i extend my arm at the moment when i reach to hit the shuttle at the highest point.

,my arm doesnt completely meet and touch the side of my head, but its pretty close. however, when i see my friends hit the shuttle during a standing clear or smash; they dont bring their arm close to their head upon reaching for the shuttle at the highest point. instead they move their head away from their arm.

10. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

People usually lean because they use more body rotation to aid their shot, if you don't use as much body rotation then there isn't really a need to lean. Keeping upright will help with balance too.

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Visor, I agree, that is exactly what you tend to see happen with a lot of players, however, I was trying to point out that often, the amount is not that large - that was all - a couple of inches or so - but I wanted to make the point that it was for the forehand side. I would imagine that a good, on balance smash, should be well onto your forehand side and so the head position change less noticeable.

However, exactly as you say, it is very obvious to see exactly what you describe when the shuttle is directly overhead or in a "round the head position". I have just re-read my post, and realised that I wanted to point out that I was talking about shots on the forehand side, but I didn't anywhere. That was very silly of me, because i was thinking it but didn't write it. Hence, I was referring to LCWs shots on his forehand side.

giant_q_tip - I now understand what you are saying (i think). To me, that sounds like you are taking the shuttle (as just discussed with visor) directly above the body (or slightly towards the backhand side) and you are not letting your head move out the way, but keeping it upright (and hence your arm passes nearby). Is that correct?

I do not see this as a problem, if it is comfortable. However, most people would be more comfortable taking the shuttle further to the right of the body, instead of directly overhead. I would personally prefer to see a player, when taking the shuttle completely at ease on their forehand side, standing up nice and straight, head close to being upright (verticalish - although leaning slightly is fine) and taking the shuttle about a foot to a foot and a half to the right of the body (right hander) - obviously take the shuttle out in front as well.